• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Twitter Quitters

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Twitter quitters:

While some celebs have fabricated lucrative empires for themselves by exploiting social media, many other public figures are scaling back their use of social media. I guess there are various reasons for this such as the desire to avoid making PR blunders, evading hostile criticism/verbal attacks, or to regain personal/family time. Very recent twitter quitters include golfer Rory McIlroy and pop singer Ed Sheeran. If only we could get The Donald to join them;-)

I never really looked at it in this light, but I guess ski forums like PugSki are social media?? Anyone concerned about the overuse of social media by themselves or family members? Do you have advice about managing the issue? Exempting ski forums:)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jim, this is a trend we are seeing. This past 18 months have changed Twitter and quite frankly, we are not doing hardly anything thing on it. For a while we pushed pretty hard and our analytics showed that the traffic was not coming from Twitter, less than 10% of our Bitlink traffic came from Twitter. We have seen the vast majority of our social media traffic come from Facebook.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I ... do think Twitter is more popular with younger people. Younger than me, anyway.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used Twitter more yesterday than I ever have but that was for one specific reason (to track when LSAT scores started to release). But in general I just don't get it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Rachel taught me to check Twitter for I-70 traffic issues ... that's 99% of what I use it for.

I have an ancient iPad I almost never use, but occasionally I'll load up Flipboard and browse through the recent stuff I've followed on Twitter - it's much more readable that way.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I ... do think Twitter is more popular with younger people. Younger than me, anyway.

I just posed the question to my 17 year old niece who is a very active high schooler ... twitter or face book. She said I'm out of touch. snapchat

I totally agree about twitter/cdot/I70. They seem to post there 1st before updating their own app

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Cost/benefit. Sometimes the internet is just a toxic place and it's better to cut and run. One of my professional mantras: unless you're a politician, why ask the public for their opinion!! :D

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Facebook is for oldies and the middle aged, Twitter is for celebs and presidents and lazy journalists who don't need to do much work to cook up a story. Snapchat apparently where the cool kids are until they are not because something faster, more intuitive and more Zeitgeisty comes along. Tech stock valuations are nutso because they all rely on an assumption that active users keep increasing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Twitter is more a tool to follow a person or small group of people. Forums are more source of information about things and larger groups. I followed a couple musicians I look up to on twitter for a couple weeks. It was fun to see how they spend their days on tour, what they do, etc. After a couple weeks though it got pretty boring and repetitive.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Not on FB, Twitter, Snapchat or any of those type sites. Haven't got a clue what to do with my LinkedIn account, so I never go there. Pugski is the only social media-like place I ever participate in, though I used to participate in a couple of motorsports forums years ago.

I used to be a software engineer, but ever since getting thrown off that boat, I find I'm becoming more and more of a technology curmudgeon.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not on FB, Twitter, Snapchat or any of those type sites. Haven't got a clue what to do with my LinkedIn account, so I never go there. Pugski is the only social media-like place I ever participate in, though I used to participate in a couple of motorsports forums years ago.

I used to be a software engineer, but ever since getting thrown off that boat, I find I'm becoming more and more of a technology curmudgeon.

Next big fad with the cool kids: the social media fast

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I always consider forums as virtual pubs.

One walks in, sits down with a drink and sizes up the crowd. Strikes up a conversation or two. If there's common language and topic of interests, one stays and comes back over and over again.

Tweeter strikes me like the "pit" in the stock exchange.

Everyone shout at the top of their lungs, gesturing furiously to be heard/noticed. So you can get the up-to-date prices right away by watching the shouting and gesturing. Just don't ask to "why" the prices are moving this direction or that. GREAT for getting the latest news. Isn't meant for in-depth discussion. Horse for courses.

Facebook is the one I don't get.

There're conversations, but it's always shallow and short lived. Maybe it's the format? Since you can't have threads to segregate topics, it gets distracted easily. Like in a family/school reunion, the one who talks non-stop dominates the room.

Sponsor

Staff online