• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Top 5....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sell-outs..?? :huh:

Not really, just unfortunate level of popularity.. kind of like when the resort adds a 2nd lift to the best powder day terrain. It's not the snow's fault hahahaha..

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Top 5 Concerts I attended:

Yes - Hollywood Bowl
Elton John - Dodger Stadium
Rick Derringer, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter - San Diego Sports Arena
Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton - San Diego Sports Arena
John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra - Urey Hall Gym, UCSD

Honorable Mention: The Outlaws - Urey Hall Gym, UCSD

Top 5 Ski Instructors I've skied with:

Wayne Wong
Mike Hafer
Kemp Dowdy
Sue Hedgecock
Phil & Steve Mahre (tied)

Top 5 Car Rides:

My 1967 Porsche 911S, Riverside International Raceway (drove)
Audi Sport 90 Quattro, Laguna Seca (rode)
Ferrari 250 GT California, Virginia City Hillclimb (rode)
Renault R5 Turbo 2, Riverside International Raceway (rode)
AC 427 Cobra GT/LM, Virginia City Hillclimb (rode, and damn near scared the crap out of me!)

Favorite Guitar Players:

Carlos Santana
Joe Satriani
Jeff Beck
Johnny Winter
Steve Vai

Last edited:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Top 5 cars I always wanted to drive:

Lotus Europa
Dino 246GTS
Lamborghini Miura SV
Ferrari 250 GTO "Breadvan"
Toyota 2000 GT

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Top 5 vehicles that I really want to own...but I know I never will :(:
5: Shrike Commander
4: mid-60s Pontiac GTO convertible
3: Norton Commando 850
2: Land Rover Defender 110
1: 1963 Corvette Stingray

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Top 5 Concerts? Ugh, been to soooo many..

Rush Moving Pictures Tour Met Center MN (2 nights back to back), also saw Signals tour..
The Who first farewell tour 83 St Paul Civic Ctr, also went to the 89 farewell tour @Giant Stadium Meadowlands
The Police Ghost in the Machine with The Go Gos.. Met Center MN also saw Synchronicity tour in OKC
Kansas... The Ritz in Tulsa, played in the round, could walk right across the stage behind the drums, Walsh did the handstands..
Aldo Nova, Dokken, Blue Oyster Cult. OKC Myriad Ctr.

Honorable mention, Grateful Dead @ The Zoo Amphitheater OKC 1985. Got there early and hung out all day with the hard core deadheads. Seemed like everyone I knew was at that concert..

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Here's a link to the car in which I was given a ride at the Virginia City hillclimb, mid-80s. Note the lack of windscreen on the passenger's side. They screwed up in the Mecum page, though, the owner/driver was Art Foley (not Tom). If you've ever been on the truck route from Carson City to Virginia City, you might remember a straight section of road about 2/3 of the way up. I looked over and the speedo said 160. While we were coasting back down through the residential area I asked Art if we were really doing 160, he chuckled and said that the speedo was a bit off and we were probably only going about 155. With no guardrails. :eek:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0509-79211/1966-shelby-cobra-427/

The '59 250GT California Spyder (the real deal of the Ferris Bueller car) was amazing. As I was walking back to the pits after my ride while the owner/driver headed into Carson City to refuel, a woman walked up to me and asked if I had just gotten a ride in Mike Cotsworth's Spyder. I said yes, and asked her how she knew? Her reply was classic: "Because everybody that goes for a ride in that car comes back with the biggest smile on their face!" :D

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Top 5 bands I wish I had gotten to see, would see if I had a time machine:
  1. Led Zeppelin (any before JB died)
  2. Pink Floyd The Wall Tour (really anything before they broke up...)
  3. Jimi Hendrix (any)
  4. Van Halen 1984, still kicking myself because I could have easily gone to this one..
  5. The Beatles (any)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
  1. Led Zeppelin (any before JB died)
  2. Pink Floyd The Wall Tour (really anything before they broke up...)
  3. Jimi Hendrix (any)
  4. Van Halen 1984, still kicking myself because I could have easily gone to this one..
  5. The Beatles (any)
I didn't see Zep but I did see Plant & Page in the mid 90's. Just to hear them play Kashmir was worth it.

