• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

University of New Mexico Drops NCAA Ski Program

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess I should have been more clear. I understand your point: either compete with everything you can or don't compete at all. But I noted some qualifiers that might reflect differently on your broad-based approach. My point is that US students and taxpayers are paying for international competitors to further their racing careers. Some people - like myself - might find that an inappropriate expenditure of tuition and tax money.

So here's my question (and it's basically a yes or no answer): do you find that expenditure of tuition and tax monies by US/state schools appropriate?

That speaks to my point.

Yes

But it is not that simple, you asked my opinion, that of a former collegiate athlete who benefitted from scholarship, so I might be biased. I will say that if you are not happy with the current citation I would try to get it changed. I get the other side of the coin, you can make a compelling emotional case, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it will not make US skiers better. Yes it might create more space, but the cream rises, and as Anthony Robbins wrote in one of his books, "the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees"

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jay, I can understand your logic and at one level I agree with you that you ideally need to get the best and like you I hate participation trophies. However I do come from a similar position as Muleski. Since it is in large part state and federal taxpayer funds that are underpinning most of these scholarships (yes, we can always make arguments that they are separately funded but as we all know the overall funding to colleges is fungible and you can play all sorts of games with it) to me it makes more sense to use that money to fund the development of our own athletes. There is a huge shortage of openings and funding for many of those on the brink of the USST and targeting more of it at these home-grown athletes could help propel them forward and to the WC rather than leaving the sport. It can be done - look at Sam Morse as an example. Also it looks like most of these overseas athletes coming here, for us to fund their development, are a little bit older and already seasoned. Personally I would prefer to see these scholarships going to development of our rising stars. YMMV

You make a great point and I would not argue with your logic in taking state/federal funding from universities and putting it towards a US biased talent program. I would have zero problem with that. But as long as it is called NCAA and a competition I think you go for the best athlete.

I was often asked by parents of aspiring golfers, what is the most important thing to I can do for my child. My ONLY answer was to get a great education. My theory was, injuries can end a career (yes even in golf) IF you bypassed college you were now an "uneducated" adult. The education you get in via an NCAA collegiate career is fantastic. It is a great fall back if your sport of choice does not work out. Let's face it, the number who go beyond the NCAA level and are successful is very small.

As if I had foresight in my own family, my daughter was a talented junior tennis player, who showed a lot of promise. She had a very bad knee injury in the summer between her Junior and Senior year in high school. Yes she did go on to play college tennis, but due to her injury she became interested in medicine and next month will graduate with a Pre-Med degree. Knowing a bit about what it takes, no, she did not have the mental toughness to make it as a pro, so college was perfect for her, but pre-injury I never told her (I have still never told her that) that she was not tough enough. Did she have the physical talent to hit the ball, YEP, but it takes a lot more than physical talent.

So, yes, I am a big believer in NCAA sports

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

But it is not that simple, you asked my opinion, that of a former collegiate athlete who benefitted from scholarship, so I might be biased. I will say that if you are not happy with the current citation I would try to get it changed. I get the other side of the coin, you can make a compelling emotional case, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it will not make US skiers better. Yes it might create more space, but the cream rises, and as Anthony Robbins wrote in one of his books, "the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees"

Actually, it seems to me that if US skiers could make up the team, they would almost certainly benefit (aka "be better") due to the coaching and the exposure to competition. Because if they don't make the team because it's filled with internationals working on their career, they most certainly are not going to get better.

Perhaps you meant to say that it will not make the teams better? That might make sense, but if US skiers made up the US NCAA teams, they would almost certainly get better because, as I mentioned, of the coaching and exposure to competition.

And it still seems wrong to me to spend money from tuition and US taxpayers to help international competitors with their career. You haven't changed my mind on that.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually, it seems to me that if US skiers could make up the team, they would almost certainly benefit (aka "be better") due to the coaching and the exposure to competition. Because if they don't make the team because it's filled with internationals working on their career, they most certainly are not going to get better.

Perhaps you meant to say that it will not make the teams better? That might make sense, but if US skiers made up the US NCAA teams, they would almost certainly get better because, as I mentioned, of the coaching and exposure to competition.

And it still seems wrong to me to spend money from tuition and US taxpayers to help international competitors with their career. You haven't changed my mind on that.

There is no doubt that more competition will make you better, that is undeniable! I don't get how these older Europeans are allowed to ski NCAA. I thought there was an eligibility window that coincided with the conclusion of high school.

