• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do you have a quiver of mountain bikes?

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm bored and need something to post.

With skiing, I have different skis for different conditions. Ice/daily driver, powder, and touring for example. I've got only one bike, a hardtail 27.5+. I have no need/desire for another one. A few reasons for that. I'm a much better skier than mountain biker, so I have a feel for differences in skis while I don't really in bikes. Decent bikes are also at least 4x the price of a decent pair of skis. Gets crazy expensive.

So what are the reasons some of you have multiple bikes? Full suspension for the teeth chattering trails, or maybe to save your back? Hardtail for better climbing or more mellow trails? Does a certain bike work better in certain conditions? I understand having a MTB and road bike, but I'm only interested in MTB for this discussion.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't. I got one bike. Would more bikes be nice? Yeah. But I have other things to spend my limited funds on. And I don't really need another bike. If people have funds for five bikes god love ya!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
To me, it's all about the trade-off between ease of climbing vs fun on bumpy downhill. I can't ride my downhill bike up to get to the lift-serviced terrain - it's just too heavy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
27+ Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon FS bike for rocky, rooted trails.

Specialized Fatboy with Carbon everything, 100mm fork and 4.8" tires because it's FUN.

Surly Krampus 29+ because there is no such thing as wheels that are too big.

Ventana Full suspension tandem - why not?

Fat Chance Yo Eddy, because it was my first real MTB.

Road bikes and others because I own a bicycle shop, not a ski shop.

TS
nemesis256

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
27+ Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon FS bike for rocky, rooted trails.

Specialized Fatboy with Carbon everything, 100mm fork and 4.8" tires because it's FUN.

Surly Krampus 29+ because there is no such thing as wheels that are too big.

Ventana Full suspension tandem - why not?

Fat Chance Yo Eddy, because it was my first real MTB.

Road bikes and others because I own a bicycle shop, not a ski shop.

That's a serious list! But as an owner of a bike shop that makes sense. You sure like bigger tires too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
"Why do you have a quiver of mountain bikes?"

Why have a quiver of bikes? Why have a quiver of golf club SETS? Because we CAN. If you have room and like to buy stuff, and have room for the stuff, does it really matter why? If someone has 2 bikes they probably use both here and there for different terrain. If someone has 20 bikes they probably use up to 5 here and there, rest once in a blue moon. But, pretty sure they still LOVE them ALL and are glad to have 20 cool bikes. I have that many skateboards and most are hanging on the wall for display purposes 99% of the time. All are functional and could be ridden if I get the urge. About 3-4 get regular use.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
to me DH riding is a suffer fest.....I get way more burnt out because my upper body get wasted.....this is someone who spends a ton of time on pump tracks as well....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oh yeah. Just not my mentality on bikes. Bikes are meant to be a suffer fest. Just my mentality...

to me DH riding is a suffer fest.....I get way more burnt out because my upper body get wasted.....this is someone who spends a ton of time on pump tracks as well....

Both good points. One great thing about lift-serviced is that you can develop mad descent skills very quickly. A day of intense riding can be the equivalent of several weeks of XC descents. There's no risk (shouldn't be) of coming around the corner to find a hiker standing in your way, and you have more of an opportunity to refine through immediate repetition. Consequently, the first summer I rode the lift for a few days - I passed a dude on one of my regular XC rides. I had to force my way past - dude was decidedly unwilling to admit to himself that a girl could outride him. And that was after only 2-3 days of downhill.

If you ride with your butt off the seat and pedals at 3 and 9 all day, downhill can work your legs pretty hard, too.

But I get it. Sort of. I mean, I don't understand wanting to climb, but I understand that everyone has different interests. Lift-serviced ain't cheap, either. And I'm selling my downhill bike because it's wayyy overkill for what most of my friends and husband want to do, and it's actually overkill even for the most aggressive stuff I've ridden. In an ideal world, I'd get a less aggressive downhill bike to complement my trail bike - but that's a lot of money for something I don't do very often. And you really don't want to cheap out on downhill frames and components.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's kinda like XC skiing vs DH skiing..I get DH skiers are good athletes..but XC skiers have some of the highest VO2 Max results..it's just a different kinda thing. I mean people can try to convince themselves that DH skiing is cardio..but really? OTOH, any activity is better than none! So as long as you're out there doing stuff, who cares.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I mean people can try to convince themselves that DH skiing is cardio..but really?

I unfortunately realized this when I compared my heart rate zones mountain biking to my skiing. ALTHOUGH it's not a fair comparison, because I wasn't pushing myself on bumps or in trees this season. But still. Mountain biking, especially in the heat, often feels like an alien is about to burst out of my chest.

XC riding is not the same physical experience as downhill, of course. But I still get plenty worn out - just differently.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Quote of the day!

I had a lot of time to think about the exact sensation last Thursday afternoon. It was ungodly hot (for me, delicate flower that I am), and I turned around after 2 miles of extremely mellow climbing. I felt barfy every single moment of the climb and stopped about every 50 feet. The sun was at the wrong angle for shade. It was one of those "Why do I do this, again?" rides, and solidified my realization that I need to be riding in the morning, if at all possible.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Maybe the indoor ski hill should offer lift served downhill biking in the winter?:yahoo:

Probably too mellow and short, but maybe indoor trials riding?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There are 300 foot midwest ski hills that do well with MTB lifts over the summer.

Yes, but aren't they also pretty broad compared to an indoor ski area?

Sponsor

Staff online