• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's Your Current Ride?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I know most of you are Mtb'ing but I hate putting my bike in truck to drive and then ride - so road for me mostly. Current whip:
View attachment 8751

Mosaic RT-1
Campy SR gruppo
Campy Shamal Mille wheel - stickers now removed
SRM - 52/36

I just picked this up this spring.

Raleigh Roker Comp

1936159_10154914905798357_9159664435401558059_n.jpg

Its basically a carbon dropped bar 29er though. Thru Axles front and rear, hydro disc brakes the ability to run up to a 2.0 tire. Changed out the handlebars to FSA Omega Compacts. The Stock cranks were 34/44 and seriously undergeared on the top end. it now has a 50/34 which is perfect for road, to gravel to class four road with a 11/32 11 speed cassette. Still having trouble setting up the stock tires tubeless....... they seem to seep tons of air.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Recommendation for the trainer: buy a cheap extra rear wheel and cheap (hard) tire. Those things eat tires.

Burning through tires is one of the reasons I bought my Cycleops 400 Pro:
cycleops_400_pro.jpg

^a kickr, zwift and that Roubaix would work. And at least take some of the monotony out of "riding in the basement"
I also hate dragging my bike in and out of the garage. It's super nice to have the bike all ready to go, no setup required. It's got a built-in PowerTap, and works as smarttrainer/ergometer with TrainerRoad. I'm not sure if it works with Zwift, but I'm pretty happy with the combo of TrainerRoad and Netflix to keep my basement time as enjoyable as possile.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Burning through tires is one of the reasons I bought my Cycleops 400 Pro:
View attachment 8805

I also hate dragging my bike in and out of the garage. It's super nice to have the bike all ready to go, no setup required. It's got a built-in PowerTap, and works as smarttrainer/ergometer with TrainerRoad. I'm not sure if it works with Zwift, but I'm pretty happy with the combo of TrainerRoad and Netflix to keep my basement time as enjoyable as possile.
Ah, yes. I just assumed anything cycleops was a trainer (ie, clamp your bike in). Looks pretty sweet. If I had to drag my bike to the basement, that would be a pain. I have a detached office and just keep it in there in the winter. 3 minutes to switch rear wheel and clamp into trainer.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Heh, I took an old Centurion frame, put Biopace and an old triangle aero bar on it (no brakes just levers and hoods), it lives on the trainer now.
Had to get a second trainer for the gf tho.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Heh, I took an old Centurion frame, put Biopace and an old triangle aero bar on it (no brakes just levers and hoods), it lives on the trainer now.
Had to get a second trainer for the gf tho.
I've considered doing something like this. But I don't really use the trainer that much. In coastal CA I can ride all winter. The only time I don't is if it has rained for several days and I am feeling lethargic, which happens if i don't get enough exercise. Then I'll do an hour or so on the trainer just to keep myself sane. If I lived somewhere where biking in the winter was just a no go altogether, I'd do that, or even something like what T-Ball did.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I. If I lived somewhere where biking in the winter was just a no go altogether,

You'd get nordic gear, c'mon.

It's absolutely hilarious how many cyclists around here piss and moan when the county doesn't plow the MUPs -end of the world- but they're too precious to either get nordic gear or get a snowbike.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
You'd get nordic gear, c'mon.

It's absolutely hilarious how many cyclists around here piss and moan when the county doesn't plow the MUPs -end of the world- but they're too precious to either get nordic gear or get a snowbike.
Or I'd get nordic gear, quite right. I think it looks like fun, but I don't live where I ski. So every time I am there (Tahoe) I want to slide down mountains and have thus never tried it. Same thing with snow biking.

Funny story. On my regular road ride route there is a nice house an a pretty steep hill. Some days when I ride by there are 1-3 guys in the garage, door up, with their super high end race bikes clamped into trainers. A very large screen TV (60" at least) in front of them playing some kind of biking simulator. I am sure it is some kind of training program that probably gives them a better "workout" than my totally random rides.They'd probably leave me in the dust. If they look up I always wave. And think to myself, why don't you just go out and ride?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online