I am a new skier, so I am not really knowledgeable about the junior/college ski community the way you are. I am only making comments about competition and improving in general.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My personal opinion - I would support paying for coaches and travel expenses but not athletic scholarships. I agree with pais alto - broad-based scholarships make a better team but why is that the goal? I like the baseball model where the pros pay for their own minor leagues.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
you can make a compelling emotional case, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it will not make US skiers better. Yes it might create more space, but the cream rises, and as Anthony Robbins wrote in one of his books, "the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees"

I disagree. I followed a skier who came into a lesser known Division I school and made the team as an unremarkable freshman. He would not have made the team if there had been a full fleet of Europa Cup veterans. He made great progress in those four years and ended up making the US team after graduation, eventually becoming our #2 GS skier and top 30 in the world. The sport has few late bloomers, but it does happen, and will never happen if we shut out the opportunity for 18 year old Americans by filling the team with 23 year old Euros.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My perspective is based on involvement in two non-revenue college sports for two generations and also having friends in revenue sports. With the NCAA, Title IX, amateur standing issues, boosters/alumni, foreign participation, government funding, coaches, agents, athletic tutors, educator purists, the media, alumni donation pressures, societal glorification of athletes, sponsor under the table, cost to compete competition, Nike, education falsehoods, graduation rates, PED-s, etc., I can't even begin to unravel things in favor or what might work better, despite the flaws. I think it would be easier to fix health care.

To pull a quote from one of my favorite scenes in Hail Caesar. "But if it twere so simple."

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I disagree. I followed a skier who came into a lesser known Division I school and made the team as an unremarkable freshman. He would not have made the team if there had been a full fleet of Europa Cup veterans. He made great progress in those four years and ended up making the US team after graduation, eventually becoming our #2 GS skier and top 30 in the world. The sport has few late bloomers, but it does happen, and will never happen if we shut out the opportunity for 18 year old Americans by filling the team with 23 year old Euros.

Zach Johnson went to Drexel, he won The Masters and The British Open. It happens, but it is extremely rare.

It's better to rule for the 99% than drag everyone down to help one. LIke I said previously, IF you are good enough, you will eventually succeed

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'm going to circle back here one more time. As is always the case, people are both well intended in their opinions and comments. But, equally so, it is quite clear that some do not understand the unique world of NCAA skiing.

I do not want to insult anybody. I do not want to downplay anybody's college or professional athletic experience. However, suggesting that what applies to one sport simply translates to the ski world is wrong.

I have tried to explain that, in my experience, {which goes back at a pretty high level, for five decades}, the TINY size of the sport, the incredibly high talent level at the very top, and the fact that things are very complicated with how this fits in with a variety of national ski teams and their federations make this confusing.

I was curious to look into the world of college golf. 887 NCAA teams. Average team size for men of 10. That might not be entirely accurate. But it is bigger that Alpine skiing, which as I have previously posted has fewer than 20 teams, and more like 100 total male skiers competing.

So, this crap about participation trophies is nonsense. As well as somehow saving spots for non competitive skiers. At the better programs, no chance. And the best Euro's will not be headed to mediocre programs.

Secondly, the sport has been governed, driven, etc. in such a way, for years, that our best young skiers, who qualified for the USST system did not bypass that to attend college. Those who attended college did so off season, and never competed in college, or, went to school and competed after their USST careers ended.

There are frankly more ex USST women in NCAA college racing today than men. It has been somewhat fluid between genders over the past 20 years. The key point is that if you had the apparent talent to aspire to the top, the World Cup, you were never advised that the best route was the NCAA....if you were American.

Ligety, Bode, MS, LV....never gave college a look. And were not encouraged to. And the list is pretty long. Like almost everybody.

So right now our "best" are not in college. However, some of the best from other countries ARE here, skiing in the NCAA. Not every school in that tiny NCAA group offers athletic scholarships. Fewer that half of them do. The "full ride" is pretty rare, and they are very disproportionally being awarded to top European and Canadian skiers.

Does it make the NCAA ranks stronger? Yes. Would other NCAA skiers like to see quotas,etc.? I doubt it. Families and others, maybe.

One more time....here is the "issue." I can't go through every single country, but the issues are the same. This is an expensive sport. The amount of support and the expense per athlete at the national team level is huge. In our USST, we have about half of our athletes needing to pay a lot of their own way. That "funding gap" has been the top concern for at least 10 years, and the organization can't close it. Frustrating.

