• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's Your Current Ride?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Who's riding what and why?

For me, I do a fair bit of endurance racing, and over the years, my "race" bike has become a 120 mm Trek Fuel EX because it is SO much more fun while training and just riding than a true 100 mm race whip.

I've also got a 140 mm Trek Remedy for more rugged trail riding and the occasional sojourn to Moab. Although it only has 20 mm more travel than the Fuel EX, its suspension curve is quite a bit softer off the top, so it rides significantly cushier.

Both in 29 (always remember one of the cardinal rules in serious mountain biking: Pick a wheel size, and be a man named Richard about it).

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MTB: 2014 Kona Hei Hei, 29er, FSR, XC. That's all the initials I can come up with. Love the bike, very nimble for a 29. I like the way 29ers roll over stuff easier and of the ones I tried mine is the most responsive and maneuverable. I found a leftover 2014 in 2015 and paid $1,500 for a 2K bike...still on the low end for a decent bike.

Last summer I attended an event where I demoed a Santa Cruz 5010X. About 6K worth of carbon fiber, 27.5" wheels and it totally upped my game. Bike rode like a dream. I don't have 6k to spend on a bike though!

Road: Just got my first ever road bike. A well reviewed entry level Giant Defy. We tend to do 15-30 mile road rides from our place or sometimes go somewhere and ride along the coast. Robin has a road bike and I am always working so much harder. Now riding on the road is much easier.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My bikes parallel Crank's to a degree, especially the MTB

MTB: Breezer Supercell Pro FS XC 29er. Same, bought a 14 in 15 and got a helluva deal. $2,800 msrp, $1379. Whole lotta bike for the money.

Road: I have a Fuji Sportif which, component wise is practically identical to a Spec Roubaix disc model priced around $2,000. Main difference is the Fuji is carbon in the forks only. Great bike, more comfortable than the race bikes everybody seems to be on these days. Crank: your Defy is very similar geometry with a little more room for bigger tires.

I like the ride and versatility of the bigger tires (Fuji is 28mm) so I am building a bike on a Chromo Jamis Coda Sport frame. It takes 35mm tires, but slicks, not CC (of course I could put CC tires on it). Probably would take 37-38mm. I *hope* the ride and performance are such on this that it replaces the Fuji. But if it doesn't, the Fuji is a great ride. Like the fuji it will be 2 x 10 w/ a compact up front and 11-32 rear. We have serious hills here! BTW, converting the Coda frame to disc brakes. Forks were easy--just replaced them with Fairdale Chromo w/ disc tabs. Rear I welded on disc tabs.

Hybrid(?): I am also slowly building a Chromo framed* hard tail completely kitted for pavement/gravel/non tech dirt. The bikes called "hybrids" are a joke with crappy suspension forks and ridiculous "hybrid" 26" tires and crappy components (like v-brakes). Mine is what it should be (IMHO): Rigid reynolds forks, 1x10, 700c x 1.95 supple road tires**, disc brakes. This will be to ride on trails with my kids and other more casual riding that doesn't suit the FS.

*generic reynolds CC frame, so a little less slack than most hardtails and "hybrids" which is desirable to me because I won't be tearing down technical slopes with it.

**Vittoria Evolution has some tread like a road tire but super supple side walls. I'm going for a luxurious ride with some performance.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have a Giant XTC 29er, an Erregi road bike and a Goff Custom road bike. Not a dud among them! :D

Myles

Putting on skis
Skier
An old Cervelo Prodigy with what must be a million miles on it and an equally ancient Breezer Jet Stream with a million and a half (so, basically a bike museum on wheels). Both are my 'leisure' bikes (still try to do a few 100 - 130 km days on the weekends over the summer on the Cervelo). Do my commuting on a Trek Valencia, however, as I can't fit the co-pilot kid seat on either of the other bikes.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Giant Trance Sx size Large with lots of custom parts.

13174083_10154900996753357_7715732512916511148_n.jpg

Suspension-

Pike Dual Postion 140-160 Rc converter to RCT3 with 3 bottomless token.
Monarch Plus RC3 with 3 bottomless rings

Wheels -

Hope Pro 2 , Stans Flow Ex wheelset with DT swiss double butted spokes my build.

