• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

University of New Mexico Drops NCAA Ski Program

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Very interesting article. I've spoken to a few people about this topic, including one mentioned in the article. My sense is that there is going to be a lot of work undertaken to raise the money and interest to keep the UNM program going beyond this coming year. Kudo's to the team themselves for how they went about this, and also to their coaches.

The bigger issue, IMO, is the long term viability of NCAA skiing at the bigger state Universities. Back in the East, a number of years ago UNH made the call to dump the sport. An alumni group with a few big hitters came up with the money to fully endow it. Fact is that an objective review of what these programs cost, per athlete, especially at the scholarship schools, means that they could ALL be flushed at any time. There was zero appetite to keep it at UNH, until it was completely paid for.

So it sounds like there will be some collaborative work done to rise all boats with the tide, and to strengthen college skiing. I would assume that it will involve the USST, USSA, USCSA as well. All good.

The last tidbit that I hear came out of this was an even greater awareness of what the rosters look like, and where the kids hail from. The UNM spokesman is from Steamboat, and he probably is never going to race in the NCAA's.
Most of those competing are not American.
I have heard that this issue of SO many foreign scholarship students is potentially an hot spot. The problem is that a lot of the coaches are Euro's and they don't see any conflict. They have always bought their athletes from outside of the US. They are focused on being the best, and go to their comfort zone. Very understandable. And those Euro kids are great young people, as well.

From the point of a state funded university athletic team, federal funding and all of that "stuff", it has the potential to be a bit contentious.

Very glad to see the save by UNM. But I am quite certain that for the sport to be sustainable, some changes may need to take place. Just a matter of time before some state rep pulls a full on nutty over a roster with not only none of his state's residents, but no Americans. Regardless of GPA or success.

Not taking sides. Just saying that they and others might be wise to consider how to navigate this. They may need to swing the pendulum back a bit, IMO.

I'm all for the best competition. Just putting on my thinking cap to help position these programs to survive.

It's kind of exploded over the past ten years.

Very pleased for UNM.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interesting article. I've spoken to a few people about this topic, including one mentioned in the article. My sense is that there is going to be a lot of work undertaken to raise the money and interest to keep the UNM program going beyond this coming year. Kudo's to the team themselves for how they went about this, and also to their coaches.

The bigger issue, IMO, is the long term viability of NCAA skiing at the bigger state Universities. Back in the East, a number of years ago UNH made the call to dump the sport. An alumni group with a few big hitters came up with the money to fully endow it. Fact is that an objective review of what these programs cost, per athlete, especially at the scholarship schools, means that they could ALL be flushed at any time. There was zero appetite to keep it at UNH, until it was completely paid for.

So it sounds like there will be some collaborative work done to rise all boats with the tide, and to strengthen college skiing. I would assume that it will involve the USST, USSA, USCSA as well. All good.

The last tidbit that I hear came out of this was an even greater awareness of what the rosters look like, and where the kids hail from. The UNM spokesman is from Steamboat, and he probably is never going to race in the NCAA's.
Most of those competing are not American.
I have heard that this issue of SO many foreign scholarship students is potentially an hot spot. The problem is that a lot of the coaches are Euro's and they don't see any conflict. They have always bought their athletes from outside of the US. They are focused on being the best, and go to their comfort zone. Very understandable. And those Euro kids are great young people, as well.

From the point of a state funded university athletic team, federal funding and all of that "stuff", it has the potential to be a bit contentious.

Very glad to see the save by UNM. But I am quite certain that for the sport to be sustainable, some changes may need to take place. Just a matter of time before some state rep pulls a full on nutty over a roster with not only none of his state's residents, but no Americans. Regardless of GPA or success.

Not taking sides. Just saying that they and others might be wise to consider how to navigate this. They may need to swing the pendulum back a bit, IMO.

I'm all for the best competition. Just putting on my thinking cap to help position these programs to survive.

It's kind of exploded over the past ten years.

Very pleased for UNM.

Yes! Iirc in years past ( the olden days) in European soccer leagues and tournaments there was a limit on the number of non citizen players you could have on your team. Particularly given the funding source, time to think about that here!

Sponsor

Staff online