• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why Pros & Experts really ski in 'race' boots

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
A stock racer boot (left boot) allows you to get the most lateral control & cut the shells down (right boot) to obtain a supple, weight/skill appropriate flex!

Race boots also have the option of running a stock (warm for cold days) liner or a full leather lace up liner (for control/power) when it counts.

image.jpeg

A new pair in process of being optimized to my skill/weight/terrain.

Hope you find this insightful!
Brian

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I thought race boots existed to taunt those of us with wide feet.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
For those wondering, this is the way you soften a boot the saddles are cut. You do not soften by taking the rivets out of the spine.

I get this, and have had it done, but why do the manufacturers themselves advertise that the rivets are for softening the boot?

Lewn

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Live: China & UK Ski: Chongli, Hebei, China & Alps
I've got narrow feet so I've decided on race boots, I think they'll help me with control. I'll buy for next season or the season after depending on finances and how much I like my current marginally too big boots over this season.
Do you have any preference on manufacturers and why? I will probably buy Atomic Redster FIS 130, as I often ski in Austria, as I've liked their stuff since I was a kid, but I don't have any real loyalty. Some other people were talking about race boots from Lange World Cup rp za+ or Zj+.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get this, and have had it done, but why do the manufacturers themselves advertise that the rivets are for softening the boot?
I guess for the same reason that the cuff alignment adjustment at the hinge screws say "cant" on them.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I wouldn't mind skiing in race boots. I've tried several on in the shop and really like the fit of the Head Raptor, although a bit too narrow and would need work and also the Atomic Redster Pro 90W, yup a women's boot. I could ski the Atomic right out of the box with no work needed I think. But, at the end of a day of skiing I'm stuck. Race boots are stiff and trying to open up the throat of a race boot after it's been outside in 20F or colder weather is more than a bit difficult. I used to own Tecnica Diablo Pros and way too many times my instep would be bleeding by the time I got my boots off. So I now ski in cabrio boots and get to keep all the skin on my instep as well as my blood. I've had no problems with lateral stiffness in the three cabrio boots I've owned. I'm going to see if those Atomics will fit my future daughter-in-law when she and our son are here first week in January. I'm hoping I can remove the temptation from the shop.;) But, she'll get whatever boot fits her best. That and helmet and goggles is her Christmas present, and some skis my wife used two times and decided she didn't like.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't mind skiing in race boots. I've tried several on in the shop and really like the fit of the Head Raptor, although a bit too narrow and would need work and also the Atomic Redster Pro 90W, yup a women's boot. I could ski the Atomic right out of the box with no work needed I think. But, at the end of a day of skiing I'm stuck. Race boots are stiff and trying to open up the throat of a race boot after it's been outside in 20F or colder weather is more than a bit difficult. I used to own Tecnica Diablo Pros and way too many times my instep would be bleeding by the time I got my boots off. So I now ski in cabrio boots and get to keep all the skin on my instep as well as my blood. I've had no problems with lateral stiffness in the three cabrio boots I've owned. I'm going to see if those Atomics will fit my future daughter-in-law when she and our son are here first week in January. I'm hoping I can remove the temptation from the shop.;) But, she'll get whatever boot fits her best. That and helmet and goggles is her Christmas present, and some skis my wife used two times and decided she didn't like.

Yeah, the Langes used to bite me bad on the instep. Ouch. The newer Tecnicas are a lot easier, with that soft section.

James

Out There
Instructor
... And on the fourth day before Christmas there was much whining about ski boots.

Boots suck.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
As I need to punch out 102 last boots, the last thing I want is a race boot. My feet cry from just the thought.

I heard about a boot a couple of years back with kind of a soft panel along the side edge. I forget why I didn't immediately go and buy such a thing.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
But, at the end of a day of skiing I'm stuck. Race boots are stiff and trying to open up the throat of a race boot after it's been outside in 20F or colder weather is more than a bit difficult. I used to own Tecnica Diablo Pros and way too many times my instep would be bleeding by the time I got my boots off.

Hairdryer. Boom.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Hairdryer. Boom.
Damn, thanks a bunch. Nobody ever recommended that and I never thought about it. When I wear out the two pair of boots I have now, I will revisit two piece boots.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I thought race boots existed to taunt those of us with wide feet.

Plug race boots have way more material and are more punch able, and stretchable then a typical rec boot, even high end rec boots. I am in the sister boot to the Scorpion 130/150 which is a 98mm last in a 26.5. My 110mm wide forefoot fits easily into a punched out 25.5 97mm Kr2. I actually can not buy a recreational 25.5 boot even the 103mm wide ones because they simply is not enough material to work with to make the boot work with my feet. Most would end up with slop anyways.

the other important thing about going to a race style boot is the ability to have alignment issues fixed by grinding the sole and adding Cant and/or lifter plates. Something that is again impossible with most recreational boots.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I heard about a boot a couple of years back with kind of a soft panel along the side edge. I forget why I didn't immediately go and buy such a thing.
Atomic Waymaker, one panel on outside of foot and Atomic Live Fit, adds a panel on the inside of the foot. Atomic also has a boot this season with a 102 last and can be punched out well beyond that.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Plug race boots have way more material and are more punch able, and stretchable then a typical rec boot, even high end rec boots. I am in the sister boot to the Scorpion 130/150 which is a 98mm last in a 26.5. My 110mm wide forefoot fits easily into a punched out 25.5 97mm Kr2. I actually can not buy a recreational 25.5 boot even the 103mm wide ones because they simply is not enough material to work with to make the boot work with my feet. Most would end up with slop anyways.

Interesting. Learn something new every day ...

Sponsor