• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What useful drill vexes you the most?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes. That is 'the' reference for the division that uses these for their testing. They say a 3m corridor, which is just about a ski length and a half for me. I like to think of my feet pivoting/slipping on the fall line.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Step stems, Monique

Can you describe so that I know if we're on the same page? Because anything involving non-parallel skis has been a disaster for me in breakable crust.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
While completing a turn to the right, I'm flexing the left ankle, pressing into the cuff of the boot, and stepping my right ski into a stem. As I release the left ski, I transition pressure dominance to the right foot and finish with a christy.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
While completing a turn to the right, I'm flexing the left ankle, pressing into the cuff of the boot, and stepping my right ski into a stem. As I release the left ski, I transition pressure dominance to the right foot and finish with a christy.

When I try to step into a stem and glide in breakable crust, I end up with my tips crossed.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
stem hops cna be useful in crust but I vastly prefer parallel hops in difficult snow.

Backward pivot slips are only hard if you do not own upper and lower body separation and how your COM moves down the hill. IE when you are facing up the hill you are moving back.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Backward pivot slip looks like more of a brain teaser than a drill that proves you own a certain skill. What it probably does is shows that you studied for your exam.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
White Pass turns... there was a time I could sort of do them, but I lost my mojo. Need to practice them more.

I've gotten reasonably competent at pivot slips.
You nailed it for me. I can't do a White Pass Turn to save my soul. I guess that makes my skiing soulless.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've yet to attempt the backside pivot slips but must soon start to work on them if I'm going to attempt L3 next season. I do wonder what the point is of some of the RM L3 manuevers such as backside pivot slips and switch railroad tracks. We have a freestyle specialty -- what's the point of requiring L3 candidates to do these stupid ski tricks? I don't see its relevance to alpine skiing...
I think I have a video of @Bob Barnes and @Annie Black doing these at Keystone back in 2009. I'll see if I can dig it up.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
You nailed it for me. I can't do a White Pass Turn to save my soul. I guess that makes my skiing soulless.

I actually discovered an ability to do a White Pass turn out in Seventh Heaven in Whistler. I buried my outside ski tip (which is a good trick in and of itself on Wailer's) and was about to face plant, so... just kinda picked up the outside ski, started the turn on the inside, put the outside back down, kept going. :D

Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. I realize you gotta eat some to taste it, but I really wasn't hungry at the time. ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I actually discovered an ability to do a White Pass turn out in Seventh Heaven in Whistler. I buried my outside ski tip (which is a good trick in and of itself on Wailer's) and was about to face plant, so... just kinda picked up the outside ski, started the turn on the inside, put the outside back down, kept going. :D

Necessity is the mother of invention and all that. I realize you gotta eat some to taste it, but I really wasn't hungry at the time. ;)
:bestday:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
stem hops cna be useful in crust but I vastly prefer parallel hops in difficult snow.

Backward pivot slips are only hard if you do not own upper and lower body separation and how your COM moves down the hill. IE when you are facing up the hill you are moving back.

Like other drills, sometimes the right cue makes the 'difficult' easy. I think its entirely possible to have very good upper and lower body separation with DIRT being the thing that needs to be worked on to get switch pivot slips dialed. Next time I go out, I'll mess with them. I'm close to getting them sorted out (just need to nail the consistency)... or so says the keyboard warrior. ogsmile

Here's one that's worth a go if there's nothing better to do... pain in the 'S' dolphin turns. ogsmile

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

There's nothing I see in your skiing that tells me, "Nope... Not happening. Ever." ogsmile

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

I've seen you do White Pass turns very competently. You've simply misfiled the information.
Your body knows how to do these. You'll eventually find that file and do them again as if you never forgot.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
When I try to step into a stem and glide in breakable crust, I end up with my tips crossed.

You need to release the new inside ski WHILE transferring pressure to the stemmed ski.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You need to release the new inside ski WHILE transferring pressure to the stemmed ski.

I'll have to grab you on mountain some time to understand this.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Let me know when you're here

I just did a private with Pete and now have to somehow internalize the 432 things that resulted in me skiing (more) properly by the end of the day. But of which I will probably remember like 2.

I may or may not be out tomorrow ...?

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
If you're here tomorrow, spend the time rehashing what was effective for you today, Monique.

Sponsor

Staff online