• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the best sugar free hot cocoa?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I stopped eating refined sugar over a year and half ago. I drink a sugar-free hot cider for the most part when I want to have a hot beverage on a cold ski day.
Lately I've been getting a hankering for hot cocoa, but I don't want to start drinking regular cocoa and chance giving in to refined sugar.

I know we have some diabetics on the site and was hoping to get some input on finding a good sugar free hot cocoa.

For now, use milk and add some Hershey's zero sugar syrup at home but I'd like an alternative in a dry pack to take skiing.

https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.119020156.html
:coffee:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not hot cocoa, but ....

My sister was pushing Good Earth's Sweet and Spicy herbal tea during Xmas:

1704673063013.png

I often carry whole leaf oolong tea leaves. But, I have to admit, my usual go to is coffee with a little cocoa (or the opposite).

Yeah, I know, not the same mouth feel nor taste profiles.....

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is my favorite cocoa - no sugar, while I have been using it more in smoothies - I don't see why you couldn't heat up a plant based beverage of choice instead of milk that is low in sugar and add this-- (I like unsweetened Almond Milk). You would have no sugars and very little carbs..... I certainly understand this is not drink for traditional cocoa lovers, and you're not going to get that 'richness' but if you wanted pure ingredients, low sugar low carbs......

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered milk ( and your sweetener of choice if you want one)? Assuming you want to mix with hot water.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not hot cocoa, but ....

My sister was pushing Good Earth's Sweet and Spicy herbal tea during Xmas:

View attachment 220730

I often carry whole leaf oolong tea leaves. But, I have to admit, my usual go to is coffee with a little cocoa (or the opposite).

Yeah, I know, not the same mouth feel nor taste profiles.....

My favorite tea.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
depends on the sugar substitute you prefer.

I don't mind Stevia.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd DIY with powdered milk (or whatever mild substitute you prefer), cocoa powder, and a powdered sweetener of choice. It's easier to fine-tune the ratio of sweetness to savory chocolate flavor by doing this - and is a fun way to make your own personal blend!

I've found most sugar-free pre-mixed cocoas to be cloyingly sweet and with an overly strong artificial vanilla aftertaste. It's definitely not my jam. And I often do my own blend with raw cane sugar as most artificial sweeteners give me GI distress.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't really hot cocoa or hot cider anymore because, well, skinny diabetic who won the genetic lottery, but my general rule of thumb is to reach for a natural sweetener over an artificial one. The latter gives me headaches. I am with @Rudi Riet wrt the raw cane sugar sweetener, or maybe a coconut sugar. I would probably also try honey, but that probably changes the flavor profile of the cocoa.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ this but with maple syrup.

For going skiing I prepare a thermos of tea for the drive, and I'm kinda picky about my tea.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I worked for Nestle's in the 80's. American's like a chocolate hot chocolate. Canadian like a more cocoa flavour and less sweet. Someone actually tracks this. (Someone tell Timmies, theirs is too sweet!)

So, Canada has a Simply Hot Chocolate under the Carnation label of Nestle. 5 ingredients only. Cane Sugar, Modified milk products, Cocoa, salt and vanilla.

James

Out There
Instructor
Go Valrhona for cocoa. They don’t screw around. Don’t know if you want Dutch process or “natural”.

I think you want Dutch.

If one can handle sugar, then melting these Valrhona chocolates in milk would probably be pretty good. Vail would charge $17/cup

IMG_1583.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online