• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Upper Body Rotation in Turn Initiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawbawbel

Booting up
Pass Pulled
{Moderator Note:
This is a continuation of the discussion started in: https://forum.pugski.com/threads/ma-two-skiers-carving-video.4952/

End note}

Thanks "B-cubed"..... ;)
re the Ligety move: your definition makes sense to me and I do see that happening...this is what I could not quite define, but called tactical.

"the new turn is the old turns arms".........?...processing.
JP
Woops!
"The new turn is IN the old turn's arms"
Ligeti can coil and uncoil at any point in the turn. You will see him do this to produce a slivot to get his straight skis in line with the next gate.
But to do it between turns is the big deal.
We teach this to a snowplowing beginner by using the whole upper body instead of only the arms and starting from a traverse. This turn by rotation only is the basis of the whole course. The advantages are many.
shoo4.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Talking about annoying.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Woops!
"The new turn is IN the old turn's arms"
Ligeti can coil and uncoil at any point in the turn. You will see him do this to produce a slivot to get his straight skis in line with the next gate.
But to do it between turns is the big deal.
We teach this to a snowplowing beginner by using the whole upper body instead of only the arms and starting from a traverse. This turn by rotation only is the basis of the whole course. The advantages are many.
View attachment 24577

Your ski school intentionally teaches beginners to use upper body rotation to create a turn?
In a wedge? Do you have them continue to use upper body rotation when they are parallel, as in that video?

Are you aware that many believe this to be sacrilege? If so, how do you answer their objections?
I must admit I'm very curious (and ... well ... wondering if you're serious).

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
1)This approach is so radical that it has a good chance of being banned by
2) the "experts" like Harb was from Epic.

1)Radical- aka awful.
2) Just fyi, Harb was not from epic. In this case he would be right. You should post it over there and see what he says.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
although.......he may have a point. Schneider and Zdarsky might have agreed at some point in their careers. Even perhaps Joubert.

;)

Im pretty sure it may help in certain parameters with certain people at certain times and hopefully as a momentary tactic. I might question any move that takes the upper body (re any part of it) and moves it away from the next turn. It has been drilled into my inner core (through positive reinforcement, of course despite the mechanical analogy) that upper body turn initiation through gross movement has transcended time and space and now provides stability and strength so that the legs and stuff can guide the skis. the action is still taking place, just a wee bit lower. (npi)

sorry, Im a bit punchy today......

That winding up...or what they used to call turn prep, has evolved with technique and technique as evolved with the equipment we are skiing on....that is not to say that you HAVE to ski this way....its just what is now possible.

once terrain challenges are increased, I can see a few results that might cause duress to the learner....
-hip drop
-tail wash
-tip stall
-over turning

but it might get you out of a jam if you are stuck in some heavy moguls after a tactical unweighting or something....

Im still trying to wrap around the "The old turn is in the new turns arms"... do you mean the swing of the arms?

Ill get it....Im just slow.

JP

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
JP, I'm not sure this guy is serious.

Yes, UBR works. It's one of the easiest ways to get a beginner to make reliable turns. It works well when people are in the back seat. It works well with beginners who are making slow turns on nearly flat terrain. Why? Because it's so powerful. UBR is a big move, easy to do, and overpowers any of the normal issues that unskilled skiers have. It's a sure win.

But turning the upper body to yank the skis around is a horrible way to learn to make one's first turns. What people learn that first few hours sticks with them forever.

Why is it so bad? Because the upper body has a lot of mass/weight to it, and turning it back and forth will throw the skier out of balance. It takes a lot of work to stop that turning and make the torso with all its weight turn the other direction. It's jerky. Maintaining balance becomes difficult with all this movement of the upper body, especially when this habit accompanies leaning in and skiing from the back seat, which it often does because it's so powerful and allows skiers who are back and in to still make turns.

Observe any lower intermediate skier trying to ski bumps, any bumps, using upper body rotation to motor their turns. They might get one or two turns before falling. Observe any lower intermediate groomer skier on a hard snow blue run using UBR: you'll see their tails wash out in the bottom of every turn as they sling the skis around and then brace for the inevitable diagonal downhill skid. There are lots of ways to get stuck on the terminal intermediate plateau; this is one of the worst.

