• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where to go from here...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Ok why more dynamic movements? You need to find your limits before you can refine them. Most skiers do not move enough. He has a weak inside ski engagement. He doesn't counter enough, to give him more ROM.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ok why more dynamic movements? You need to find your limits before you can refine them. Most skiers do not move enough. He has a weak inside ski engagement. He doesn't counter enough, to give him more ROM.

Movements need to match forces. I think what you might be saying is to up the intensity by trying to ski the slow line faster. I wouldn't disagree with that as a means to open the 'what's next?' door. More than a couple here have suggested gates. I'm pushing back against the 'more angulation, more dynamic' because I see a lot of not very effective 'tech' skiing by folks trying really hard to create angles, dynamic turns, etc... relying on internal movements that far exceed external forces. Here's a great short clip of Ted free skiing at lower intensity levels. Lesser skiing? Nope. You've suggested to the OP the 'what', but what about the 'how'? Telling someone to 'angulate more' isn't likely to change someone's skiing much. Do we see huge amounts of angulation in the clip below? Nope. Do we see inclination above and angulation after apex? Yep. Why? Inclination gets the ski on edge early as the CoM gets ahear of the feet and pressure to the forebody of the ski in the intended direction of travel. Angulation allows him to move his CoM across the skis more readily because they're closer in relation to each other while managing centripetal forces on the outside ski... we're talking a lot of D.I.R.T. in addition to a couple of skill fundimentals here, which is something the OP's going to run into head first with the suggested value added intensity. .... all said for constructive conversation, not for starting a pissing match.
:beercheer:

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
And this one:

A little more intensity, bigger angles, but nothing forced.... when the dirt is right and effort commensurate to the forces, you get the sensation of effortless flow.

skifastDDS

AKA doublediamond223
Skier
Too much weight on the inside ski, you are using it as a crutch. Needs more counteracting at apex through to release. Too much up move in the releases. Good tipping movements with the feet, I would focus on strict outside ski balance in all turns. However, when transitions are fully extended very little foot tipping can occur. Phantom drags [tip down] and phantom javelins can help with the balance issue. This skiing looks very similar to mine a few years ago, and I have worked through many of these same issues. I'm sure you can ski all over the mountain just fine right now, but further refinements will allow you to experience much more ski performance.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good skiing. However, throwing in a lot of angulation too early gives you a little bit of park and ride. You should increase the angulation throughout the turn and that will power the turn finish.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I really like the analogy of skiing with as much energy and angles as is desired or needed. I am working on many of the same things and mainly what I feel you need at this point in your skiing is subtle refinement of some of the moves you are making. I too agree that your poles could be even shorter, or better yet, ask a pro fitter or someone you trust with credentials to take a look. (do you have adjustable poles, btw...I thought I saw some adjusters on them...try some that are too short...then work up to a comfortable length) This will allow you to ski through your pole swings a little more....There is only a small moment where you park and ride just a bit that might be holding you up at transition/initiation. (you rush the hip laterally and then it pauses momentarily until things can get lined up again...)
Perhaps, this along with loosening up the hips by really becoming aware of how you move your feet in relation to them, especially at initiation may help add some more progressive and earlier guiding of the feet and skis. If you can get to the point where you are engaging both metal edged tools under your body earlier in your turns your confidence to get them working for you will bring you to new heights. your are really close!
THEN...when you put it all back together, it will be more "whole body" as opposed to body segments....

that little vid of Ligety skiing like a mere mortal is spot on with regard to turn initiation. see how the skis are just guided from very early in the turn...actually, before it even starts he has already engaged them.

I found this little gem while playing with dolphin turns of all things. theres a moment there, where you "jett" the skis out just a bit at dolphin finish....well, right after that....and just before Avalement, there is a slowing of the feet. Let the hips win the race down the hill for that moment, then have the feet come around the arc and catch back up!

In turns this translates to a slight slowing of the feet at transition, which facilitates edge engagement and guiding the feet VERY early. it feels like they are still up the hill and you are almost pushing yourself down the hill with your new outside foot......because of your commitment to the turn, and long leg short leg, you have both skis working. My biggest hurdle with this was a mental one. commitment issues, I guess..... ;)

I agree with the suggestion of one footed railroad tracks, to practice with, which could morph into javelins and then right into skiing...its a fun way to play with versatility and range of motion. you can explore what is too much, and what is not enough..especially on that outside edge!
I can remember as a kid being taught how to "dance" on skis....short swing was in vogue and we played around with one footed stuff, first skiing on the right foot, both edges, then the left foot both edges...add rhythm and flow and an almost flightless feeling takes over...really cool....I can only describe it as a "dance"

play, play, play!

