• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's your skiing level?

What's your Skiing Level?

• 1 - What a ski?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2 - Beginner I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 - Beginner II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Beginner III

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • 5 - Intermediate I

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • 6 - Intermediate II

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • 7 - Advanced

Votes: 41 55.4%
  • 8 - Expert

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • 9 - Over the top

Votes: 8 10.8%

• Total voters

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, gals and boys. Here is a softball for all of us to indulge in the ancient art of instant gratification (*). THIS LITTLE WEIRD TRICK I will share with you will improve your skiing level by 2 incremental points in no time.

You must be thinking, "Wait Mendieta, this can't be true". Well my dear friend, this is your lucky day. Yes, just fill in the poll, and your skier level will improve instantly. IT WORKED FOR ME.

(*) @KingGrump : I am looking at you. Please don't say it.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
What he is eluding to is that most skiers overestimate their 'level' relative to how they really ski.
But I'm telling you I REALLY do have fun every run!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I see no good coming from this thread ...

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Love the responses. FWIW, the intention of the thread is to kick back, laugh and relax a bit. But it's also interesting, I think, to see the distribution of ski experience among our crowd. Not so much who is who, but rather, how many in each bucket ...

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I put down advanced..then changed to Intermediate II cuz I suck at moguls..then I thought I can kill it in GS..then I thought crust is trouble for me..then I thought...

Then I thought, yeah, every run is fun like Bill says!

Yeah, though, in the definition I linked up in the OP, you would be at least a level 7.

To me, one of the interesting things with skiing levels is that they are logarithmic in time: it takes a day to move from 1 to 2, a week from 2 to 3 ... by the time you get to the highest levels (particularly the last three), it takes most people years to get to the next level. Or so I hear ...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dropping faster than my din drops with age. I do appreciate the additional nastar handicap. I wish it came with a matching parking pass.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
To me, one of the interesting things with skiing levels is that they are logarithmic in time: it takes a day to move from 1 to 2, a week from 2 to 3 ... by the time you get to the highest levels (particularly the last three), it takes most people years to get to the next level.

I think this is a major source of the "terminal intermediate" concept. It takes a serious time investment to keep getting better. Of course ... most people who ski don't necessarily think in terms of ski school levels, since they're not taking lessons, anyway. I'd guess that most people who call themselves "expert" are level 5. (Including me, at one point, not knowing any better.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FLAWED!, Does not go to 11.

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK I am a 7.

But before 1pm on a Mt I know and love - I am an 8 in powder and if Ernie Silva, Randy Bell, Jon, Mike and ....................aren't there I am a 9.

If screwed up and took the wrong skis up the 35min gondola at Silver Mt. I might be a 6.

If the snow is 12 inches of powder with 2 inches of rain on it then I might be a 5

AND we won't even cover after lunch if I had two Moosedrools.:crash::beercheer:.

Sponsor

Staff online