Bawbawbel, what say you? Are you messing with us?

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The French had an upper body rotation into the turn accompanied by an extension.......in the 1940s!!! The guy who taught it to me as my first parallel turns described it: Down, Up and Around. I remember him shouting that chant repeatedly to our group of kiddos. The outside arm was to swing around as the shoulders dove into the turn direction from being square with the skis in a flexed traverse position.

TS
bawbawbel

bawbawbel

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Your ski school intentionally teaches beginners to use upper body rotation to create a turn?
In a wedge? Do you have them continue to use upper body rotation when they are parallel, as in that video?

Are you aware that many believe this to be sacrilege? If so, how do you answer their objections?
I must admit I'm very curious (and ... well ... wondering if you're serious).
The upper body must not rotate RELATIVE to the direction of the skis as the turn begins. Main objection overcome. (Lots of shouting "Wait, wait ! )
I agree with Bob Barnes (who doesn't?) that every skier who looks like they have got the lot uses every part of their body as required.
But his roundup of the 5 different rotation moves doesn't include a way forward.
I find that it is far better to teach Upper Body earlier than later because turn confidence helps progress, for a start.
Look at that little skier in the background of my GIF. She changes direction between frames ! Without all the complications that beginners hate.
Rotation Transfer will always be available to her, but she will soon add fast leg rotations because of the long preparation time ( preturn, stop, wait ).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Baw, at what point do you help them expand their range and move to alternatives a la turning from the feet (tipping, steering), etc... and move away from shoulder rotation to initiate?

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
The upper body must not rotate RELATIVE to the direction of the skis as the turn begins.
What does this mean?
-signed,
Dazed and Confused While Rotating Around the Earth's Core.

The French had an upper body rotation into the turn accompanied by an extension.......in the 1940s!!! The guy who taught it to me as my first parallel turns described it: Down, Up and Around. I remember him shouting that chant repeatedly to our group of kiddos. The outside arm was to swing around as the shoulders dove into the turn direction from being square with the skis in a flexed traverse position.

Like this? It's the 50's though.
Go to 11:35:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Kneale Brownson posted: "The French had an upper body rotation into the turn accompanied by an extension.......in the 1940s!!! The guy who taught it to me as my first parallel turns described it: Down, Up and Around. I remember him shouting that chant repeatedly to our group of kiddos. The outside arm was to swing around as the shoulders dove into the turn direction from being square with the skis in a flexed traverse position."

Kneale, I assume you had this type of turn initiation deeply embedded in your muscle memory at an early age. When shaped skis came along, how much trouble was it for you to convert over to initiating with your feet and legs rather than using all that upper body rotational momentum? Do you remember the process? Did it happen slowly and unconsciously, or was it a deliberate conversion? Was it easy?

How about when you get a student who turns this way... how much difficulty do you encounter teaching them to start their turns with their feet and legs?

I'm asking because I started skiing on shaped skis and never went through this change-over. (I did however go through all kinds of other change-overs due to picking up many dysfunctional habits from the start.)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
...and a second thought here....
I recently went to my first PSIA National Academy, a one-week instructional event held at Snowbird, Utah. I skied with PSIA's best that week. At one point (in chopped up cruddy snow) my group leader had me lead the new turn with my new outside arm, as seen in the video James just posted.

So there you go; using the upper body to motor a turn is certainly not dead.

TS
bawbawbel

bawbawbel

Booting up
Pass Pulled
"The upper body must not rotate RELATIVE to the direction of the skis as the turn begins."

1, What does this mean?

2.Like this? It's the 50's though.
Go to 11:35:

1. This is the most important part of the technique. While still in a traverse we use upper/lower body separation to get an upper body rotation in the direction of the proposed turn going. It is a phantom move which turns the skis only when we lock the upper and lower body together. (Upper body stays square with the skis from this point as we lean into the turn ). I used to call this uncoiling "blocking" but Bob calls it "stopping". With 5 year olds the lesson is just "follow me".

