• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Variations on a Theme by Josh Matta

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is one whose truth was brought home to me today:

It's not that I don't have the legs for road riding; it's that I don't have the legs for riding and the road proves it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you've got a dollar, and you spend a dollar; you don't have a dollar anymore do you.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like it, but I can't come up with anything at the moment. Actually a few work-related ones come to mind, but, well. ... nah.

Should we quote the original for the benefit of anyone who has joined our program already in progress?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
It's not that you can't play Stairway to Heaven on the accordion; it's that you can't play the accordion and Stairway to Heaven proves it!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Should we quote the original for the benefit of anyone who has joined our program already in progress?

Yes, please. Do the honors. But maybe with a proviso around "This is not a technique thread."

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"It's not that you can't ski bumps. It's that you can't ski, and the bumps prove it."

- Josh Matta, circa ten years ago and still a key insight.

****** Disclaimer *******
This is NOT a technique thread.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

It's not that I don't have the legs for road riding; it's that I don't have the legs for riding and the road proves it.

This is why xc racers do a lot of training on the road.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my recent favorites from Josh.
"Skiers judge themselves on the terrain they ski and not how they ski it."

There is a YUGE difference between survival and thriving

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

Eh, it's ok. As you aptly proved to me two or three years ago, it's not that I don't have the skills to ride a mountain bike, it's that I don't have the skills for riding and the rocks / roots / trees / obstacles / etc. prove it.

:(:cool::D:rolleyes:

It was damned fun though!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
It's not that you can't ski a slalom ski in Stowe trees, it's that you can't ski and the slalom ski proves it.

:eek::P:hail::duck:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've always said I just struggle with the whiteboard part of a software engineering interview, but I fear this might be the case:

"It's not the case that you don't whiteboard well. It's that you can't think on your feet, and the whiteboard proves it."

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always said I just struggle with the whiteboard part of a software engineering interview, but I fear this might be the case:

"It's not the case that you don't whiteboard well. It's that you can't think on your feet, and the whiteboard proves it."

Monique, this is an interesting topic. Really deserves its own thread. I happen to think that few of us are Mozarts, so it's fine to admit that I need to come at things in a kind of spiral fashion. Iterative, if you must. Whiteboard a little, code a little, Google a little, code a little more, repeat.

P.S., I have to interview two people in the next two days, so this is on my mind.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I don't come up with designs on the fly very well either. On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that I am very good at what I do.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I don't come up with designs on the fly very well either. On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that I am very good at what I do.

Yeah, and I hear your professional skills are pretty good, too. Just keep working gently on that knee.