• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

To Whom It May Concern... shout outs to strangers, recent interactions

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Starting a thread to gripe at or give props to strangers that somehow directly or indirectly impacted your ski day/trip for better or worse..

Here's a :poo:to the folks at the Holiday Inn Express that bogarted the luggage carts all morning. After he finished getting ready ahead of everyone else my 13 year old asked if he could go get a cart for our bags. I said we should wait until we are ALL finished packing so as not to keep the cart out of service sitting in our room while still getting ready and still packing our bags. 15 minutes later after tween girl finished getting ready and cramming her bag closed I told him he could go ahead and get a cart now. Tween girl went down to breakfast while I was doing the room check for chargers and stuff left all around. He still hadn't come back with a cart so I went down with a load of gear to see him sitting a bench bu the desk waiting for an available cart. He had already eaten. I decided to eat and told him to grab one when whoever has it brings it back. Finished eating, went back to the room to grab another load of bags. Loaded those and still no carts. After bringing the last load, heaviest, boot bags.. putting them in the car my kid was still waiting. We grabbed a second round of breakfast for the road to finally see a man bringing down a loaded luggage cart... same man we saw eating breakfast downstairs while the carts were not in sight. Looks like you took the cart and stashed it in your room before you were anywhere near (like 30 minutes) ready to use it.

The guy that pointed out that your left rear tire was almost flat while you loaded up your bags... that was me:0

No, I didn't sabotage his tire but I did take pleasure letting him know that his trip up the mountain was going to be delayed..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This was a couple of months ago. I was skiing solo over lunch, just a few quick runs through the bumps. I rode up the lift with a woman. I told her that I knew retraction turns were supposed to help in the bumps, but no matter how many times people explained them and demo'd them, I couldn't figure them out. She thought for a moment, then described a particular roller on a fast blue groomer, with big "No Jumping!" signs. "You know what you do to keep yourself from catching air? That's what it feels like to do a retraction turn." I was immediately able to go back to the bumps and make it happen.

I'm betting she was a ski instructor in civvies. Thanks, stranger lady!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Props to all the people who drive sensibly and politely in and around ski resorts. A big FU to the dick in the black Range Rover who decided that normal stop sign priority need not apply to him at the 3 way stop at Northstar because he'd been dropping off his party. His car was still in the parking lot when I got back - I was so tempted to write something appropriate in the dust on the driver's door.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To the ticket checker at Mt. Rose: I know your posse is out skiing, but to stop them and talk about there day when no one can get past them doesn't make a great guest experience for everyone else.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
To the Australian tourists: I know we speak the same language (supposedly), but I had no idea what you were saying. I hope it wasn't important.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
To the 2 women standing in front of the gates to get on the chairlift waiting for their group. YOUR WAITING IN THE WRONG PLACE.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Dear carpool mom in the midnight blue Honda Odyssey ripping wheels through my neighborhood because Junior was about to be late again . . . yeah, you with the phone tucked between your ear and shoulder and the piping hot skinny latte from Starbucks - if I pulled that crap in your neighborhood around your kids and dogs you'd probably call the cops, so the fact that I hucked my dog's rotten, muddy tennis ball at your car is really not that big of a deal.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To all the ski patrollers who dig out lift pole pads on a powder day, answer questions, get out before dawn in the cold, keep us safe and respond when we are not. THANK YOU!

I and my family have had occasion to use their services a couple of times. Always professional and kind. Whenever I ride up with a patroller, or am able to if they aren't busy, I always say "thank you for the work you do for us." It is usually unexpected and appreciated.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To the young lady who just walked in local eatery wearing black skin tight spandex, while reading this. Thank you

To the ski patrol person at Elk Mountain
Yeh I was looking for fossils

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
To the 2 women standing in front of the gates to get on the chairlift waiting for their group. YOUR WAITING IN THE WRONG PLACE.

And to the guy and his friend waiting for FOUR OTHER PEOPLE and holding up the entire maze at a 6-person chair, and who got offended when I called him out for making 30+ people wait, GET A FRICKIN' CLUE YA MAROON!!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A shout out to Morgan in Steamboat Springs Special Tickets. She did an awesome job taking care of me, although she was real busy, she made us feel very special with her great wit and thanks to @tam for scheduling a snowday.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
To the women with the white Volvo CX, Sunday night at the Petro Canada, St. Jovite....Next time, pay at the pump, move your Volvo, then go get your groceries and 2 cases of beer at the Depanneur. I love waiting 10 min to get to a pump. NOT...

