• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Transmission issue is stumping mechanics across CO

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The tire thing is familiar. At one point we had five vehicles, all with seasonal swaps. Then, over time, some of the tires were replaced and we didn't shed the old versions when that happened. The old Audi has three stacks (maybe four?) of associated tires in addition to the ones on it. Cannot wait to give all that to any new owner. The tire store will dispose of them for me at a buck a tire if I end up junking the car.

Yes, one set is from the old Saab we don't have anymore. And it's for 17" wheels instead of 16", like the new (old) Saab. Need to see how much tread is left and decide what to do with them.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks ... my son had been driving a manual 2004 Saab 9-3 for the past 5 years or so; it was stolen at Christmas, then recovered, but trashed to the point of being totaled. He really liked that car, so we were trying to find another. (He was driving the Land Cruiser in the meantime.) It's not easy finding a manual Saab, period, out here, much less one with less than 100K on it. They exist on the East Coast, but I wasn't really keen on going long distance for it.

Yeah, we have two. The older one (2005 Aero) may be for sale soon.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
how many miles?

108000. Mechanically it is great. Cosmetically it is very good. My concern is the future availability of parts. And I am still on the original clutch...

James

Out There
Instructor
My Audi at 170,000 is still on the original clutch. It means you know how to drive.
Yeah reminds me of letting my roomate drive my car when I was on crutches. Clutch was dead in one week.
Cabs would have been cheaper.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
@SBrown did you get this figured out? I searched on MUD and found your thread and as with other P0705 code threads, not a lot of clear resolution from other owners.

The one thing that stands out *if* the sensor is testing within spec (continuity/resistance) *and* there isn't contact corrosion is that it was wet both times you had the symptoms. There seems to be good correlation on various P0705 threads to poor windshield sealing (replacement windshield) causing water to pool in places that wreak havoc - you would want to check the driver and passenger foot wells for signs of moisture. Moonroof not draining properly can cause problems as well - just depends where the water ends up.

I'm currently chasing a no-idle problem in my 80. I've replaced the idle air control valve and throttle position sensor (both resistance tested to spec), PCV/VCV valves and hoses, ECT coolant temp gauge, fuel pump relay and resistor...and while it is running nice after replacing 22 year old parts, nada, and that's all the stuff the threads and FSM point to for this issue.

And it's not electrical gremlins, or at least I don't think unless it's the ECU, because I can get it to run perfectly by setting idle RPM with my aftermarket hand throttle. So if the PNP sensor resistance tested out I'm not sure I'd replace it before I ruled out the water gremlins issue. Now if the shop just "couldn't get it to fail", meaning couldn't replicate, that's not actually testing the sensor electronics health.

But sporadic stuff is usually a wiring issue - both water and heat (melted sheath issues) shorts show up like this...

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, that's kind of where I left off. It's the extra car now; that Saab showing up was fortuitous timing, so it isn't as urgent. I do need to work on it, though.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah, that's kind of where I left off. It's the extra car now; that Saab showing up was fortuitous timing, so it isn't as urgent. I do need to work on it, though.

Mine is fortunately an extra vehicle now, too - I have like 8 years of neglect to work through. I figure you could do the car wash test (the automatic ones) and see if that recreates the issue. That might mess with weather patterns, though.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January