So let's look at one country. Let's assume that they have a WC team, a Europa Cup team, a "C" team where the guys race a mix of starts, and a traditional Development team. They do not have the sponsorship and funding to make it all work. They think this through, year after year. And then they take the bold step to cut way back on their C and D teams, support a small number who clearly can be another MS.....and actively work to help the others come to the USA to race in the NCAA. There were a number of NCAA racers scoring WC points this year, and i think one American.

The disconnect is that on our own country, our ski leadership still looks right down their noses and ignores, avoids, downplays this NCAA pipeline. Stupid. Leif Haugen is a better tech skier than anybody skiing all of last season in a US uniform. Four years at DU, and a lot of back and forth with the Norwegian WC team seems to have worked.

My frustration is not that the NCAA is full of foreign students. I do think there are very legitimate discussions to be had about how those state university programs are funded, though.

I have HEARD more than one European coach say that they decided to cut back on their programs, ship the skiers to the USA, and "let your government and states pay for the development of our future WC skiers." Their mouths to my ears.

I am not sure how anybody can not be a touch irritated with that. It does NOT cut both ways. I have been involved in trying to place some top level US skiers in the best European academies and they will not even consider it. Why would they help the competition? Nope.

Meanwhile, the best skiers are not in the NCAA, at the right time. Our skiers are not there. I am not going to get into athlete management in this thread. Other that to say for quite a few, college might be a great pipeline.

My wife and I have big families with many cousins and neices and nephews. A ton of former NCAA athletes, some national champions. A pretty good number of pro athletes. We have many other friends in this ski world.

I've posted it above. NCAA skiing is very different. The eligibility is a whole different issue. Gets very confusing. Most competitive skiers, including ours, are older as freshmen. Just how it works.

The dynamics are really unlike any other sport that I am aware of. And I KNOW that when the conversation takes place of saving these state university teams, the fewer American students and coaching staff, the harder the conversation.

These guys sure do not recruit locally, haha!

Sorry to sound like a broken drum. Over and out!

Hope UNM pulls off the save.

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
There is a lot of great discussion here, but keep an eye on the stories coming out around the Lobos, UNM, the athletic director and the New Mexico governor's education cuts. There is a lot going on here beyond just NCAA skiing.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Agree, sure sounds like it, when it comes to New Mexico. What a mess! Good luck to them.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am a new skier, so I am not really knowledgeable about the junior/college ski community .

Jay, your lack of ski background is clear. Read Muleski's posts. Read them carefully. The mule knows skiing.

This is not golf. Big generalizations about motivation and cream rising is not the issue. Our skiers are not soft and spoiled, they are under-funded. We are giving that funding away, and in the case of New Mexico, driving it away.

What we have now is only about five top teams, each with an eight pack chair full of well supported foreigners. My ideal would be about 25 good serious teams, with some of the best and brightest Americans, as well as few international students in there to broaden the perspective.

I'd really like to see NM as one of those teams. If it wasn't such a massively lopsided sport, it would be more likely to save the team.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Swedish friend, former NM Lobo, and NCAA champion posted this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former UNM official: Krebs should go; ski team should remain
By Linda Estes / Former UNM associate athletic director
Published: Sunday, April 23rd, 2017 at 12:05am
Updated: Monday, April 24th, 2017 at 7:47am

The University of New Mexico intercollegiate skiing program has done nothing but reflect positively on UNM and the state of New Mexico. The team has continually competed successfully on a regional and national basis, winning UNM’s first national championship in 2004. The ski team members do extremely well academically, and their behavior has not embarrassed the athletic department. The skiing program also manages to operate within its budget on an annual basis.

On the other hand, the UNM athletic director has allowed the athletic department to exceed its budget year after year and accrue a deficit in the millions. His poor hiring decisions alone have cost UNM countless dollars in contract buyouts. Now this poor fiscal management has resulted in a decision to drop the intercollegiate skiing program. Why not drop Krebs instead? His salary alone amounts to almost half of the budget of the skiing program. The intercollegiate skiing program has brought great honor and international recognition to UNM, and it should be continued.

Estes is the former UNM Associate Athletic Director and lives in Koloa, Hawaii

https://www.abqjournal.com/992302/former-unm-official-krebs-should-go-ski-team-should-remain.html