Tire - lots of different ones usually with F Maxxis Shorty 3c EXO, and R HR2 3c Exo because I generally ride this at the Loamier trails around here. set up tubeless, because tubes are for people who are unskilled and like flats.

Drivetrain/brakes -

Full SRAM X1 with SLX cranks because they are far lighter than the stock one
wolf tooth narrow oval ring 34 tooth.

Blackspire ISCG bashguard

Shimano XT pedal

SRAM Guide RS 180F/160R

Seatpost -

Rockshox Reverb stealth 125mm

Cockpit-

Kore 35mm Rivera Stem
780 Diety Dirty 30 bars
Ergon Ge-1 grips
WTB Rocket V Pro saddle.

Pros - with 160,140mm of travel this bike simply eat up chunky DH
rear suspension is crazy good at pedaling.
a long front center means you will never go over the handle bars
brakes are crazy good
SRAM X1 has been flawless
the 140 to 160 mm fork really change the bike from a plow machine to more carvy and nimble trail bike.

Cons - rear chainstays at 17.2 inches make the rear end hard to come around in really tight turns, and sometime hard to loft front end in drops
seat tube may be to tall for my short legs to run a 150mm dropper, I need to try a 150mm and see if it works, 125mm of drop is simply not enough for what this bike is capable off.
27.5 wheels lose momentum a ton more than 29er wheels. Does nt feel any quicker accelerating with the little wheels either.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Complete custom built Kona Honzo Single Speed - size M frame (same TT lenght as the Trance)

13082574_10154901026593357_4814007518776165319_n.jpg

Suspension -

Pike RCT3 140mm of travel 4 bottomless tokens

Wheels

Hope Pro 2 front hub/DT Swiss 240 rear hub DT swiss double butted spokes laced to Stan's Flow EX

Tires -

lots of tires for this as well, since I tend to take this more buff/drier days I usually run a Specialized Slaughter Grid Control Rear(fastest rolling rear tires that doesnt suck at turning), and Hr2 front for loam/loose or a DHR2 for hardpack. again mounted tubeless

Drivetrain/brakes

SLX cranks
Wolf Tooth Narrowwide Oval 34 tooth
Endless rear cogs 19,20, or 21 depending on terrain
BBG 36 tooth bashguard
SRAM PC-870 chain

Avid Elixer 7 brakes

Seatpost

Reverb 125mm non steath

Cockpit

Kore 35mm Stem
Ragley 760mm Wiser bar 10 mm of rise
Ergon Ge-1 Grips
Fizik Tundra saddle

Pros - 29 inch wheel roll over and smooth obstacles out
Geometry is damn near perfect, easy to carve, easy to wheelie, easy to manual, easy to jump, easy to drop, feels stable at speed. A long front center, and 16.3 chainstay are a magical combination.
Pike's are awesome
Basically ride downhill like a giant smooth BMX bike and uphill like reasonable well XC bike
simple

Cons - brakes are meh, its needs SRAM Guides
handling is weird on flat trail, you need to drop the post to get it to turn. with the post up its feel very front heavy.
if you are not on your game to pump and air small trail obstacles riding this bike will beat the hell out of you
If you unable to ride something its your fault not this bikes

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not one of you has a uni in the quiver? :eek:

Any of you going to be in Trexlertown tomorrow?

One summer we had a uni in for repair..so I adopted it as the owner didn't show up for months to pick it up. I'd try riding it around the shop..never could get it quite right. Props to uni riders everywhere!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not one of you has a uni in the quiver? :eek:

Oh yes. Mine was a birthday present when I was 13 (so it's almost 44 years old). Screw the Italian brands, I rock my Sears uni!

I ride it out to check/change the irrigation several times a year just to keep the balance skills sharpened up.

Suspension -

Pike's are awesome

That is for damn sure! So smooth and so quiet.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MTB: Breezer Supercell Pro FS XC 29er. Same, bought a 14 in 15 and got a helluva deal. $2,800 msrp, $1379. Whole lotta bike for the money.

This bike is an example of weight not being quite the be-all, end-all that some make it out to be.

