• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What useful drill vexes you the most?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This thread made me wonder - https://forum.pugski.com/threads/the-outside-ski-to-outside-ski-drill.4204/

For you personally, what's the most difficult drill that you still think has value? And by drill, I mean something that you wouldn't do as part of normal skiing, but is used to teach you something or develop a skill.

For me, it's got to be anything on one leg. Mostly, I give up. When I do try to stick with it and turn, I immediately start steering from the backseat with my butt as a rudder. I know that this drill exposes important information, but so far I haven't been able to fix it. But I keep trying!

What about you?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
White Pass turns... there was a time I could sort of do them, but I lost my mojo. Need to practice them more.

I've gotten reasonably competent at pivot slips.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
This thread made me wonder - https://forum.pugski.com/threads/the-outside-ski-to-outside-ski-drill.4204/

For you personally, what's the most difficult drill that you still think has value? And by drill, I mean something that you wouldn't do as part of normal skiing, but is used to teach you something or develop a skill.

For me, it's got to be anything on one leg. Mostly, I give up. When I do try to stick with it and turn, I immediately start steering from the backseat with my butt as a rudder. I know that this drill exposes important information, but so far I haven't been able to fix it. But I keep trying!

What about you?

have you tried keeping your tip down when going outside ski to outside ski :roflmao:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I also do not find outside to outside ski drill with the entire ski lifted of any use at all.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
For me it's most of the hoppy ones. Especially dolphins. The funny thing is I do them in the bumps. I think it's partly that I feel my knees are going to blow when I try them.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
It use to be Sequential hop turns......but I can do those really well now.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I also do not find outside to outside ski drill with the entire ski lifted of any use at all.
Josh, that drill is about turning the ski with pressure and edging and no rotary. A potentially useful piece to have in your toolkit. Not that I have ownership of it yet.

Evidentially I have issues with a bunch of drills, including switch railroad tracks, crab walks, and Speiss turns.

Mike

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I just last weekend could *feel* what was meant by femur rotation (as opposed to understanding it conceptually, but not realizing that I wasn't doing it, or was only doing it as part of certain specific exercises). Wait - that's what it's supposed to feel like all the time?

I'm wondering if this will get me on my way to fixing the butt rudder issue with one legged skiing!

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The hoppy ones, all of them, are impossible for me, even static in boots only. I can't figure out how to leap/hop in my boots. I used to be able to do leapers easily; my skis provided rebound even. Not any more. Is it ... (gulp) ... age? The boots? The skis? It could be me, all of me, soul and all. Whatever; the hops just don't go up.

And then there's one ski skiing on the right foot. It's a work in progress; working on one-foot sideslips on the right foot's LTE, one-foot sideslip garlands on the right foot's LTE, falling leaf on the right foot's LTE, white pass turns onto the right foot's LTE, and one ski skiing both carved and skidded, right foot. There are new orthotics in the boots; I've had some good progress so far on these right foot maneuvers since the orthotics went in. Left foot is and has been OK, but not great. Lots of work to go.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Anything switch. I'm too old and inflexible (physically) to twist the torso and neck enough to have a safe amount of view behind me.

Monique, your boot cuff is your friend for one-legged skiing. Start with tracer turns.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Anything switch. I'm too old and inflexible (physically) to twist the torso and neck enough to have a safe amount of view behind me.

Monique, your boot cuff is your friend for one-legged skiing. Start with tracer turns.

I just looked these up and, lo and behold, found an old Epic thread in which you discussed them. It seems really hard to intentionally put that little weight on the inside (inside, right? Please say inside) ski. But I can try it!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Josh, that drill is about turning the ski with pressure and edging and no rotary. A potentially useful piece to have in your toolkit. Not that I have ownership of it yet.

Evidentially I have issues with a bunch of drills, including switch railroad tracks, crab walks, and Speiss turns.

Mike

So show me one video of someone doing it steered with out a pole touching the ground or an inside tip. The first person who post the video I paypal them 100 dollars to the person who is able to do the task, which I know is actually impossible at this point in time.

Steered(not carved) no pole touch, no pole drag, and no inside ski drag. Go find someone who can do it.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Hey, boys, you have your own thread to argue about that!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I really struggle to even try Javelin turns. I know why. And I need to be able to do them. Stork type is easier. Whitepass? Unthinkable at this stage :D

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I just looked these up and, lo and behold, found an old Epic thread in which you discussed them. It seems really hard to intentionally put that little weight on the inside (inside, right? Please say inside) ski. But I can try it!

The barely weighted ski "tracing on the snow" is the inside ski when turning toward that direction and the outside ski when turning the other way. It's one-ski skiing with the other ski barely touching the snow. You go both left and right on, say, the left ski with the right "tracing" the path.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The barely weighted ski "tracing on the snow" is the inside ski when turning toward that direction and the outside ski when turning the other way. It's one-ski skiing with the other ski barely touching the snow. You go both left and right on, say, the left ski with the right "tracing" the path.

Makes sense. Training wheels.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
So show me one video of someone doing it steered with out a pole touching the ground or an inside tip. The first person who post the video I paypal them 100 dollars to the person who is able to do the task, which I know is actually impossible at this point in time.

Steered(not carved) no pole touch, no pole drag, and no inside ski drag. Go find someone who can do it.

I'm no where near the skier Josh is. No. where. near.

I can do outside-to-outside turns, arc-to-arc carved, whole ski lifted, poles fully in the air, in gentle terrain at gentle speeds, getting the turns started by tipping my skis with ankle tipping alone.

But I cannot do them skidded/steered. I'm thinking that if these are at all possible, that requires moving fore-aft in such a way (unknown to me - I'm just thinking) that the tip engages and starts the turn, after which the tail skids out. I've seen very low-pitch low speed steered (or at least skidded) turns done on one ski, without poles involved. An examiner had a small group of instructors, me included, trying these. She could do them, but I could not.

That said, I vaguely remember something in Ron LeMaster's book saying skidded/steered one ski turns can't be done. I'd have to go back and find that quote to see if he meant it as absolutely as I remember it, though.