• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Volvo Appreciation Thread

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny that every time I kept telling the Volvo mechanic and owner of the XC90 I bought, that fuel efficiency was one priority, he kept repeating:

"Volvo sells safety, performance and luxury."

I was surprised that the V8 gets about the same as the V6 4Runner (22 mpg) did for normal mountain driving but can get into the high 20's on longer highway trips, even in CO. I imagine a T6 Turbo could get 30 or so.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Funny that every time I kept telling the Volvo mechanic and owner of the XC90 I bought, that fuel efficiency was one priority, he kept repeating:

Well these day it's really some performance and some luxury. Safety is completely across the board through regulation (perhaps TOO much). Of course I can also add that all the screens and electronics then take away a good portion of the safety through distraction...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always wanted a 960 wagon, but it never happened.

Nice driving cars.

"Interference" engines, though, IIRC, so Big Money if you lost a timing belt!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I was surprised that the V8 gets about the same as the V6 4Runner (22 mpg) did for normal mountain driving but can get into the high 20's on longer highway trips, even in CO. I imagine a T6 Turbo could get 30 or so.
The original T6 was a pig..sucked gas like mad. I actually liked the 5 cyl LPT better.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The original T6 was a pig..sucked gas like mad. I actually liked the 5 cyl LPT better.

The Polestar tuned T6 in my 2013 XC60 got slightly less than 24 mpg on a 2200 mile trip from the PNW to Moab and back. Travelling fast these days on the freeways of the west, but still, I thought a naked roof and a light load would have netted closer to 27.

But dayem, it is a fun engine!

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
Got a used 2015 v60 with 10k miles for a song last year to replace my 2004 Saab 95 Aero. Eight months later, my wife's 1998 Ford Explorer self-converted to a Ford Exploder via the transmission. Replaced that with a 2012 XC60 R-Design with Polestar tuning. It's all about the seats. We can drive for hours on end. Every other car seat feels like I'm in the bleachers.

The v60 is so smart, here's the first post-purchase stop.

IMG_7149.jpg IMG_8543.jpg

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
IMG_2485.JPG

Crappy iPhone photo from this weekend of the back end V90 t6 w/ matte finish wagon. That thing was gorgeous. Seriously, made us think about "the nex"t vehicle.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crappy iPhone photo from this weekend of the back end V90 t6 w/ matte finish wagon. That thing was gorgeous. Seriously, made us think about "the nex"t vehicle.

A friend of mine just replaced his 2014 XC60 R-Design with one of these.

I hate him just a little bit for that!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 22481

I saw one in Vermont when we were there..I was actually surprised how small err less large it was. It was parled next to a Outback that towered over it. But I will say, the lines were fantastic.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Volvo were years ahead of competitors in the aerodynamic heavy truck design. But have durability issues in the last decade or so. "White Volvos". If your from the windy city you might get it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Volvo were years ahead of competitors in the aerodynamic heavy truck design. But have durability issues in the last decade or so. "White Volvos". If your from the windy city you might get it.

Volvo cars and Volvo trucks are two completely different companies with different ownerships.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Didn't know that. Not a car guy. Canada builds the best HD trucks in the world. They've got all the bells & whistles.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Didn't know that. Not a car guy. Canada builds the best HD trucks in the world. They've got all the bells & whistles.

If you know British Columbia west coast logging then you probably have heard of Hayes Trucks (were built in Vancouver) even though they went out of business more than 40 years ago. There are still Hayes logging trucks operating today because they are so durable they can be re-powered and endlessly rebuilt.

As for Volvo, they had a car factory in Canada in the 1970s? in Nova Scotia?

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not everyday you see one of these! My husband pointed out that I was more surprised & excited to see this aqua Volvo today than I was to see a mountain lion in the woods yesterday ....
CA9B6AE1-3337-4DD3-A5EA-74C5AB95991E.jpeg

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Thinking about buying a used XC70. Any years or engines I should stay away from? Reliability is my main concern. I've driven Suburbans for at least 16 years so gas mileage is obviously not a priority. I'll be looking for something with low miles and most likely a CPO.

Sponsor

Staff online