NOT a very light frame design, but it pedals like a dream. Very efficient, yet very supple.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I know most of you are Mtb'ing but I hate putting my bike in truck to drive and then ride - so road for me mostly. Current whip:
image.jpeg

Mosaic RT-1
Campy SR gruppo
Campy Shamal Mille wheel - stickers now removed
SRM - 52/36

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My quiver (newest to oldest): Cycleops 400 Pro, Specialized Roubaix, Rocky Mountain Element, Cervelo P2K, and Miyata 710.

Kinda a bummer when your newest bike and the one that gets the most use doesn't go anywhere. :nono: Our kiddos are getting too big for the stroller and are not able to ride very far themselves. Looks like much of the in-between years @nay warned me about will be spent in my basement. Hopefully, this period will be short-lived as my 4-year-old son already went for a five-mile ride!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got a late 80s Mongoose Switchback.. from back when Mongoose made and sold bike people bikes. Haven't ridden it in a long time though, over a year.

I spend more time on self propelled 4 wheel transportation these days..

39Zeppelin.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My quiver (newest to oldest): Cycleops 400 Pro, Specialized Roubaix, Rocky Mountain Element, Cervelo P2K, and Miyata 710.

Kinda a bummer when your newest bike and the one that gets the most use doesn't go anywhere. :nono: Our kiddos are getting too big for the stroller and are not able to ride very far themselves. Looks like much of the in-between years @nay warned me about will be spent in my basement. Hopefully, this period will be short-lived as my 4-year-old son already went for a five-mile ride!
Recommendation for the trainer: buy a cheap extra rear wheel and cheap (hard) tire. Those things eat tires.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know most of you are Mtb'ing but I hate putting my bike in truck to drive and then ride - so road for me mostly. Current whip:
View attachment 8751

Mosaic RT-1
Campy SR gruppo
Campy Shamal Mille wheel - stickers now removed
SRM - 52/36
That is one beautiful bike. Its either not hilly where you live, or you have legs like this:
triplets%20main.jpg

That's a tiny cassette! I'm the guy on the ground, if I am riding your bike in Sonoma County!

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

^a kickr, zwift and that Roubaix would work. And at least take some of the monotony out of "riding in the basement"

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
That is one beautiful bike. Its either not hilly where you live, or you have legs like this:
triplets%20main.jpg

That's a tiny cassette! I'm the guy on the ground, if I am riding your bike in Sonoma County!

Thanks - way nicer than I deserve. Picture is at the top of Skyuka Mtn Road here in NC, 3.9 miles average 9% grade, so not terribly long - but really steep in sections - like "fall backward" steep. That cassette is a campy 12-29 - actually did Levi's GF on it out in your neck of the woods. I was a bit knackered on Coleman Valley coming back. Im envious of your locale, so nice.cant wait to see ToC roll that GF course - my mtns are at least an 1.5 away to ride - just rollers here and I run a 11-25 or 12-27 - depending on the wheel set.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Looks like much of the in-between years @nay warned me about will be spent in my basement. Hopefully, this period will be short-lived as my 4-year-old son already went for a five-mile ride!

It goes on forever. Once they become capable they become busy with their all-about-me-while-you-pay-for-it lives.

Of course, if taking them all day makes mom happy....you're good :D

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks - way nicer than I deserve. Picture is at the top of Skyuka Mtn Road here in NC, 3.9 miles average 9% grade, so not terribly long - but really steep in sections - like "fall backward" steep. That cassette is a campy 12-29 - actually did Levi's GF on it out in your neck of the woods. I was a bit knackered on Coleman Valley coming back. Im envious of your locale, so nice.cant wait to see ToC roll that GF course - my mtns are at least an 1.5 away to ride - just rollers here and I run a 11-25 or 12-27 - depending on the wheel set.
Ha! That cassette is bigger than it looks then. I run 11-32 w/ a compact crankset. I've never ridden the fondo (I see levi out and about all the time though). I have a friend who is a marshal (on bike, on course) in the fondo. In fact, he's built rather like that guy in the jpg*. In his 50s now but French, former pro racer who never quite qualified for the TdF in his youth, but raced Paris Roubaix. He'll be playing poker at my house tomorrow night into the wee hours of the morning then going out at 7am the next morning to do the full fondo course "for practice".

*Triplets of Belleville: hilarious not just for kids animated movie from about 10yrs ago.

Sponsor