I had a chance to see the Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" show, kicking myself for that one.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't see Zep but I did see Plant & Page in the mid 90's. Just to hear them play Kashmir was worth it.

I had a chance to see the Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" show, kicking myself for that one.
Talking Heads used to occasionally play at a small club in Ithaca, NY when I was in school -- never went, stupid me. Did catch them on the "Speaking in Tongues" tour tho

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Saw Gilmour in 84 at Jones Beach. Was a great show, didn't most of the Floyd songs.

Had a friend in town visiting me in Dallas

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Saw Gilmour in 84 at Jones Beach. Was a great show, didn't most of the Floyd songs.

Had a friend in town visiting me in 89. Went to Deep Ellum and hit a random club on Elm Street. Paid a $5 cover for a fundraiser and secret band playing. It was Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians! Tiny club, sat next to her mom at the bar right next to the little stage.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
  1. Van Halen 1984, still kicking myself because I could have easily gone to this one..
Saw this one in Indianapolis. First ever concert my parents let me go to (with my big brother). Awesome concert. Sat far enough away as to not be grossed out by David Lee Roth's pants.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Talking Heads used to occasionally play at a small club in Ithaca, NY when I was in school -- never went, stupid me. Did catch them on the "Speaking in Tongues" tour tho
Small venues:

Walked blindly into a club in Huntington Beach in 92. Scary crowd. Amazing punk band. Went back to Chicago and six weeks later I heard a strangely familiar song on the radio. I had already forgotten the name of the band, but Noodles interjecting "You gotta keep em separated" into Dexter's jam brought back all of those memories of The Offspring.

While in Chicago, I came to know slightly a guy who graduated from the same master's program a few years ahead of me. He played in a modestly successful blues rock band called Howard and the White Boys. I would go see them every chance I got-great bar band. Eventually, Buddy Guy took a liking to them and they started playing at his Legends bar. A longer trip from my Lincoln Park apartment, but well worth it. Especially the night that Buddy wandered out onto stage in the middle of their set to play with them. Maybe three songs, grinning ear to ear. Then he vanished. Bucko (the drummer I knew) said he did that a few times, but that was the only one I caught.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Binghamton show? Thats the one I turned down tickets to.
Cape Cod. Tina Weymouth's family were sitting a few rows in front of us -- all dressed like RI prep school with the rest of us in dirt bag clothes.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I could post a couple hundred "favorite" ski photos I have taken, but here are five that I was able to quickly find and post here.

My son at Mt. Bachelor, OR (backside):

MDskier at Aspen Highlands, CO (Olympic Bowl area):
LL

Photo of myself taken by my son at Loveland, CO (Zip Basin):
LL

Believe lady in the center of this pic went by internet user name of Hot Chocolate. She might have been a ski diva. This is from 2010 at what I consider my first and true home mountain - Blue Knob, PA (Extrovert trail):

This photo is from about 15 years ago when my two youngest kids were still pretty little. This is at Wisp, MD on a super gorgeous day. The photo doesn't do it justice. The trees were coated in a fresh layer of sparkling ice followed by a few inches of snow and trail surfaces were good.
800x600px-LL-IMG00002.jpg

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Top 5 Tour de France climbs:

5. Col du Tourmalet
4. Col de la Croix Fer
3. Col du Galibier
2. Alpe d'Huez
1. Mont Ventoux

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I could post a couple hundred "favorite" ski photos I have taken, but here are five that I was able to quickly find and post here.

My son at Mt. Bachelor, OR (backside):

MDskier at Aspen Highlands, CO (Olympic Bowl area):
LL

Photo of myself taken by my son at Loveland, CO (Zip Basin):
LL

Believe lady in the center of this pic went by internet user name of Hot Chocolate. She might have been a ski diva. This is from 2010 at what I consider my first and true home mountain - Blue Knob, PA (Extrovert trail):

This photo is from about 15 years ago when my two youngest kids were still pretty little. This is at Wisp, MD on a super gorgeous day. The photo doesn't do it justice. The trees were coated in a fresh layer of sparkling ice followed by a few inches of snow and trail surfaces were good.
800x600px-LL-IMG00002.jpg
Stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsor

Staff online