• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

UNOFFICIAL RESORT GUIDES HOLDING AREA

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know members are looking for a place to host their Unofficial Resort Guides. Post them in this thread and then we can decide how we are going to do the regions. Any questions, please let us know.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Posaune, beautiful stuff, but what about your photos? If they are hosted on EpicSki won't they go poof on Friday?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Hmm. I'm not a computer guy, so I didn't realize that they were only links and were not transferred. I guess I can look up the originals and replace them but is there an easier way? My photo storage system is kind of a mess. I copied and pasted both guides to a Word document, but is it linked too? Otherwise I can just replace them with the Word version, maybe, if the stars align. As I say, I'm not a big computer nerd.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hmm. I'm not a computer guy, so I didn't realize that they were only links and were not transferred. I guess I can look up the originals and replace them but is there an easier way? My photo storage system is kind of a mess. I copied and pasted both guides to a Word document, but is it linked too? Otherwise I can just replace them with the Word version, maybe, if the stars align. As I say, I'm not a big computer nerd.

Ouch, if you did this, then it seems as if Word is also storing links to the pictures. Not sure how to solve that. Maybe if you paste to the editor in Google Drive? Will it also save links? drive.google.com

Pinging @Philpug to the courtesy keyboard. :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Save stuff where you can, but if the links go back to Epic, they will be lost, so save everything.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You need a computer utility that copies websites. I always used "wget" but it is a bit UNIXy and nerdy. Over on the epic RIP thread someone (not going to bother looking) recommended a more modern program that does the same thing:

https://www.httrack.com/

I just read the welcome page -- looks pretty easy to use.

These programs will suck down the actual photos when they come to a linked photo.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I just tested the Word idea by putting a photo on Epic, copying and pasting it to a Word doc, quitting Word, deleting the picture on Epic, closing my internet connection, reopening Word to the document with the pic, and there it was. If it linked the picture from Epic, it did it by ESP. I'm hopeful that my Word documents are sound. When there's a place to stick the info, I'll do it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can also start a media album here on Pugski to host your photos.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
You can also start a media album here on Pugski to host your photos.
True enough, but I would have to dig out years of photos from my voluminous pile rather than just copy the ones I've chosen already. The guides are all put together already, so I don't want to reinvent them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
True enough, but I would have to dig out years of photos from my voluminous pile rather than just copy the ones I've chosen already. The guides are all put together already, so I don't want to reinvent them.
I just went in and saved the first 4 photos in your UG to my desktop and uploaded them directly so they aren't linked to another site. Does that look right to you?

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I just went in and saved the first 4 photos in your UG to my desktop and uploaded them directly so they aren't linked to another site. Does that look right to you?
Seems right. If the ones I've put here don't make the transfer for whatever reason I've got personal copies of the guides, that don't seem to be linked, as a backup.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK..I started a forum for the Unofficial Resorts, HERE. Please note how the threads are being titled and lets keep it consistent. If you miss something, no worries I can go in and edit. I will be changing hte permissions of the forum to give unlimited editing time so you will be able to go back anc change and update as you see fit.

PLEASE NOTE: ANY LINKS BACK TO EPICSKI WILL BE LOST. UPDATE LINKS AS YOU SEE FIT. IF YOU NEED TO MAKE A GALLERY FOR YOUR IMAGES, PLEASE DO SO HERE.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Posaune, beautiful stuff, but what about your photos? If they are hosted on EpicSki won't they go poof on Friday?
I don't know if this helps but if you wrote the guide, I would think it is ok. If you want the whole page including videos, pics etc you can use Mozilla Firefox browser.to save as an html file The way I tried it is: 1. open page in browser 2. Left click on the 3 vertical lines to right of browser 3. Left click on save page 4. Save file wherever you want but don't change the file name (The save as type is Web page, complete...). This saves the url page and also saves a data file. 5. I turn off wifi to make sure I am not pulling the web page on the internet. 6. Right click on the saved url file and open with mozilla firefox. 7, You will see the page and hopefully the associated stuff. Not sure how you would transfer this to Pugski though. I don't know how to save a thread with multiple pages. This seems to only work with the current open web page. The data file should have the associated pics.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If anyone here needs help saving their photos in the Guide, let me know and I'll be happy to help

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
check your images to make sure they are not "links" to EpicSki.

*I just looked at yours and the images are good

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had to manually copy the text and re-upload each pic. It was't a big deal, but a bit time consuming. I got all of Big Bear covered.
I added all the photos into the Mt Baker Guide and it was time consuming, but not as bad as having to rebuild the whole guide.

Sponsor

Staff online