• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Twisted knee, I hope

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Was putting up fence Sat. and to finish a side I needed a strand of barbed wire about 30'. Did I mention that I hate barbed wire? It has its place where electric cant go, but I hate using it. Well this path took me over a short but wide pile of logs that I havent cut up since I did away with the OD woodburner. So I grab the reel and head over the top. I took a step and about 1/2 way through, the barbs caught on themselves. Did I mention I hate barbed wire? Pulled me off balance and I tossed the reel so I wouldnt eat it and the left leg went into a hole. I was headed left and down but twisted so I was going backwards. Didnt stop a POP from happening. Definitely MCL, inside of knee over the joint. I can walk on it and it seems solid. Didnt see any ball ups of tendon under the skin so I think that if its torn it is still attached.

Its all RICE and Alive for me for a day or two, and if that doesnt do anything, docs by Wed.

Hopefully it isnt gooned up, and if it is I should have time for repair and rehab before ski season.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Fingers crossed for you!

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
MRI on deck, hopefully by Fri.

Ortho seems to think its not MCL, but a meniscus tear. BTDT got the t shirt on the right one. So its sort of good news. I may have to get cut on, but no cadaver parts placed so I wont be joining the Z side during the zombie apocalypse. This one hurts, but its not as bad as the other one I tore so we will find out after the pics.

On the downside, I have been off the treadmill for 2 weeks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Fingers crossed for you - for whatever the best outcome might be.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Ok, got the MRI and finally got back with the ortho. Its a MCL sprain with tearing and a torn meniscus. Not being a fan of surgery, I opted for the "let the MCL heal and live with the meniscus" approach. It hurts some, and if it goes the way the rt one did, I will have it cut on, but until then, things should be OK.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did this with an mcl/acl and bone bruise/hairline fracture some years ago. After PT and one season hiking and skiing with a brace, all is as good as new. No pain. Ever.

Just to let you know there is hope.

Do the PT religiously. lots and lots of seated leg lifts and endless hours on the boring stationary bike. with a book. on tape if necessary.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Good luck!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the advice of my surgeon, I took a non-surgical approach to a skiing injury that left me with a full MCL tear, partial ACL tear and non-displaced tibial plateau fracture. Lot's of PT and icing over 6 months or so, but I was playing golf 5 months later, running 6 months later, and skiing 10 months later.

Ski season 1 after the injury was pretty good - my knee felt strong, but didn't quite feel 100%. Seasons 2, 3 and 4 after the injury were as if it had never happened. These days I have to think about it a little to remember which knee I hurt.