Im new to the forum and have read down several posts...good stuff!

I hope I can provide insight into what I find successful without being preachy at all...I still have a lot to learn and enjoy the whole process!

JP

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
john petersen wrote:

"I found this little gem while playing with dolphin turns of all things. theres a moment there, where you "jett" the skis out just a bit at dolphin finish....well, right after that....and just before Avalement, there is a slowing of the feet. Let the hips win the race down the hill for that moment, then have the feet come around the arc and catch back up!

"In turns this translates to a slight slowing of the feet at transition, which facilitates edge engagement and guiding the feet VERY early. it feels like they are still up the hill and you are almost pushing yourself down the hill with your new outside foot....."

Those descriptions are worth repeating. If it could be stated more briefly we could put it on a refrigerator magnet.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
;)

Evolution #1:

"In the race down the hill between your hips and feet....let the hips win"

"slow your feet at turn transition and guide them very early into the new turn. This will allow you to almost push yourself down the hill with your new outside foot.

JP

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Yeah. What you are saying is close but not exactly what Bob Barnes describes as the X-move, or infinity move.

I think of that as moving my feet around under the body in a sideways figure 8 (beneath me).
Slowing the feet down while allowing the upper body to get ahead of them down the hill is another way of conceptualizing the same thing, yes?
In both instances, there's a momentary "upside down on the hill" experience at the top of the turn.

I once pushed back up the hill rather forcefully during that moment, in creamy buttery smooth untracked early morning March wet snow. Something went wrong, skis went weird under me, I flipped and I slid into the woods at speed on my back, facing the sun, head first. A nice big boulder stopped me cold, not on the head, not on the neck, and not on the spine, thankfully. It was my scapula and clavicle that took the force of that sudden stop. I live today to tell the story.

So when you say to "almost push yourself down the hill" do you really mean "almost"? One can skate downhill, pushing forcefully. Or one can "almost" push. Or one can let pressure on that new outside ski build on its own while actively managing the inside half. All turns are not the same.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great skiing. I wonder what the 'trail map technology' for boot adjustment is that you mention in your video. About your skiing. On these slopes I would suggest that you just ski away and enjoy yourself. On the steeper slope I think I see a tendency to put too much weight on the inside ski (and a tiny bit of hip dumping). You probably do that on the easier terrain as well, but there it doesn't hinder you in any way. So pull that inside leg back more strongly and keep it light.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
OP , you show some nice skiing here, congrats for having the courage to post your video for MA . Smooth carved turns , good flow (on first review) however: (there is always one ''however'' when posting a video for MA and when the skier on the video is not Reilly McGlashan for ex) you have some serious stuff to work on.First of all remember that if you move your hips even a couple of inches up at transition -- you are extending and extension is by no means a beautifyl thing as far as high level skiing is concerned.When our angles come from extension our balance is off and we tend to push ourselves onto the inside ski and this will block us from effectively tipping our feet.I think that right now you tend to push against the big toe edge of the downhill ski to give yourself a platform to extend the old free leg in order to move your hips into the turn.Add the lack of enough counteracting and you have the stuff to work on.As good as your skiing may look, it is some serious steps away from a really high level skiing.Please concentrate on flexing your knees to release and tip immediately onto the new edges while the ski is light.When you release this way , the energy from the previous turn will help you move into the next turn.Never try to push yourself into the new turn.There are plenty of drills that can be useful in your situation and some of them were already mentioned earlier in this thread.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Hello Pugskiers,

First post here.

I've skied a bit this winter ( not as much as I would have liked ) and have created a video showing some turns from a few days.

Please comment on what I should do from here.

thanks in advance!

Intersperse some shorter turns that are at-will no matter where you are in the turns you're doing now. Go icier, maybe add very small bumps, perhaps with duller edges, and just get real comfortable, to the point of feeling very both stable and nimble. Then go steeper.