• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tomorrow

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
"The best way to learn, is to teach"
This sentence has been repeated so many times in the past and, to say the truth, I have put it into practice already becoming an inline skating L1 instructor.
But tomorrow I will go one step further, tomorrow I'll leave for Austria to attend an L1 ski instructor clinic.
This will be a multi year long journey down the knowledge path, with at the end of the road the full cert L3, eurotest and eurosecurite'.
Wish me luck.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
What organization is running your L1 program? Is it the Italians? I know PSIA does stuff in Austria this time of year too.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
What organization is running your L1 program? Is it the Italians? I know PSIA does stuff in Austria this time of year too.
I wish I had known about PSIA in Austria earlier. Out of curiosity, can you point me to more info on that, please?
To answer your question, the org running the L1 clinic I will attend is Slovenian.
The multi level path is more manageable for someone like me who already works and can split the activity exploiting the available yearly vacation time.
AMSI-Italy, differently than nearly every other org, hasn't a multi level qualification program and run programs only in Italy, each regional council runs the program indipendently but the qualified are enabled to instruct every where in Italy . Rather, there is a three days initial "access test" phase where the would-be instructors will be checked for their skiing skills. Topping the three days is a giant slalom test run which could be timed (in which case is already valid for the eurotest) or not.
If one qualifies, and the pass criteria are quite stringent, believe me, then there begins the course itself, which takes about
90 days, divided in clinics or "modules", theory (ski technique, how to teach what, MA and so on) and on the field practice (on piste skiing, freeride, "new school" aka "park skiing") also, the candidates will assist instructors while teaching for a period of time.
If the giant slalom race was not timed at the beginning, roughly mid-course the candidates will need to pass the eurotest.
At the end there will be the final exam.
If candidates pass that, then they can instruct.
After graduation as ski instructor, additional specific clinics can be taken, like qualification o teach the children, but as it goes, after the program and passing the final exam, candidates are already full cert.
Alto-Adige/SuedTirol province being the exception, where two qualification levels are present, "ski instructor assistant" and "ski instructor".

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I just used the Google machine to find this as an example - http://eventerbee.com/event/psia-level-2-training-and-exam,1514713998853327 Not sure if that is current, it doesn't say what year! Could be last year's course for all I know. I sent an e-mail to a friend who has flown over and run courses there, I think in Austria and also in Garmisch, the clinics and exams are accredited through PSIA Eastern Division. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
I just used the Google machine to find this as an example - http://eventerbee.com/event/psia-level-2-training-and-exam,1514713998853327 Not sure if that is current, it doesn't say what year! Could be last year's course for all I know. I sent an e-mail to a friend who has flown over and run courses there, I think in Austria and also in Garmisch, the clinics and exams are accredited through PSIA Eastern Division. I'll let you know when I hear back from him.
Thanks!

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Austria is logistically closer to me than Andorra...
And Kaprun, Kitzsteinhorn glacier is where I am headed to.
I found info, now that you gave me an headsup, about a PSIA L1 clinic held in April 2016, again, in Kaprun. So it looks a popular choice where to run sich clinics. Interesting!

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Nobody, the guys are flying out today. They are doing an event in Stubai. I guess it is organized by Ski Academy Switzerland, James Wilkinson would be the contact there.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
As an aside, what language does a Slovenian use when teaching an Italian in Austria? English?

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Italian!
Many Slovenian speak very good Italian.
And since the two countries share borders, I am told that quite a few Slovenian instructors teach, working for Italian ski schools, in Italy.

Sponsor

Staff online