• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What did you do this season that sets it apart?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- Went on my first Heli trip. Everyone there swore I'd be addicted by the end of the week, but I think once is enough to get that crossed off my bucket list.
- Also fell in love with a pair of Stockli AXs.
- Finally have my weight as far forward, particularly in the bumps, as it always should have been. The AXs are to be directly credited for that.
- Though I know that one day in the not too distant future I will no longer be able to say this: I ski better than I did last year.
- Skied the most I ever have in one season- 45 days. Plus two more in May if all goes according to plan. One more on July 4th is a faint possibility...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wow. I personally did a LOT of driving to go Skiing and got lucky. Took ski gear seriously and dialed it nicely although its a work in progress. So is my skiing!

#1: Skied several powder days in New Mexico. At Ski Apache and the season closer at Ski Santa Fe thx to @pais alto All were just superb. Skiing in NM is just different. Loved it.

#2: Skied Steamboat during the first week of January. More than 30 in of snow fell while I was there. It was just amazing. Will never forget my first run of the day down the Sundown Liftline. Wow. Felt so smooth like backcountry powder. It is quite a rare feeling at a resort.

#3: Spring skiing in Vail...in Febuary..after a few days I skied the Talons Challege at Beaver Creek on the first cold day of the week. It was tough.

#4: Got my first ski quiver. 2 pairs but I doubt it will stay like that for long. Was worried that the 190cm Moments were going to be too long. I was wrong, they worked amazing. Even in tight trees. Crazy. The do help me ski better since if you get in the backseat at all they let you know QUICK and off you go unless you instantly correct.

#5: For the first time got boots that go with my skiing and went to a bootfitter. Wow. Can't believe I waited so long.

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Got my boot alignment and liner fit about as dialed as I probably can and resolved most of my (significant) turn asymmetry.

Skied way more steeps, tons of fantastic snow. First season with more turns off piste than on piste.

Still suck, which means it was a ton of fun. Hopefully a good eight weeks to go.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've had several seasons concluded via injury (one on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, third day of that year), so celebrated losing only a few days to injury this season.
I've not yet lost a day to injury (touching wood), but it sure has cramped my style on a few days, just minor injuries though (broken radius, separated shoulder, dislocations, broken ribs, maybe broken heels, broken thumb - nothing that would keep me off the slopes). It's mind over matter; if you don't mind it doesn't matter.l

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Went to the gathering for three days and finally met a bunch of puggers at 1:1! Skied W/BC on alpine gear for the first time! Attended a bunch of regional TD clinics... they were great!

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Guided and taught lots, and it was one of the worst seasons for snow I've seen in Japan but the highlights were probably skiing powder into the crater of Mt Yotei under a full moon, and climbing Mt Rishiri, an island off the NW of Hokkaido.
17499024_10155085504227383_4714243997539884210_n.jpg

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I made an attempt at trying to have a somewhat normal life. It was going fine and then it snowed and I was like "oh yeah, dude wtf were you thinking". Anyhow it was a fun winter back east, lots of good times and decent powder days but I'm driving back in a few weeks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Watched my daughter ski her first easy black.. totally under control.

Gave telemarking a try again after 35 years. Seemed harder with old legs on modern gear than it was with young legs on ancient gear.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
-
- Though I know that one day in the not too distant future I will no longer be able to say this: I ski better than I did last year.

I can say I skied better yesterday than last month and better than in any of my 72 years of skiing. I remember thinking when I was approaching 50 that I was all done improving both skiing skills and stamina, but that was incorrect.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Things that set this season apart? I don't want to think about that. It's probably enough to say that memorial services were involved.

There were good parts, but those're what stick in my mind. Sorry for the bummer post.
Sadly, we've had seasons like that.
Peace to you, my friend.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Attended 2 CSIA clinics this year. The fall members convention and the Ladies Edge Camp. Signing up for that one again.
Skied WB for the 6th time in my life. Felt different with no hubby along. Not sure I want to do that again. I know the Pugsters were there, but it was not the same.
I've had enough of skiing by braille. It happens at the first of the year with the snowmaking, then at WB with the snow.
I need to do more work on terrain adaptation. So looking at CSIA clinics for that next year.
Demo'd and ordered the Vantage 95W to replace the Temptation 88's.
Skied a total of 52 days this year. Best yet!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I made an attempt at trying to have a somewhat normal life. It was going fine and then it snowed and I was like "oh yeah, dude wtf were you thinking". Anyhow it was a fun winter back east, lots of good times and decent powder days but I'm driving back in a few weeks.
You know, if you move here and we have a drought year, we're going to punish you and buy you a plane ticket on United.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The good:
-- magical early season run off Northwoods at Vail
-- Unexpectedly deep day at Breck with @Doug Briggs
-- Alta trip with the Colorado Crew where it seemed like we had the place to ourselves
-- Got pitted in Highlands Bowl
-- Telluride

The bad:
-- @SkiNurse crashed, broke her liver and missed a lot of the season
-- A killer corn that made me consider selling my gear and take up knitting

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skied out-of -bounds at JH along with some back country at Teton Pass with some old ski buddies I had not skied with in a good 10 years. A couple feet of cold smoke powder really help make this a memorable trip!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
-Skied 3 new mountains. Aspen Highlands (wow), Sunlight (wow), Howelson(funky, cheap, convenient).
-Bought and used my first touring setup.
-Tried nordic skiing for the first time since childhood and quite enjoyed it. I see this as something I might be able to do a bit more of while I'm in law school and not able to devote as much time to skiing.
-Skied with my dear friend and running coach after trying to get her on the mountain with me since 2009.