• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Windshield wipers

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes blades work longer if the windows are prepped before the drive.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...3.html?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Window Clean.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
funny! I will note that with lots of sand/grit, road miles one of the best things I did was replace the windshield in my truck when it hit 11 yrs old. Thing was pitted, made for glare regardless of how clean it was, sucked. I had hoped for 2+ years a rock would do it in .. pondered the ball peen hammer but just decided to replace one day.

Foolish me, expected $500, only $180 bucks complete, driving it home into the sun simply had me smiling and knowing it was one of my best spends. (wipers work better too!)

One of the big things I noticed with my new car was the windshield was so clear! The old car had little mini dings all over the whole windshield that I really didn't understand how much they were impacting my vision.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Costco went with Michelin wipers this fall 2018. I've had them on since late November. We haven't had hard rain since but they seem to perform well on morning dew, Since the rain season around here is realistically only through early March, any brand should work. Just wondering when they will dry out and start to squeek.

1545478162412_0_15454772361031532555361.png

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Looks like Costco went with Michelin wipers this fall 2018. I've had them on since late November. We haven't had hard rain since but they seem to perform well on morning dew, Since the rain season around here is realistically only through early March, any brand should work. Just wondering when they will dry out and start to squeek.

View attachment 61276
Keep an eye on the ends. Maybe I damaged one of those while clearing off the ice and snow, but all I know for sure is the end cap came off as I was driving on a long trip, I noticed when the rubber blade was half off, and my window was scratched.
I've tried lots of different options, and am now back to the OEM blades.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 61276
yeah, oddly as posted, when I bought Michelin wiper blades, they failed hard and fast for me. Love their tires but was surprised after thinking they'd last long. I did get them on Amazon so maybe they were knock offs ... this 2 or so years back before Amazon cracking down on counterfeit products.

Given @François Pugh comment, I'd be interested in how long yours last.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never used Michelin blades. Can't comment on them. The Goodyear blades Costco used to sell were real POS.
Bought couple pairs and had to replace them with Bosch Icons after couple days. They just skip and squeak even during heavy rain. Returned the other pair.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never used Michelin blades. Can't comment on them. The Goodyear blades Costco used to sell were real POS.
Bought couple pairs and had to replace them with Bosch Icons after couple days. They just skip and squeak even during heavy rain. Returned the other pair.
I'm wondering what's the difference.

My experience with the Goodyear blades have been good. My vehicles are 2008 Toyota 4Runner and 2012 Acura TSX wagon. Both have seen good amount of rain with the Goodyears. No streaking or other failures until the NorCal heat got to them. Replaced diligently every fall in preparation for the wet season.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wondering what's the difference.

Don't know. I have friends who buy Goodyears wipers from Walmart and they have no issues. Could be the batch.
I generally replace my wiper in the spring after we returned from our annual road trip. The wiper takes a beating during the winter road trips.
Always carried extra pair in the car - just in case.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have used the Goodyear blades from Costco without any issues. Just put on a pair with the Popular Mechanics name on them (not from Costco) also no issues.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I buy them when the go on sale at Costco. This year, as mentioned, are the Michelins. They seem to be working well. Usually my wipers dry out and get dusted in the summer in Nevada. I do use the window cleaning squeegee at the gas station to wipe them down and knock some of the contaminants off.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bosch Icon wiper blades and Rain-x washer fluid. I don't remember the last time I had to actually apply rain-x to the windshield.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bosch are better for a clean wipe for rain and melted snow. From my days plowing Michelin are better for heavy snow.

When you replace the blades leave the old ones in your vehicle in case you ever break one in the middle of nowhere.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Careful about using Rain-X washer fluid if your car has a rain sensor fr wiper actuation, it can mess with the sensor function

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Careful about using Rain-X washer fluid if your car has a rain sensor fr wiper actuation, it can mess with the sensor function

QFT, and doubly true if you treat your entire windshield with Rain-X.

I clean the area that the "sensor" looks through with an alcohol wipe after Rain-X-ing my windshields.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
QFT, and doubly true if you treat your entire windshield with Rain-X.

I clean the area that the "sensor" looks through with an alcohol wipe after Rain-X-ing my windshields.

Only on German cars, many manufacturers still use a physical float which isn't affected.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The cars I drive still employ the original Mark IV eye ball rain sensors. Unlike the newer sensors, the Mark IV sensors doesn't get spoofed by application of Rain-X to the windshield. Application of Rain-X directly to the sensors is definitely not recommended.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't mean the direct treatment, but the washer fluid. It screwed with the sensor on my wife's All-Track.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am looking with interest. Was about to pull the trigger on Rain X Latitude because the reviews said it prevents ice buildup, but then saw that Bosch makes something called a "snow driver" wiper blade. Anyone have experience with that one?
My biggest issue is that snow and ice tend to build at the tip of the blades and/or in between the blade and the frame, rendering them mostly useless.

Advice/experience appreciated

BTW, for a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland diesel.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid