• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volvo XC60?

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Anyone here own an XC60 from the past few years? My wife went and test drove one the other day and is leaning in that direction. It would be a CPO with as few miles as we can find. The local dealer has 2 other locations and will CPO any used one they have in inventory.

She had actually left the house to check out a Q5, but the Audi dealer couldn't find a salesperson to help her. Two salesmen were on the phone and one was sleeping at his desk with his chin on his chest. The receptionist apologized as my wife walked out the door to the Volvo dealer next door. I told her, "you snooze, you lose."

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend of ours has had one for about a year now. He is quite happy with it . Whats a CPO?

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
My mom drives a CPO '12 xc60 which I've driven a fair bit. No complaints except I wish it had a back up camera, and weird Volvo visibility issues. We have a CPO '05 xc90, love it, great in the snow, no issues in ten yrs knock on wood. Feel free to PM me w any specific ?s...

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

Skier
A friend of ours has had one for about a year now. He is quite happy with it . Whats a CPO?

Certified Pre-Owned. Ups the warranty to 7 years or 100k.

BTW, anyone know which engine is better? MPG is a non-issue as anything will be better than her current Landrover.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm coming up on four years of owning a 2013 XC60 R-Design. I'd buy it again. Here is more info than you probably want:

1. Astounding engine. Volvo builds a sweet inline six turbo. There is never a time when I feel like I'm lacking power, and low/mid rpm torque is a beautiful feeling.

2. The R-Design suspension borders on being too firm, and I like a firm ride.

3. Handling improved noticeably when I installed an IPD rear anti-sway bar, then later replaced the (crap) OEM tires with some UHP Michelin all season radial.

4. The body structure is very good, but not quite as vault-like as a BMW X3.

5. The rear seat folds dead flat, which is a big deal for dog nuts like us. Honestly, if the X3 had this feature, it would probably be in my garage.

6. Nobody notices Volvos. I like the lack of "badge envy", especially living in a small town.

7. Decent transmission, but not great in D. Functions better in Sport Mode, and even better in manu-matic mode. But I'm prejudiced, since this is my first "fun" car ever without a manual transmission.

8. Steering is good, but just a wee bit imprecise.

9. I've only put ~35k miles on this in nearly four years, so not a lot of use, but I haven't had one single problem, other than a slight wind whistle, to which the service advisor said "oh yeah, we know what this is".

Hope that helps!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I pinged my old dealership..Keystone Volvo in Berwyn Pa...Good folks. If you contact them, ask for Benjamin Stein, Sales Manager. You will not find a better dealership to work with.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

Skier
I pinged my old dealership..Keystone Volvo in Berwyn Pa...Good folks. If you contact them, ask for Benjamin Stein, Sales Manager. You will not find a better dealership to work with.

Thanks. I'll run that by her, but knowing my wife convenience is a big issue, and we have a dealer about 2 miles away and she said the sales guy was really low pressure which she liked.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

Skier
I'm coming up on four years of owning a 2013 XC60 R-Design. I'd buy it again. Here is more info than you probably want:

1. Astounding engine. Volvo builds a sweet inline six turbo. There is never a time when I feel like I'm lacking power, and low/mid rpm torque is a beautiful feeling.

2. The R-Design suspension borders on being too firm, and I like a firm ride.

3. Handling improved noticeably when I installed an IPD rear anti-sway bar, then later replaced the (crap) OEM tires with some UHP Michelin all season radial.

4. The body structure is very good, but not quite as vault-like as a BMW X3.

5. The rear seat folds dead flat, which is a big deal for dog nuts like us. Honestly, if the X3 had this feature, it would probably be in my garage.

6. Nobody notices Volvos. I like the lack of "badge envy", especially living in a small town.

7. Decent transmission, but not great in D. Functions better in Sport Mode, and even better in manu-matic mode. But I'm prejudiced, since this is my first "fun" car ever without a manual transmission.

8. Steering is good, but just a wee bit imprecise.

9. I've only put ~35k miles on this in nearly four years, so not a lot of use, but I haven't had one single problem, other than a slight wind whistle, to which the service advisor said "oh yeah, we know what this is".

Hope that helps!