2. Definitely not. The turn then takes place without any further "motoring with the outside arm" or upweighting etc. Hence the "wait" command.
Joubet gave the theory to Stein Ericson when they were skiing in Portilo and he immediately linked the turns as the Mambo.
I would post some of the funny antics that people insist is the Mambo, but not now.

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I recently went to my first PSIA National Academy, a one-week instructional event held at Snowbird, Utah. I skied with PSIA's best that week. At one point (in chopped up cruddy snow) my group leader had me lead the new turn with my new outside arm, as seen in the video James just posted.

Jealous!....me jealous. Heck, I didnt even make Spring Rally this year!
;)

I have always held with the theory that to throw movement patterns out for the sake of trend is for lemmings!......You can go back past Harb, LeMaster, Joubert, Ericson, Killy, Kruckenhauser, Allais, Schneider, Zdarsky and Norheim....hell, back past the Birkenbeiners for gods sake, and trace all the greatest moves we do today...all that is held on high as a perfection of the evolution of skiing, back to the earliest roots.

Im reading Jouberts book now....and we have come a long way from even there. Back in the 80s, braking moves were all the rage to control speed at least through intermediate levels. ....But if you dig deeper, and read between the lines: what the equipment had to offer, each country's stylistic lineage, and the mindsets...you can see good skiing and the efficient basic movement patterns there and solidly repeating themselves throughout (modern.....lets say 1937 and on....) history. Great skiing morphs with the equipment as does accepted style, but the fundamentals hardly go away, in fact they really must stay intact. (bipeds that we are and all that)

@Kneale Brownson posted: "The French had an upper body rotation into the turn accompanied by an extension.......in the 1940s!!! The guy who taught it to me as my first parallel turns described it: Down, Up and Around. I remember him shouting that chant repeatedly to our group of kiddos. The outside arm was to swing around as the shoulders dove into the turn direction from being square with the skis in a flexed traverse position."

Kneale, I assume you had this type of turn initiation deeply embedded in your muscle memory at an early age. When shaped skis came along, how much trouble was it for you to convert over to initiating with your feet and legs rather than using all that upper body rotational momentum? Do you remember the process? Did it happen slowly and unconsciously, or was it a deliberate conversion? Was it easy?
How about when you get a student who turns this way... how much difficulty do you encounter teaching them to start their turns with their feet and legs?
I'm asking because I started skiing on shaped skis and never went through this change-over. (I did however go through all kinds of other change-overs due to picking up many dysfunctional habits from the start.)

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the question, Liquid....Im sure Kneale has his own take...but this really resonated with me....

It took me years of skiing to embrace the new "skiing moderne" we are all aspiring to these days. Each and every "style" I have learned from the early 70s when I started because it was all so much fun, is difficult to let go of and takes a mindset for change to accept and then adopt evolving movement patterns. For me, its the braking moves from shortswing and wedlin, and check-hops......(and Ill throw a few in here and there, just for history's sake)

Growth Mindset has been a buzzword in the K-12 teaching community lately and embraces flexibility of the mind.....its a good read, actually.......

The equipment is surely new. Im seeing that this fact alone is largely the impetus for new movement patterns. We have looked to the racing world for decades to try to define what GREAT skiing is.....and then have tried to break it down and dissect it all so we can emulate it.

DIRT is another hugely morphing factor historically......The fundamental skills (BREP) are still intact.....but with regards to how, how much, when and where in a turn we apply the skills have shifted over the years. Its like thinking about rotary application or flexion and extension in moguls as opposed to GS turns. We skied both in the 70's.....but the application of the skills was approached with a different mindset on different equipment.

LIke Kneale, I learned "UP....DOWN....AROUND"..... dont say that now, however!.....but good skiing is still in there...we just have to be aware of how we apply and teach it.

