• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What tools and spare parts have you actually used on a ride?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
large band-aids, butterflies, gauze pads, 2-inch rollers for wounds and arm slings:eek:

As of yesterday, I can add large bandaids and pantyliners to the medical supplies I've had to use on the trail. I now understand why so many people say pads etc are good emergency medical supplies.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I never even considered that anyone would bother to carry a chain tool until the time I was 10 miles from my house and my chain broke. The very first person who rode by me asked if he could help. "Not unless you've got a chain tool handy," I muttered, probably too sarcastically. Sure enough, he did. Thank you, other people, for thinking ahead since I am chronically unable to.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
There was a time when chain breakages were very common..mostly through incorrect installation. Shimano figured it out more or less and I don't see it as often provided you use the special join link provided. But yeah, it's a walk-out problem and was fairly common so many people I suspect are gun-shy about it now. I am! :D (more for other people, not me..)

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And chain tools are small ....

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There was a time when chain breakages were very common..mostly through incorrect installation. Shimano figured it out more or less and I don't see it as often provided you use the special join link provided. But yeah, it's a walk-out problem and was fairly common so many people I suspect are gun-shy about it now. I am! :D (more for other people, not me..)

I remember installing a new chain used to be a PITA with getting the new pin installed "correctly". The one time I broke a chain (thankfully I was really close to the car) was because the pin wasn't installed correctly.

I use SRAM chains now and their power-link connectors; they're pretty much fool-proof to use -- just snap it together.

What changes did Shimano make to make chain installation easier?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use SRAM chains now and their power-link connectors; they're pretty much fool-proof to use -- just snap it together.

I haven't had to do this in a long time (knock on wood!), but don't you need the chain tool to remove the existing pin so you can install the power-link?

scott43

Skier
I remember installing a new chain used to be a PITA with getting the new pin installed "correctly". The one time I broke a chain (thankfully I was really close to the car) was because the pin wasn't installed correctly.

What changes did Shimano make to make chain installation easier?
Yeah that's about it. Once people realized that if you tried to use a "normal" link it was bound to fail, and that you had to use the special pin, they were a lot more reliable. Still not easy to assemble but possible. SRAM chains are much easier for sure. And you can carry a spare link if you're really paranoid and just take out the damaged section and reassemble..get you home at least and very quick repair. Shimano, unless you have a spare pin with you, you're kinda in trouble..

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Years ago on the Cathedral Rock loop in Sedona, my derailleur failed when one of the pivot pins worked its way out. Luckily I was able to use a giant safety pin from my first aid kit to keep the cage in place. (This may have been a major factor in becoming a single speeder).

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I haven't had to do this in a long time (knock on wood!), but don't you need the chain tool to remove the existing pin so you can install the power-link?

I use a chain tool at home to shorten the chain to the length I need and then put the powerlink connector in.

It's theoretically possible to undo a powerlink connector "on trail" by hand, but getting a good grip on a greasy dirty chain... Yeah, good luck with that!

When my chain is shot I just grab the chain tool and pop out any old pin and toss it.

If you were to physically break a chain on the trail, then yeah, you'd need a chain tool to get two "inner" links so you could power-link them back together.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use a chain tool at home to shorten the chain to the length I need and then put the powerlink connector in.

It's theoretically possible to undo a powerlink connector "on trail" by hand, but getting a good grip on a greasy dirty chain... Yeah, good luck with that!

When my chain is shot I just grab the chain tool and pop out any old pin and toss it.

If you were to physically break a chain on the trail, then yeah, you'd need a chain tool to get two "inner" links so you could power-link them back together.

Right. I've had to do that.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Multi allen key tool
CO2
Tube
Chain Tool
Pump

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
SPOKE WRENCH!

Ooops, sorry, that's often included in many multitools. I'm just surprised how many don't know it's there, never mind when or how to use it.

Other than that, it's the usual. I'm pretty minimalist. Spare tube, patch kit, pump.

My multi-tool has a few allen keys, philips/flat head screwdriver, spoke wrench and chain tool.

In my 20 years of road and off-road riding, I haven't needed a lift due to mechanical, except for the one time I broke a Shimano chain without the special pin.

In the other, as near as I can tell, the chain snapped, derailleur bent, derailleur hanger bent, and multiple spokes broke. Everything wrapped around so badly I couldn't even roll the rear wheel, so I had to walk
I had one of that happened to me. :)

I was so far off the beaten path I had to somehow fix it. Or it would have been a very long walk (or very long wait for someone to come get me)

Took the derailleur off the bend hanger. Now that's out of the way, shorten the chain to some middling gear and made a single speed.

Wrangle the broken spoke out of the way. tighten up the neighboring spokes so the wheels were "kind of sort of" true (far from it). Disconnect the rear brake so the wheel will spin. No biggie, I still have 1 brake: the front brake!

Some uphill I had to walk. Some downhill I had to keep my fingers on the front brake so my speed doesn't get too out of hand.

Since I was already on the "homeward" leg, I basically finish the loop I started. Surprisingly enough, I made it to the car only 1/2 hr later than I planned. So my "major surgery" to my bike's drive train must have taken less than that.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
You guys know you can use a SRAM (or Tayan or Rohloff or whatever) quicklink in a Shimano chain, right? I use Shimano chains but I keep a quicklink around for on-trail repairs.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
You guys know you can use a SRAM (or Tayan or Rohloff or whatever) quicklink in a Shimano chain, right? I use Shimano chains but I keep a quicklink around for on-trail repairs.
I didn't until the one that came with the bike broke! (I should have known, of course)

But since I replaced it with a SRAM chain, it's no longer relevant to me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Short, local-ish rides: Multi tool, tube, CO2, quick link, Park Tire Boot, a few zip ties.

Longer rides: Same, plus another tube and a pump, and most importantly, when not training, A BIG CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE.

scott43

Skier
Yeah I wasn't 100% sure if they were compatible..out of the business for a while now.. :(

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Short, local-ish rides: Multi tool, tube, CO2, quick link, Park Tire Boot, a few zip ties.

Longer rides: Same, plus another tube and a pump, and most importantly, when not training, A BIG CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE.

Have you used all of these?

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm sure he's used the cookie.. :huh:

It's always amazing to me what goodies I find in my pack in the spring ...

Cookie is a great idea. Hm, another possible thread ...

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
One latex rubber glove - don't like getting grease on my hands
Reading glasses make repairs much more easy when I can see what I'm doing
One 10 dollar bill, just in case.....I need a beer stop

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January