Good info. I'd like the R design, but my wife is more concerned with comfort. Shes a consultant and her current client is 50 miles of bumper to bumper traffic away. No fun involved at all.

She is leery of BMW's only because her sister had one that was a total lemon,

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
The new XC60 and XC90 no longer use the 6 cylinder engine. They are all now turbo 3 liter 4 cylinder engines even though they still use the T6 designation.
Even the new XC60 Polestar T8 is a 4 cylinder turbo. I love the design of the XC60 but just can't bring myself to buy a 4 cylinder turbo in that big of a car.

Todays Jalopnik has a post on the XC60 Polestar T8 with the heading "... Almost as much power as a Corvette".
With 421 horsepower it’s just 34 horsepower less than a base model C7-era Corvette. The Porsche Macan GTS is only 360 hp.
http://jalopnik.com/the-volvo-xc60-polestar-has-almost-as-much-power-as-a-c-1796807470

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The new XC60 and XC90 no longer use the 6 cylinder engine. They are all now turbo 3 liter 4 cylinder engines even though they still use the T6 designation.
Even the new XC60 Polestar T8 is a 4 cylinder turbo. I love the design of the XC60 but just can't bring myself to buy a 4 cylinder turbo in that big of a car.

Todays Jalopnik has a post on the XC60 Polestar T8 with the heading "... Almost as much power as a Corvette".
With 421 horsepower it’s just 34 horsepower less than a base model C7-era Corvette. The Porsche Macan GTS is only 360 hp.
http://jalopnik.com/the-volvo-xc60-polestar-has-almost-as-much-power-as-a-c-1796807470
I doubt they're 3 litre 4 cylinders..the pistons are generally getting too big at that displacement for a 4 cylinder..usually they get to 2.5L or so and have to upsize to 6 cylinders.

TS
Jersey Skier

Jersey Skier

Skier

I sent the link about the Polestar to my wife, and that excites her. (100% sure, not enough to ever buy one.) She loves the sound of my neighbor's Mazerati and another's S63 AMG. Though she thinks the sound of my Suburban with a Corsa Sport exhaust is just stupid. Now back to reality, I think she is close to pulling the trigger.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sorry, 2 liter! That seems to be the new default engine for Volvo. 4 cylinder, 2 liter is the standard in the XC90. That's just too big a vehicle for a 2 liter turbo. As long as you get rid of it before the warranty runs out it should be no problem.
The only engine available in the new Mazda CX9 is a 4 cylinder. So, several manufacturers are going that route so an extended warranty is getting to be a necessity.
However, engines are not the only reason to get the extended warranty. We have a '14 Pathfinder. The touch screen went out, they call it the radio head unit. Cost to replace would have been $3,000 it it wasn't covered under warranty. I don't want to think about replacing a battery pack on a hybrid.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sorry, 2 liter! That seems to be the new default engine for Volvo. 4 cylinder, 2 liter is the standard in the XC90. That's just too big a vehicle for a 2 liter turbo. As long as you get rid of it before the warranty runs out it should be no problem.
The only engine available in the new Mazda CX9 is a 4 cylinder. So, several manufacturers are going that route so an extended warranty is getting to be a necessity.
However, engines are not the only reason to get the extended warranty. We have a '14 Pathfinder. The touch screen went out, they call it the radio head unit. Cost to replace would have been $3,000 it it wasn't covered under warranty. I don't want to think about replacing a battery pack on a hybrid.
Yeah and that's probably true. You can get some jam out of a 2.0 but..for a 4wd full size vehicle? Hmm..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new T6 is a two liter, four cylinder that is turbocharged AND supercharged (to help lower rpm torque).

The T5 version does without the supercharger.

Plenty of power, but a weird, unrefined engine experience. I'll run my inline six with Polestar tune into the ground, then move on to another brand.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new T6 is a two liter, four cylinder that is turbocharged AND supercharged (to help lower rpm torque).

The T5 version does without the supercharger.

Plenty of power, but a weird, unrefined engine experience. I'll run my inline six with Polestar tune into the ground, then move on to another brand.

Volvo recently announced it'll be Hybrid or Electric by 2019 .. not offering only a combustion engine which was not quite true but very news worthy. Seems the actual intended statement was re-covered by Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...ar-strategy-is-badly-misleading/#23a021482ed9

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January