• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado TR: 11th Annual Mother's Day at Arapahoe Basin

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe someone will have some there. I'm so torn between the two (rose and hi pink). Being a one goggle/one lense person I need to be sure it's not too dark for the normally cloudy days I ski here, or blinding when I get to ski somewhere that the sun shines.

Well if you were east I'd say hi pink. But lenses are too individualized. If you're coming to Abasin now you can try my Prizm Rose.
What I do here sometimes is use a light google lens like orange or prizm rose and have dark sunglasses for when it's bright in the jacket pocket. I have also used both for when it's super bright.
In Switzerland I went to the Przm rose just because the orange was too much light for my eyes initially. The przm rose does have an odd glowey effect though. When I went to Chamonix I switched to the Orange and dark sunglasses technique. I didn't want the distracting glowey look and wanted more light if things got bad in scary terrain.

Everyone's eyes are different though.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wish I were going to be there, but no such luck. Looking forward to seeing the pics, though.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Some people ski their whole lives and never have thunder or lightening while on the hill. Today makes two days in a row ABasin had to close for thunder. It sounded pretty close. Closer than yesterday, but I saw no flash.

IMG_2181.JPG
10:30 clouds and flurries. The three on that chair are on the Chinese freestyle team training moguls and air.

IMG_2182.JPG
@cgeib and @FairToMiddlin about a quarter to noon.

IMG_2184.JPG
FtM and fiancée.

IMG_2190.JPG
Blue sky at 12:15

IMG_2195.JPG
@jimmy on East Wall Traverse. Storm moving in, 2pm.

IMG_2193.JPG
Looking down from East Wall Traverse. Black Mountain Lodge at far left, The Professor is the large peak and snowfield to the left. There have been slides over the years that came into the base area or took out the road.

On a run to the base at about 2:30 thunder came in while snowing and that was it. Lifts closed.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The view from the aforementioned hike up Willie's Wide.

20170511_144626.jpg

Prior to climbing Willie's, I had hiked to North Pole for this 360* view.

20170511_134923_small.jpg

I arrived late (around 1) and skied Zuma one run looking for Pugs then on my way back to the front decided to hike. North Pole was a bit firm from being skied a lot but pleasant enough. As soon as I could, I worked my way left until I was in 2nd Notch where things improved. This inspired me to hike Willie's. The hike was a mess with steps that were too large and often mushed by careless hikers. The skiing was worth it.

Today's image of Willie's with my tracks to the right of the staircase. Frozen in time.

20170512_093610_crop.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Oops! A couple from yesterday. I had a lot of fun the last two days - some skiing, lots chilling at the beach. Although apparently I was more huddled at the beach today, based on the pics above.

Thanks to my crappy reception, apparently my friend Barry didn't get the email about the PugSki beach party until after I left (ie, when my reception kicked in again) ... but I'm sure he fit right in!

20170513_121502.jpg 20170513_135908.jpg IMG_0411.JPG

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Last day of Palli.

IMG_2238.JPG
@dean_spirito , @Tricia at the Beach spot.

IMG_2239.JPG
Up Palli lift 1pm, skiing over in there.

IMG_2240.JPG
Clouds and wind moved in. Snow up top got some crunch berries on some aspects.

From yesterday. Mikaela was there with mom and coach? Skiing on 188/30m, Redster170 boots. Impressive arcs. Not easy to keep up with.
IMG_2231.JPG
@Drahtguy Kevin. Mikaela in blue, mom in purple.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've endured a lot of crowds over the past few years at Arapahoe Basin on Mother's Day weekend, but this year was pretty mellow in comparison. That being said, WOW what a great week we've had.
I took a few photos, but not as many as I'd like.
Here are just a few.
Hanging out around the King Cornice
fullsizeoutput_4676.jpeg
@Drahtguy Kevin
fullsizeoutput_4678.jpeg
@James
IMG_5028.JPG
@Gaby

@Drahtguy Kevin and the waxed lips @MaryG brought.....I forgot how much fun such things could be.
IMG_3296.JPG

@SkiNurse manning the grill on Sunday
IMG_2281.JPG

And because we like to get pictures of people putting food in their mouth
IMG_3817.JPG IMG_4052.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 6

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Thanks to my crappy reception, apparently my friend Barry didn't get the email about the PugSki beach party until after I left (ie, when my reception kicked in again) ... but I'm sure he fit right in!

Barry skied with @Nancy Hummel and I for much of the afternoon. It was great to see him -- he is a real gem! And he met @Tricia and her "double B's" ...

Mike

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Barry skied with @Nancy Hummel and I for much of the afternoon. It was great to see him -- he is a real gem! And he met @Tricia and her "double B's" ...

Mike

Yes, he is a great guy. Love skiing with him. Now that I think about it, did you guys already know him?

Belately, I am looking, and I think for future A Basin ventures, I will buy a cheapo AT&T phone for < $50, set it up with a pre-paid plan (25c/minute + 20c/text), and forward phone calls and text from my Verizon phone. Honestly, given how much of a pain it's been, I think it's worth it.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've known Barry for the 6 years he has lived her. I also met him in the Breck lesson club, probably skiing with Matt or Bags. I also skied with him a fair bit at Copper several years ago before I started teaching at Breck.

Mike