• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What tools and spare parts have you actually used on a ride?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you used all of these?

Yes. Park Tire Boot: I used one of these the first time I carried one, eons ago. Not since. BUT, at the 80 mile mark of the Butte 100 a few years ago, I passed a guy and gave the regular "need anything" greeting. He said "not unless you've got a tire boot". He still owes me a beer!

My favorite cookie is the big chocolate chip monster made by Sweet Dreams (north end of Moab), best enjoyed after a long climb, looking out over the Gold Bar Rim.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
IMG_1328.JPG
This is what's in my pack. At some point I've used all of it.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Road riding (nearly all of what I do that's bicycle-related):
  • Tube(s)
  • Tire levers
  • Pump
  • Patch kit
  • Tire boot (also a Park, used it on an LLS training ride when something sliced the sidewall)
  • Spare tire (folding, of course)
  • Chain tool (somebody else's, I now carry one)
  • A couple of small pieces of duct tape
I tended to carry more of everything on century rides, greater likelihood of having something bad happen, plus farther to go to the end of the ride.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used most things. Never got the dollar bill and straw to pack out a torn sidewall trick down. Just bulges too much.
I've done this twice, but just with dollar bill, no straw. Worked really well, both times.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spare tubes, CO2, multi tool, patch kit, tire levers, dollar bill.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The right spare tube. I set up my repair kit for my mountain bike with all the stuff. Out on one of my first rides on a rail trail I had a flat. "Yeh, I'm ready for this." Took off the wheel, used my tire levers, took off the tire, removed the inner tube, pulled out the spare (in the box), and .......... You guessed it, tube for a road tire. :( :doh: (You learn through pain. That was a learning experience.)

Lucky for me a nice guy with a proper tube happened by. He traded my inner tube with the hole for a patched one that held air. I've since paid it forward a couple of times.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Here's an odd ball and the perfect bike/ski mix...

I used a Voile strap on a recent tour of the Loire valley. A long mounting bolt and space from my rack worked loose and I didn't have a spare. But I did have a coozie to squash together into a spacer, and a Voile strap to hold the rack to the bike.

How it should've looked when working..
wwMWAUV.jpg

How it looked with the fix...
QWBrstd.jpg

And gratuitous tour shot...
Kmv2ZqI.jpg

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
- Park Patch kit
- Park Levers
- Micro Pump
- Spare tube
- Crank Bros Multi 19
- Pocket knife - Opinel No. 8 as pictured above
- Voile strap (as mentioned above) holding tool roll under my seat and when SHTF
- Rubber band squeezing tool roll tighter.
The last two helps a lot when self splinting a broken thumb with spare tube (pocket knife) when you lowside in the drops around a corner and still need to ride 10 miles because your phone screen is smashed. Side note, the ER Doc told me you can normally still use voice commands to make a phone call.

Attachments

• 20170503_203324.jpg
    20170503_203324.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
- Voile strap holding tool roll under my seat and when SHTF
- Rubber band squeezing tool roll tighter.
The last two helps a lot when self splinting a broken thumb with spare tube (pocket knife) when you lowside in the drops around a corner and still need to ride 10 miles because your phone screen is smashed. Side note, the ER Doc told me you can normally still use voice commands to make a phone call.

Good job!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Went for a group ride last night (I HATE group rides...) and the group had one mechanical and one flat. Of the 14 or so riders, no one was carrying a multi tool (loose stem bolts on one bike, hey what's the worst that could happen?) or a pump/ CO2. Also, of the 14 riders, 5 or 6 are current or former bike mechanics. My excuse was I was running a water bottle for the short ride because I left my Camelbak on the counter as I rushed out of the house while trying to keep the dog in the house. In the Camelbak is a multi tool, CO2 and sealant.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Went for a group ride last night (I HATE group rides...) and the group had one mechanical and one flat. Of the 14 or so riders, no one was carrying a multi tool (loose stem bolts on one bike, hey what's the worst that could happen?) or a pump/ CO2. Also, of the 14 riders, 5 or 6 are current or former bike mechanics. My excuse was I was running a water bottle for the short ride because I left my Camelbak on the counter as I rushed out of the house while trying to keep the dog in the house. In the Camelbak is a multi tool, CO2 and sealant.

See, this is what I fear!

If you hate group rides, why were you on one?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
I needed to meet Epic, who is loaning me a rear brake while I wait for a new hydraulic line. The funny thing about the group ride? It was the Wed kids group ride... I dislike kids even more than groups. (not your kids Epic, they're cool).

One teenaged kid with a hydration pack (the only person riding with a pack), when asked if he had a multi tool: "I don't know, my mom packed it for me." that lead to some razzing... and mom jokes. 7 teenaged boys and 7 Peter Pans... seriously, what's the worst that could happen?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
When we left Sushi Yoshi at 8:30 Paul (the flat tire) still hadn't rolled in. Hopefully he isn't still out there.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Tattoo Jay went to get him, Jay left Jackson (his dog) with him at the bottom of Tony's to avoid the road ride section. Paul drove the shop Sprinter out to SV with the kids, so I'm sure he just went home from there.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid