• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

VW Scandal...It continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Double dipping, strange that a company would take offense. Lucky that he didn't get charged with fraud.
This is scary if the Judge changes the parameters. I am not sure he can. There could be a class action suit here. I am not comfortable having Volkswagen decide what normal wear & tear is, a check engine light is on? A ding or scrape in the bumper? What qualifies as "stripping", not haviing the orignal floormats? Aftermarket wheels or radio? This puts the consumer in a precarious situation having to fight for what is rightfully theirs. VW has a staff of lawyers and that means the consumer would have to retain one and it would be a tough fight. My car has not gone back yet and I have purchesed another...VW which does not put me in a good position.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I bought an off lease VW last year it had an aftermarket upgraded radio, a stock radio was supplied loose as in order to be sold the original equipment had to be supplied from the dealer.

I suspect any upgrades are not an issue but down grades are. Parting out a car and returning the husk for a refund I don't think is the intention of the buy back. You can only make your money once not twice.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Deliberate breach is a pretty common term in contracts, I see it regularly. However, the burden of proof would be on VW and the legal fees could get crazy. I expect that unless it was an obvious situation like that in the article they aren't going to invoke such a thing. The cost benefit to arguing over a missing radio or floor mats just isn't there.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like there is a fix for Gen 3 cars...

We revived an Update on Volkswagen (Gen 3 -all 2015 year model TDI) 2.0 TDI emission Friday 1/6/2017

We have been notified by Volkswagen that EPA/CARB have approved an emission modification for generation 3 TDI (all 2015 year model TDI) . This is welcome long over due news , while the details are becoming clearer each day , What we understand is that the repair is a two part repair ,

Emissions Modification Phase 1: During the first part of the modification Volkswagen will remove the software that reduced the effectiveness of your TDI’s emission control system and replace it with software that directs your vehicle’s emission controls to function effectively in all normal driving conditions. The emissions modification will change the way your car’s engine and emission control systems interact. This will affect technical functions under some operating conditions, for example when the vehicle is started for the day. No significant changes to key vehicle attributes are expected, including fuel consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or other driving characteristics.

This update will take approximately an hour to complete.

Emissions Modification Phase 2 : (available beginning in early 2018 )
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. As part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound, performance, or drivability. You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement. These updates will be made available at no cost to you starting in early 2018. A complimentary loaner vehicle will be available for the duration of this modification, which is expected to take approximately 9 hours

It is important to note that this only applies to Gen 3 (2015 Volkswagen 2.0 TDI)

James

Out There
Instructor
No, that's what's mandated by the govt for emissions. Manufacturer has to replace emissions systems that fail within that period. New cars used to be 55,000 miles. For this situation that would exempt most of the vehicles. So I guess they settled on 150,000.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
No, that's what's mandated by the govt for emissions. Manufacturer has to replace emissions systems that fail within that period. New cars used to be 55,000 miles. For this situation that would exempt most of the vehicles. So I guess they settled on 150,000.

The manufacturer pays for any part of the emissions system that fails before 150,000? Is that true in general for all cars? My daughter replaced o2 sensors and catalytic converters and finally a whole engine on her Subaru. Would this apply to cars built in 2002 (I think that's her car). Or are you saying generally it's 55,000, but in this specific case they increased it to 150,000?

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
The manufacturer pays for any part of the emissions system that fails before 150,000? Is that true in general for all cars? My daughter replaced o2 sensors and catalytic converters and finally a whole engine on her Subaru. Would this apply to cars built in 2002 (I think that's her car). Or are you saying generally it's 55,000, but in this specific case they increased it to 150,000?

Applies just to VW I think.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
According to the EPA website, all manufacturers have to warranty performance of the complete emissions systems for 2 yrs/24K miles, then only major components for 8 yrs/80K miles. I am sure the 150K mile warranty VW is giving on the revised systems is part of the approval by the EPA.
On that 2002 Subaru, you would have to check to see what regulations were in place at that time. But I would bet it is less time/miles than current regs.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All my paperwork was booted out so I have to do it all over again. Grrr.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
AOL is reporting that VW is the most hated company in the USA.

It seems crazy to me, they did conspire to cheat, but they are paying bigger penalties and getting much more press than Takata or GM who were actually killing people. I guess if you are incompetent and then try to cover it up, its not as bad as being clever and deceitful ...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The must not have included cable companies and insurance companies in the survey.ogwink

I would put Health Insurance Companies at the top of the list and tied for second all other insurance companies. What a pain full of bureaucratic bullcrud to deal with them.

VW is a tame little kitten next to that industry.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
AOL is reporting that VW is the most hated company in the USA.

And yet, their sales figures went UP this year. Someone -- MANY someones -- must like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online