• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where to go from here...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Ski some bumps?

Nice skiing though. In the first and third clips, there's more lead change than you might want to see, and it looks like your balance over the outside ski is a bit compromised. These two are probably related, might want to work on controlling the inside foot there.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Beautiful skiing. Where to go from here...If you have not read reviewed it yet; refer to @Bob Barnes thread on the infinity move(https://forum.pugski.com/threads/the-infinity-move.277/). Also, in that post note that @LiquidFeet (pg. 8 or 9?) has a nice run down of the sequence of techniques needed to achieve. You're there, I think, except for the cross-over. Also, look at Bob's thread regarding skiing the slow line fast.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Great skiing. Nice smooth carved turns. Good rhythm and flow. Shows you have really worked on them. How's your versatility? I'd recommend playing with lane changes, hourglasses, pivot slips, falling leaves, skidded turns, and pain in the S turns. Also, get on variable terrain so you are going from steep terrain to moderate terrain and back. Challenge yourself to vary your rhythm, timing, and flow. Play with things, smile, have fun.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I can see a difference after the boot fix. In the first video's your knees have a tendency to come together. After the boot fix, gone mostly. I do the same thing, so I recognize the problem. So how do things go on steeper terrain?

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
Looks great! It appears from the video that most of this is on relatively moderate terrain; so maybe take this to steeper terrain and try going off the groomed (find some moguls)? Also, you might try to get your balance a little better on the outside ski, something that will present itself when you do move to steeper terrain. It is something I had to work on to gain a bit more speed control. Finally, maybe you could reduce the amount of lead change you exhibit, which, when combined with getting better balance on the outside ski, could help with angulation and grip?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello Pugskiers,

First post here.

I've skied a bit this winter ( not as much as I would have liked ) and have created a video showing some turns from a few days.

Please comment on what I should do from here.

thanks in advance!

Beautiful skiing.

Now go to a steep mogul run and try to maintain the same style and composure. Head to the alpine and deal with variable snow. Both will highlight any imbalance that you might have in your skiing but looks awesome in the video!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
More dynamic movements. Inside ski engagement with counter. Get that upper body facing towards(fall line) the next turn. Nice turns by the way.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
More dynamic movements. Inside ski engagement with counter. Get that upper body facing towards(fall line) the next turn.

Respectfully, Here's the question... why?

When looking at good skiing, we all need to ask what he's trying to accomplish and what he'd like to do better. The change in his left footed turns was notably better after playing with some trail map shims. It got him more engaged inside foot on those left footed turns which made his transitions smoother/more accurate, made for better 'flow', and continuous circular motion and management of forces without relying on extra unnecessary movements on his part... managing forces rather than artificially creating them. The latter leads to the 'more dynamic movements' point. Again, why?

I think others are rightly suggesting gates, variable snow/terrain, bumps, changing turn radii, etc... to get him into a place where his 'tells' become more apparent, but 'active dynamic movements' for the sake of dynamics usually leads to affected skiing movement patterns... 'style' vs. effective outcomes... just as much as necessary, but no more. Even WC'ers do this while racing. And why more counter? Beyond a certain point, over countering leads to bracing (re poor alignment/stacking), less ability to manage pressure control/control edge angles from the feet up, and move effectively along the length of the outside ski. This all leads to the last question. 'Why?' Why is his skiing good? 'What' would he like to do better? And 'how' do we get there?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Mark, excellent post. We all ought to start with understanding what the OP is attempting to accomplish. It's also important to understand what his understanding of his own skiing is. That is, what stage is he at on the unconscious incompetence, conscious incompetence, conscious competence, unconscious competence continuum.

Mike

TS
Deadslow

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello,

thanks for all the good comments and suggestions.

Things I'm working on / will continue to work on / will now work on:
- inside foot pullback / reduce lead change - underway
- variable terrain - need to seek out more often
- not afraid to ski drills (etc)
- play / have fun - that's why I ski
- rhythm & flow - constant goal
- steeps - not bad (see new video below) - need to ski more often
- moguls - you're given 10,000 mogul turns at birth - I'm at 9,852.4 - so not too many mogul runs anymore
- heli skiing - completed - but always up for more
- pole length - what??? I've already cut 10cm off them already (true)
- pole plants - i'm trying to 'soften' my plants on LR and MR turns, but firmly plant for SR / steeps
- end result goal (competence continuum) - to continue to get better - technically and to be able to ski the whole mountain (except moguls - see above); remain faster than my kid (haa!)

here's some video from today - definitely some 'tells'

thanks again for the input!

cheers!

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Biggest thing I saw was a lack of balance on the right footers, that slip to the inside on one of the turns shot from below, and pretty consistent divergence when shot from behind (the sidehill does make it harder). The root of that is being a little tall and rotated inside in transition, the extension limits your edging range of movement early in the turn at lower speeds. I would work on staying lower and getting both skis on edge cleanly at the top of the turn. Railroad tracks and one footed railroad tracks would be good drills.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice! Smooth turns, good rhythm changes. Here's about all I can offer without skiing with you. You probably do this considering your videos and comments. But this is not only for you but others reading this:

To improve, ski with a focus. What is my focus for today, for this run, for this turn.

Have fun with it. :)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, off-topic here, but I need some direction. It seems you guys all see small things I don't necessarily see, and I need some instruction on how to see them. You are all talking at the senior level and I'm at the level of my freshmen who look at a poem and can't even understand it, much less see the interplay of symbol, metaphor, and language.

Where can I go to SEE examples of differences in "tip lead", "inside ski engagement with counter", etc. What I see from the OP is pretty good skiing...but in the clueless way that my wife sees "pretty good basketball" when highlights of Lebron come up. I need someone to show me a concept with it done poorly and then better. Any specific leads?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
OK, off-topic here, but I need some direction. It seems you guys all see small things I don't necessarily see, and I need some instruction on how to see them. You are all talking at the senior level and I'm at the level of my freshmen who look at a poem and can't even understand it, much less see the interplay of symbol, metaphor, and language.

Where can I go to SEE examples of differences in "tip lead", "inside ski engagement with counter", etc. What I see from the OP is pretty good skiing...but in the clueless way that my wife sees "pretty good basketball" when highlights of Lebron come up. I need someone to show me a concept with it done poorly and then better. Any specific leads?

I am like you, and almost certainly less advanced, so I can't help much. But I like taking a ski lesson now and then to get an expert tell me the very many things I can improve, and working on them one at a time :)

I do think Josh Foster has a very nice series online. I also like Ski School by Elate Media, which also has short videos, focusing on one thing at a time, though I know not everybody here likes the demoing abilities of the guy running the show. I actually opened a thread for video instruction, here:

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/favorite-video-s-for-ski-instruction.2577/

This is a nice video from Josh Foster on lead change:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

The way I read your message, I think you are looking for help with your Movement Analysis more than your own skiing. The OP looked pretty near perfect to me, too, but after I read the comments I was able to go back and look specifically for the things that were called out. I think I found at least some of them with those hints to help me. It would help if one of the senior MA'ers here would volunteer to pick out some times when particular points can be seen.

Sponsor

Staff online