• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wheels!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
i really like wide carbon wheels for their supreme traction, stiffness and solid feel, so in looking around, i found some close outs on Ibis's 741 rims at Fanatik Bike. I paired them up with I9 Torch Turquoise hubs to match up with the Yeti colors. I like the clean lines and look of thes wheel, so i wont be putting any decals and them; the Yellow "Maxxis" on the tire is enough bling. Fanatik has a really cool online wheel building tool where you can select, rims, hubs spokes and such. Their prices are great and they had the wheels built in a matter of a couple days. I was beyond impressed with the customer service and when I had questions, I received almost immediate email support. They sent me FB messages keeping me apprised of the status. The set weighed in at 1783 grams. Not bad for a $1,285.00 carbon set of i35 rims.

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/wheel-builder Wheel builder tool.
http://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-review-ibis-741-carbon-rims/

ibis 741.jpg
ibis top (2).jpg

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
they wont change your world but they are nice and with your level of riding, you may feel more stiffness and control. What ID wheel did you get? You will def' feel much more stability with a wder 30+ ID undoubtedly.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nice! We decided against wide wheels after some discussion. I wonder how it might impact your mud clearing - not that that's a frequent issue.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Curious. $1285 for the rims or for that wheelset? Not sure how they make money selling those wheels for under $1300.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
they wont change your world but they are nice and with your level of riding, you may feel more stiffness and control. What ID wheel did you get? You will def' feel much more stability with a wder 30+ ID undoubtedly.

26mm. Which for me is wide. I'm used to 19s and 21s. 23 for DH.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Monique - mud clearance shouldnt have anything to do with width. the rear of the YEti SB5 V2 will take a true 2.8. Not being critical at all, but the stock wheels are i25 so they will be fine for the stock tire config. Ride em' enjoy em' At some point, if you go with wider tires, up to a true 2.5, a i30 is fine.

@Jersey Skier - yep, they are on closeout so the "new" improved wheelset, 742's are 1800.00. its a killer deal, Not the lightest but within 100-150 grams.

@epic you will feel some difference but in my limited experience, owning I9 Trail carbons, i26, I could feel the difference when going from the stock Giant wheels, However, when demoing various widths, the real felt difference was from i30 and i35.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Mounted up the Rekon 2.6 inflated right off the bat to 2.48 @32psi at the casing and 2.51 at the cornering lugs. In the AM, I lowered to 17, didnt change more than a mm. the wheel is 28.3" tall

edit: I read incorrectly

rekon 2.jpg
rekon 3.jpg
rekon1.jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Those better be dirty by now!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Its steamboat, you have to allow a day or two.......

I'm cranky about the current situation at my shop. I gather that some of the special order replacement bits (saddle, tires, pedals) were subsequently not in any way actually ordered. GRRR.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I'm cranky about the current situation at my shop. I gather that some of the special order replacement bits (saddle, tires, pedals) were subsequently not in any way actually ordered. GRRR.

Ahh, I see. You have to adjust your expectations. I always just assume something will get missed or F'd up.

BTW- "Cranky" is that your attempt at bike humor :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ahh, I see. You have to adjust your expectations. I always just assume something will get missed or F'd up.

Yeah, I just realized I should look at it like hiring a contractor for any kind of home project ... which is why I'm heading over there in person shortly, rather than just calling, to iron out some details.

BTW- "Cranky" is that your attempt at bike humor :roflmao:

LOL! I've made that pun intentionally a few times, but not this time. The one thing that shouldn't need to be changed is the cranks!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I have a frame a seat post and a front wheel. Patience.

Good news! Bike is pretty much fully assembled - I brought my Ergon grips and they handed me the Yeti grips so I can put them on the old bike. Saddle will arrive tomorrow. They mounted the same tires I'd demo'd with, since I liked those just fine. Ratchet, I'm told, is easily swapped. The pedal thing got lost in translation, but after looking around and finding that Deity doesn't seem to make magnesium pedals anymore and they're all considerably broader than mine, I've decided to simply keep my old pedals.

My sales person apologized profusely - he'd had a family emergency. Totally understood.

So I have a fit scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. *bounce bounce*

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ratchet, I'm told, is easily swapped.

Make them show you how they do this.

It's so easy, and so cool (esp if you appreciate mechanical design elegance).