• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Women’s Alpine World Cup 2023/24

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really interesting interview with Michelle Gisin in the Swiss mag Blick. It's in French but Google translate will give you a good idea.

She covers a lot of stuff, including the WC schedule, of course. For example she'd like delaying the season's start and ending the season later; she acknowledges there's pressure from gear and apparel makers to continue starting the season early-ish, as is, to capitalize on sales. She also thinks there should be a slalom at Sölden, in addition to a GS.

Her most interesting/provocative idea is to create new tiers for races — she compares it to tennis where you have Grand Slams and Masters 1000 tournaments. A victory in Grand Slam Slalom, for example, would get more points than in a regular slalom. (Europa Cup would be like Masters 500; she sees this as making transition from Europa level to WC level easier.) A regular slalom would be like a WC slalom now. She thinks this would prevent injured skiers to enter a race just to score points. Ideally she'd see four Grand Slam races in each discipline, though she acknowledges that it'd be tricky to spread them evenly among countries.

I'm not sure what I think about this, but I like that she's not just criticizing but trying to come up with solutions.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
Her most interesting/provocative idea is to create new tiers for races — she compares it to tennis where you have Grand Slams and Masters 1000 tournaments. A victory in Grand Slam Slalom, for example, would get more points than in a regular slalom. (Europa Cup would be like Masters 500; she sees this as making transition from Europa level to WC level easier.) A regular slalom would be like a WC slalom now. She thinks this would prevent injured skiers to enter a race just to score points. Ideally she'd see four Grand Slam races in each discipline, though she acknowledges that it'd be tricky to spread them evenly among countries.

I'm not sure what I think about this, but I like that she's not just criticizing but trying to come up with solutions.
This is very interesting. It could really drive up the interest in those grand slam races, and maybe help with TV coverage in the states. She is right in saying ski racing can't continue on the course it is on for much longer. Change is inevitable. Better to drive that change than to have the changes forced upon you.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the idea of simplifying the calendar and improving the efficiency. It will be an improvement for the planet and for the athletes. I do wonder why the western alps are being moved east of the eastern alps. That is a pretty big change that may have more of a climate impact than what is saved with the travel.
1712014195242.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I do wonder why the western alps are being moved east of the eastern alps.
Because the eastern Alps have more snowmaking (early season bias) and the western Alps have more natural snow?

Sponsor

Staff online