Where and When Did You Learn to Ski?

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by SShore, Apr 19, 2017.

1. SShore

SShore Getting on the lift Skier

For me it was Monarch Mountain, Christmas break 1972 (yes, I am old:ogcool:). Leather lace up boots, 150cm straight skis and scotch guarded blue jeans. Those were the days.

newboots and Mendieta like this.
  2. ADKmel

ADKmel Instructor & Ski Bum Skier

1961-62 (crap I'm old too) Royal Mt. NY. .. ditto leather boots, wood skis no edges. rope tow and t-bar

newboots likes this.
  3. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

Back yards and farm hills of central Minnesota on way too BIG garage sale gear mid 1970s. First lift served skiing at Buck Hill around 1976.

newboots likes this.
  4. Ken_R

Ken_R Getting off the lift Skier

December 1984, Killington, Vt. I was 11. My family took us there for a few Xmas holidays. I remember there were some days with good snow but some absolutely brutally cold days and patches of pure ice were quite common. Havent seen ice like that on a ski slope since then. Bear Mountain looked so so tough to me then I could never imagine skiing it. The moguls looked the size of VW bugs to me. After a few years of going on holiday there we went to Beaver Creek and it was heaven.

newboots likes this.
  5. Philpug

Philpug Gathermeister--Utah Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Where: 1975 Camelback Pa.
    When: Still trying to figure it out.

newboots and Uncle-A like this.
  6. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Skier

After college, 1978, Scotch Valley, NY.

newboots and Uncle-A like this.
  7. JonHammond

JonHammond AKA roverdisco Skier

1984 Ober Gatlinburg. Suicide skis with Spademan bindings (lanyard, no brakes)!

newboots likes this.
  8. Bill Miles

Bill Miles Putting on skis Skier

1960, Snoqualmie Summit, Washington. Riding the ski school bus up on weekends.

newboots likes this.
  9. Cheizz

Cheizz Craving camber Skier

My first ski experience (six full days of instruction) was Am Feldberg (Germany), as a kid, somewhere in the late 80's. Then, 3 or so years later, another week of skiing (full day lessons) in Switzerland, near Scuol. I wasn't very good at teaching my body new movements - still bump into chairs and tables often. Had a private war with the drag lift too. It was a tragedy.

But then - some 16 years later - I fell in love with a girl who skied, and her family did too. So she, some friends and I went to Val Thorens and I got hooked. This was Christmas 2010. Ever since, I've been addicted to skiing, traveling to the Alps a few times each season, taking lots of lessons and training on an indoor snow slope when I'm not able to make trips to the mountains. I get some 30-40 days in each season (indoor sessions not included). Not too bad.

newboots likes this.
  10. surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl Going into my 3rd season as an instructor Skier

I learned to snowboard in 2000 and ski blade in 2008 at Bear Mountain in southern California. When i switched to longer skis it was 2012 at Butternut in western Massachusetts.

newboots likes this.
  11. avantskier

avantskier Booting up Skier

ski: 1985, Nashoba Valley; been hooked ever since; my son started this winter at the same place, 1 year younger than when i started...circle of life or something :)
    snowboard: 1997, mt sunapee (~30 days of this and i was back to two sticks for good)

newboots likes this.
  12. SBrown

SBrown Chuck Norris Admin Pugski Ski Tester

1973, Copper

newboots likes this.
  13. Jenny

Jenny Getting on the lift Skier

1996, Caberfae Peaks, as an adult learner (age 33)

pretty much straight skis, too big boots, jeans, tow rope - hated it

took a few more times going out to start to enjoy it

newboots, markojp and trailtrimmer like this.
  14. Lorenzzo

Lorenzzo Snow Skier Skier

I really think I learned to ski on the ponds and in the rinks of Massachusetts when I was really young so say 1965. Hey, it was the 60-s man, don't tell me I couldn't learn to ski on a pond. An unfortunate truth is while I did play ice hockey, the first couple of seasons were spent on figure skates, wearing a dopey long coat. I didn't actually put on real skis until I was 21 but by then I'd already learned to ski.

newboots likes this.
  15. skibob

skibob Out on the slopes Skier

First started at "Nashville Alps" which is (was) in Indiana, not Tennessee and far from "alpine" :huh:.

Early 1990's.

Still learning:daffy::crash::daffy::crash::daffy:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    newboots likes this.
  16. skiprob

skiprob Booting up Skier

Winter 1972-73

I was nine.

The local congressman had a J-bar installed on this ridiculously tiny little hill next to the state run golf course between Morristown and Ogdensburg NY. The lodge and the upper lift house are still there. The site is now used for cross country skiing.

My mom was struggling with being a single mother of four. Some of her friends talked her into trying out skiing as a family activity.

So she pieced together these setups of borrowed and used equipment for me and my three sisters. I think we did buy some ski equipment from the local marina as well. For some reason, Americana bindings come to mind.

Anyway, my first time was at this place. I stood there and cried and refused to go down. On of my mother's friends came up to me and said, "Look over there. I bet you can go down that part of the hill."

I did.

I never thanked that woman. I often thank my mom.

After that my mom would ship us off on the CYO bus trips to Big Tupper and maybe, if we were lucky, Whiteface.

newboots, Mendieta and fullStack like this.
  17. Michael Kane

Michael Kane Kano Skier

W 32nd Street Hill somewhere around 1967

newboots likes this.
  18. midwestfabs

midwestfabs Booting up Skier

2007, Buck Hill in MN

newboots and crgildart like this.
  19. Dwight

Dwight Getting off the lift Skier

Sometime in the late 70s at http://tyrolbasin.com/, about early teens. Really don't remember exact first time.

newboots likes this.
  20. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Getting off the lift Skier

Fieberbrunn, 1971-72, a full week of instruction during Christmas break from school in Vienna. I hated it.

newboots likes this.