• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Hence why it is my fantasy =/ It's a total cash cow and a tourist paradise. I would imagine they'd sell Keystone before they'd sell Breck. That might be my bias talking, but Breck does rack up those crazy high skier visits.

Then again, maybe it's thanks to VR that I can take a lift up peak 6 ...

I can't see Vail ever selling either. I think Vail would have to be liquidated before they broke up Summit County.

I also think there was a stronger anti-trust case in the 1990's than now. In the 1980's and 1990's, Breck and Keystone were much more regionally focused resorts than international destinations. My feel for 1980's Breck as a destination resort is similar to maybe Taos, Whitefish, or Crystal today. The anti-trust complaint focused on reducing competition for the front range skier market. At the time, Vail's competition was seen as the other ski resorts along 60 miles of I-70, now, Vail's competition is seen as every ski resort in the world, by both themselves and the other ski operators.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can't see Vail ever selling either. I think Vail would have to be liquidated before they broke up Summit County.

I also think there was a stronger anti-trust case in the 1990's than now. In the 1980's and 1990's, Breck and Keystone were much more regionally focused resorts than international destinations. My feel for 1980's Breck as a destination resort is similar to maybe Taos, Whitefish, or Crystal today. The anti-trust complaint focused on reducing competition for the front range skier market. At the time, Vail's competition was seen as the other ski resorts along 60 miles of I-70, now, Vail's competition is seen as every ski resort in the world, by both themselves and the other ski operators.
Anti-trust just almost doesn't exist (in the US) anymore.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't agree with this. I don't want to ski in a world where all the mountains are owned by a mega corp even if that is the only way to save the sport. You can argue they are just as much part of the problem as any solution they bring.

What is the problem? The high cost?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't agree with this. I don't want to ski in a world where all the mountains are owned by a mega corp even if that is the only way to save the sport. You can argue they are just as much part of the problem as any solution they bring.
You will be happy to know that PugSki.com is an independently owned, and financially struggling ski industry web site. :D

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It is as fantastic as they say. Best thing since sliced bread. Gotta put it on your bucket list.

Now, about the bridge in lower Manhattan. :D

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All kidding aside, Vail does ski very nicely. Other than being a bit crowded on holidays and the requirement for some truly steep stuff.
It fits about 90% of the skiing public to a V.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Never have been a mainstreamer. Love A Basin, Loveland and Wolf Creek with Irwin Lodge my all time favorite Colorado ski area. Spent two weeks at Crested Butte, skied Winter Park once but only remember MJ. Telluride was pretty awesome. Will get to Vail someday when I run out of new areas to visit.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Taos Ski Valley would be right up your alley.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Maybe VR will bring coffee prices down? The little Starbucks kiosk at Vista Haus at Breck charged something like $5 for a latte. Must be a bargain!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah. I hope the Canadians are ready for the Whistler Timmy Ho's to start selling $12 cups of coffee.

What!! We got Starbucks!! Take a Timmies any day!!

Vail has a contract with Starbucks, if their is a Timmy's there, it will get merged out..errr have it's rent raised to a point where it jsut doesn't make business sense to stay, this goes for any retail type stores that will compete with VRR (Vail Resort Retail).

Sponsor

Staff online