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Three weeks ago, I headed out of the lodge to ski and executed a klutz move that ended my ski day before it started ... with a sprained wrist.

Back in the lodge, I emptied the locker and, since it had not actually been used by a skier that day, decided to give it to someone else. First opportunity was a young guy, 30-ish. He offered, in thanks, Advil. Fair trade.

Later, he went to the locker and couldn't open it - had recorded the code incorrectly. I was waiting for the shuttle, saw the situation, and helped him. It left us smiling and laughing about our symbiotic relationship. His parting words were "This has been FUN!"

It was just a small, random interaction between strangers but made the day better for both of us.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we were humored on the gondola yesterday (@4ster was a witness) by a lady, in her 60's maybe, when we were discussing different skis for different conditions; any skilled skier can ski any ski in any condition, all that stuff. Then, some metaphors started flying, and hers was, "it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean!"
Um. Um. Um. (DYING inside!) Perhaps not quite the metaphor to describe it, or, perhaps the perfect one?? What made it extra funny is that I don't think she really realized what she was saying. Or, if she did, she was REALLY astute at keeping a straight, innocent face.

(Said ala Jimmy Fallon): "Thank you, random lady on the gondola, for innocently saying inappropriate things!"

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting a thread to gripe at or give props to strangers that somehow directly or indirectly impacted your ski day/trip for better or worse..

Here's a :poo:to the folks at the Holiday Inn Express that bogarted the luggage carts all morning. After he finished getting ready ahead of everyone else my 13 year old asked if he could go get a cart for our bags. I said we should wait until we are ALL finished packing so as not to keep the cart out of service sitting in our room while still getting ready and still packing our bags. 15 minutes later after tween girl finished getting ready and cramming her bag closed I told him he could go ahead and get a cart now. Tween girl went down to breakfast while I was doing the room check for chargers and stuff left all around. He still hadn't come back with a cart so I went down with a load of gear to see him sitting a bench bu the desk waiting for an available cart. He had already eaten. I decided to eat and told him to grab one when whoever has it brings it back. Finished eating, went back to the room to grab another load of bags. Loaded those and still no carts. After bringing the last load, heaviest, boot bags.. putting them in the car my kid was still waiting. We grabbed a second round of breakfast for the road to finally see a man bringing down a loaded luggage cart... same man we saw eating breakfast downstairs while the carts were not in sight. Looks like you took the cart and stashed it in your room before you were anywhere near (like 30 minutes) ready to use it.

The guy that pointed out that your left rear tire was almost flat while you loaded up your bags... that was me:0

No, I didn't sabotage his tire but I did take pleasure letting him know that his trip up the mountain was going to be delayed..

"Bogarted" - now there is a term you don't hear any more!

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
To the old guy in the orange Killy fartbag who squirted in front of me to get first chair in Breckenridge last week -
:poo:

There were 5 of us in the front of the line waiting for the 6 person chair to open. Orange fartbag guy pushed his way to the front and asked if he could join us and we said sure. The lift attendant dropped the rope for the lift to open - the chair was just rounding the corner in front of us so we were waiting for the next one so we could safely load. Only thing fartbag had to
squirt in there to be the first one up (he barely made it on) I noticed the same guy other days and he did the same thing.

Would be ironic if he were a member here!

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To the old bag bigot that I saw wearing this shirt at the store earlier today... "Yes it is. It's totally over.."

a2643f6354fea850e014008d9b1a31f8.jpg

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Thank you, hungover teenage soccer ref for 9 year olds who probably wished you were anywhere other than the field this morning, what with throwing up and halftime and looking green all game. Been there myself, and it sucks hard. Still, you ref'ed and good game and handled appropriately that jackass dad on the sidelines who screamed "offsides" every 90 seconds and otherwise heckled you for no reason. You probably can't tell your parents how deep you had to dig to make it to the final whistle, but I noticed, and I'm proud of you.