I am embracing "teaching to strengths", where we work with the strengths a skier has so that we are taking away as little as possible. If we must take something away, like a really bad habit, then we must replace it with a good one...... We know that if a beginning skier is using a wide platform it's for security. I like to work with the platform, knowing that over time, I can introduce other movement patterns that will reduce the platform by adding other skills......as opposed to simply saying...."keep your feet closer together"

MarkoJP touched on this I think:
When thinking about how to work with excessive upper body rotation, I like to introduce the concept of "re-focusing the energy" ....all that arm movement, or upper body swing, or hip steering, can be re-focused with awareness exercises. given the right terrain and guidance, comfort can be found by adding energy skills to the lower body.....once the efficiency is realized, the other patterns fade. Its good to keep some stabilizing energy in the core, which can also generate that "wind up" used to then release the legs and skis to seek the fall line. the legs can begin to activate and take the energy from the release and continue to guide the feet and skis....

Bcubed, I would love to see a clip of some "two step" and "Mambo", ect....

;)

JP

James

Out There
Instructor
You best rephrase your fundamental technique because it doesn't make sense.
Do you not see how the following statements are at odds?
This is the most important part of the technique. While still in a traverse we use upper/lower body separation to get an upper body rotation in the direction of the proposed turn going. It is a phantom move which turns the skis only when we lock the upper and lower body together. (Upper body stays square with the skis from this point as we lean into the turn ). I used to call this uncoiling "blocking"

"The upper body must not rotate RELATIVE to the direction of the skis as the turn begins."

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

I went through multiple technique alterations before I started with PSIA about 20 years later in 1969, and all the upper body influence was tamed. Stein brought his racing influence to our school's team (I wasn't on the team, but skied with the kids who were), I took some lessons from the Austrians near by and then I started training with PSIA, earning my Full Cert (LIII) in '74, still ahead of shapes by nearly 20 years. When I got on my first shaped skis, my body was old enough to appreciate the reduction in physical effort to make turns, and I had no problem adapting. I have found concentrating on foot movements (I'm a big fan of Sean Warman's foot stuff: ) helps refocus folks from body movements to initiate turns.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Initiating from the shoulders was already considered wrong when I learned in the early 1970's. Heel pushing was the problem I learned with that I later had to get rid of. I have a book from around then titled something like "How to become an expert recreational skier." I'd look through it, but I think it is upstairs (a long journey on crutches).

Anybody have a rough timeline of major changes in ski technique?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

The key is to be able to use the arms as you mention without rotating thee torso in the direction the skis are traveling. Really glad to hear someone at the top talking about this.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
bawbawbel posted:

"This is the most important part of the technique. While still in a traverse we use upper/lower body separation to get an upper body rotation in the direction of the proposed turn going. It is a phantom move which turns the skis only when we lock the upper and lower body together. (Upper body stays square with the skis from this point as we lean into the turn ). I used to call this uncoiling "blocking" but Bob calls it "stopping". With 5 year olds the lesson is just "follow me".

OK, I'm still paying attention. Some of your words raise alerts on my radar, but maybe they shouldn't. Is this (below) another way of saying what you are describing? Sorry I have so many words, but I want to understand what you are saying and worry that I've been getting it wrong.

1. your upper body and skis are both facing/pointing towards the trees during the bottom half of the old turn (upper body is square to the skis)
2. you turn your upper body to face downhill ("coiling"), while the skis continue to point and travel towards the trees ("phantom move")
3. this is when you "lean into the turn;" meaning, you tilt your body downhill, allowing your weight to cross downhill over both skis
4. you stop your upper body's rotation once it faces the bottom of the hill, and lock upper and lower body together ("blocking" or "stopping")
5. this "locking" transfers the upper body's rotation to the skis; at this point you allow them to use that momentum to turn to point and travel downhill
6. as the skis turn downhill, they will square up to the upper body about when they point down the fall line
7. from that point you keep the upper body square to the skis through the bottom of the turn
8. then you turn it to face downhill and start the whole thing over again in the other direction

========================================================================================
If I've got the above right, then I have three questions.

--To what extent do you rely on the sidecut and bend of the skis to determine the radius of these turns?
--Are you aware of the rather heavy baggage associated with the terms in blue? You might consider replacing those terms with some others to avoid triggering doubts in readers.
--Have you tried not squaring up at the bottom but continuing to keep the upper body somewhat facing downhill (hanging onto more counter with short radius turns, and less counter with mediums, and minimal counter with long turns), so you don't have to "turn" it back and forth so much?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online