• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tires!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I am pretty sure I am ordering the YEti SB5 this week and thinking about tires. The LBS will put any tire on I want (very cool). Tire clearance is not an issue on front or back For Colorado trails, I have always run the NN's but after demoing a few different bikes with Maxxis, I am thinking I may try a set. the 2.6 has some pretty large knobs BTW. I keep looking at the Rekon 2.6 but wonder if it sets up a only 2,4 on 35's. WTB makes a Breakout 2.5 (which measures a true 2.5) but weighs 1120!!!!

I dont think I want to go full on 2.6 but a true 2.5+/- would be perfect. Since there are only a couple true 2.5's out there that I know of, I was wondering what options are there. I will be running these on 35 iD wheels.

Suggestions? Anything coming out that I should just wait for?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bonty XR4 front and XR3 rear. 2.4 for both. Best combination of fairly fast with good grip that I know of, and I've tried most.

But really, @Ron, just about anything you choose will be an improvement over the Nobby Nics (including Rocket Rons, Racing Ralphs, Hans Dampfs and Magic Marys, if you want to keep it in the Schwalbe family). Aren't they releasing a big 2.8 or 2.6 Rocket Ron? Your namesake tire! How could you say no?!

Reactions: Ron

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. so you are saying you really love Schwalbes? :huh::beercheer:

I've at least liked every Schwalbe tire I've ridden, except those Nobby Nics. They exhibit amazing combination of kinda slow with kinda so-so traction AND poor "feel" at the limit -- though it's been a few seasons since I tried them, and things may have changed.

Rocket Rons are a very good tire. Up front, they are a little "knifey" in sand, especially for a bigger guy, but really good in every other regard.

Racing Ralphs are the only rear tire I use in actual endurance races, because they are fast, light and tough. Not the plushest ride, but they've never let me down, and we all know the old saying "to finish first, you must first finish"!

But with the usual disclaimer as a Trek Guy, I was very surprised a few years back when I started riding them to find that I absolutely LOVED the XR2/XR3/XR4 line of tires. They have really good feel at the limit, which I do not find on square-edge profile tires. Also, there is no risk for anybody to try them, because Bonty has a no-questions 30-day money back thing, regardless of how worn the tires are.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
LOLOLOL FWIW, both the NN and the RR have changed. the 2.6 NN is actually pretty aggressive now with some pretty large lugs. That said, I am going to give the rekons a shot F/R 2.8's.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've never liked the Nobby Nic either. Treads were too tall and squirmy. Actually turned me off to Schwalbe all together though I know that Magic Mary's kill it.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I did like the feel of the maxxis's during demo's and especially on the SB5.5 and SB5 which had DHF's out front. I will give these a shot and see how it goes. I just went with the same f/r a I dont think I'm losing anything with the rekon. Reading comments on MTBR, they are well-liked for CO riding conditions.

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Tom K. for rear tire, try Conti Race king, but take care it's black chili compound (Protection or RaceSport). I'm using Protection as it's a bit more durable (and few grams heavier then RaceSport), and most importantly, it hardly needs sealant to use it tubeless. I loved Racing Ralph for rear tire, but Race king is simply a whole lot faster, it lasts longer, it's less prone to puncture and surprisingly it has better grip even when it's a bit wet. On the other side Conti X-king for front is total crap. Rocket Ron is light years better for front, but I guess I will need to use X-king that came with my new bike this year. But next year I'm back with Rocket Ron on front :)
Race king is more knobby but rolls in about range of Schwalbe's Thunder Burt... tire which I would really love if it would last me more then week. But after destroying 3 tires in less then 14 days (without riding some extreme terrain, but normal forest and gravel trails without rocks or even roots), it's just no way for me to keep with them. Maybe if I would be 40kg with bike included, tire would be great, but with my 75kg I'm obviously not the rider for this tire.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz, I'm guessing your bad Racing Ralph and Thunder Burt experiences are not with the Snakeskin versions?

I'm glad to pay the slight weight penalty for the Snakeskin casing. Too many friends chasing lightness have been burned by flats!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm at the max tire size my bike tray tire straps can handle right now. It's a struggle to get then secured in the tray.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm at the max tire size my bike tray tire straps can handle right now. It's a struggle to get then secured in the tray.

The tray on my hitch rack was a surprise with the 2.8s. Not a struggle, but like "uhhh ... is this really in enough?"

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
1st impression after one ride on a new Hans Dampf 2.35 up front: this is the trail tire I've been looking for!

2.2 trail king in back. Not light, but burly as f***

DHF IMO not as grippy, rolls faster, wears faster.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Tom K. I guess there was some misunderstanding. I have absolutely no bad experience with Racing Ralph. It was my favorite rear tire until I found out Conti Race King (and I like Race King only because it rolls faster nothing else), and it was even my favorite front tire until they started to produce Rocket Ron :) Until year or two ago, I have been riding non-snakeskin Rocket Ron, but it's so much hassle to turn latest Liteskin version into tubeless, so I'm running Snakeskin lately. Other then bunch of problems first time I put them on to convert them into tubeless, I had no other issues with Liteskin versions of Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph.
But for Thunder Burt, I have tried everything, Liteskin, Snakeskin, Raceguard, and nothing worked for me. Every tire was gone in few rides with cut anywhere you wish... on thread, on side... I mean it's really great tire, super fast rolling, with unbelievable good grip for those little knobs, but it's just not durable enough for me, unfortunately.

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
1st impression after one ride on a new Hans Dampf 2.35 up front: this is the trail tire I've been looking for!

2.2 trail king in back. Not light, but burly as f***

DHF IMO not as grippy, rolls faster, wears faster.
Make that 2.3 DHR in back. I destroyed its match 2 years ago on like ride #3, but liked it as a rear tire. Maybe a little smoother than the conti, if not as durable. Might as well burn through some of the old inventory anyway...

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maxxis High Roller 2 on the front and Maxxis Ardent on the rear is my favorite combo now. I previously ran the Bontrager XR3 Team Issue front and back but I prefer the Maxxis due to better grip while corning on loose dirt.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
so, i ended up deciding to forego some weight for traction (as @Josh Matta commented) and just decided to run DHF 2,6wt's up front and Rekon 2.6wt rear. i really liked the DHF 2.5 when i demoed the SB5.5 and the new 2.6 should be just perfect.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
so, i ended up deciding to forego some weight for traction (as @Josh Matta commented) and just decided to run DHF 2,6wt's up front and Rekon 2.6wt rear. i really liked the DHF 2.5 when i demoed the SB5.5 and the new 2.6 should be just perfect.

Remind me of the original plan that was replaced with these?

Sponsor

Staff online