• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Living in the 80s isn't all about neon and Miami Vice. The 80-90mm category is going to be one of the most contested segments going into the 2016-2017 buying season. There is a ski here for everyone. You want something pure hard snow? It is here. You want something that is more off-piste oriented? You have a half dozen choices. Premium options are well represented. Here are some quick thumbnails of the major offerings coming up.

"All New" means the ski is an all-new design and construction. "NGT" refers to New Graphics Technology, ie, only the graphics have changed. "New Construction" means the ski has the same name and similar graphics but an updated construction or shape. "Carrover" means it is exactly the same.

All-Mountain Hard-Snow (Lower 80-90mm) Skis

Atomic Vantage X 80cti
Dimensions: 125-80-110
Radius: 15.2m@173cm
Size tested: 180
Design: All New
Vantage X 83cti
Dimensions: 125-83-111
Radius: 16m@175cm
Size tested: 175

Atomic has brought the immediately successful Vantage shape and construction down to the highly contested frontside-biased all-mountain category; IMHO it wasn’t a moment too soon. Every manufacturer is trying to get a foothold here, and Atomic is no different. Everything in the design is indeed all new for them in the application…even the binding system. The power of Warden-derived binding was felt immediately when the Vantages were put up onto edge. The two words that came to mind when I skied both of these skis were "confidence" and "predictability," and I cannot think of two better attributes that a ski can convey than that.
  • Who is it for? "Set it and forget it" skiers, those who click in and go and don't worry about how the ski will react. Teutonic solid.
  • Who is it not for? People who think too much.
  • Insider tip: Sizing is perfect; you can ski either of two sizes, depending if you want a short turn or long turn. Ski will neither wimp out if sized down or beat you silly if sized up.
full

Blizzard Quattro 8.4 and RX

Dimensions: 129-84-113
Radius: 16m@174cm
Size tested: 174

See my review of the 7.2 and RS and just substitute "Magnum" for "Supersonic."

Head Monster 83
Dimensions: 125-83-110
Radius: 18m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Design: NGT
Head Monster 88
Dimensions: 133-88-114
Radius: 17.4m@177cm

Heads Monsters are the reference skis for the 80-90mm hard snow category. The new Monster series is just silly smooth money. Head nailed the shape of these skis; put the pedal to the metal and fly.
  • Who are they for? Would you appreciate the most versatile ski that Head has ever built? Then, you.
  • Who are they not for? The Monsters want -- err, need -- to be skied; no poseurs allowed.
  • Insider tip: New graphics are so much richer looking ... not that it matters.

full

Kästle MX84

Dimensions: 128-84-112
Radius: 16.3m@176cm
Size tested: 176
Kästle MX89
Dimensions: 129-89-113
Radius: 18m@180cm

Oh my. Oh my, oh my, oh my. The outgoing MX was one of the oldest skis on the market: the 88 was introduced in about 2006, so it was more than 10 years old, and the 83 was born about 3 years ago. They were dinosaurs but still fantastic instruments. What's new besides adding 1mm to the waist? I can get into Hollowtech 2.0 and construction, but it is the shape that makes the new MXs even more special-er.
  • Who are they for? All Kästle-philes, time to sell your 83s and 88s and put in your orders for the new model.
  • Who are they not for? If you haven’t gotten it by now, you never will.
  • Insider tip: Kästle fixed what wasn’t broken -- a tough thing to do.
full

Nordica GT80Ti Evo

Dimensions: 130-80-110
Radius: 15.5m@174cm
Nordica GT84Ti Evo
Dimensions: 134-84-114
Radius: 15.5m@174cm

Gone is the the FireArrow. Yes, you may mourn. Are you done mourning? OK, good. Now let’s drink to the arrival of the new GT collection. Yes, the FA84 EDT was amazing; it had a top end that rivaled some race skis, but at the cost of versatility. The new GTs have the versatility that the FA EDT chose to bitch-slap in public and has embraced it at the cost only of that Nth-degree power, and that was a wise decision. Nordica brought over the Titanium Torsion Bridge from the NRGy series and doubled it ... doubled it. Nordica also nailed it with the the shape: both the 80 and the 84 carve a beautiful round turn that can be worked shorter or longer depending on conditions, terrain, or even mood.
  • Who is it for? Technically strong skiers.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter finesse skiers might get taken for a ride if they aren't quite ready.
  • Insider tip: Shortest sizes are scaled down.

Rossignol Experience 88 HD
Dimensions: 135-88-124
Radius: 17m@180cm
Design: New Construction

In the words of the immortal Jimi H…Are You Experienced? In bringing back the Experience 88 with an updated construction to go with its proven shape. Rossignol accomplished what it set out to do: make the E88 a better ski. It is smoother on the groomers and, with the addition of the HD construction, it has more horsepower.
  • Who is it for? Groomer zoomers. The E88 with its aggressive shape loves to be up on edge.
  • Who is it not for? Skiers who spend more time off piste.
  • Insider tip: Lay it over and rip, but stay out of the trees.
full

Völkl RTM 84 UVO

Dimensions: 131-84-112
Radius: 16.8m@172cm
Sizes tested: 172, 177

Yes, I have been critical of Völkl’s hard-snow skis for the past couple of generations. The AC50 was too stiff and uncompromising, the (original) RTM 84 was unresponsive with its zero-camber design. The new RTM, though, wow, just WOW. It has the strength of the AC but it's not muscle-bound; it has the ease of the old RTM but it's not milquetoast. It is the best of both generations -- and then some. Nailed it.
  • Who is it for? It is a precision frontside ski that will do what you ask.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who thinks no ski should be under 100mm underfoot. Fools.
  • Insider tip: Could this be the best ski Völkl ever made? Don’t be afraid to try the next size down, it's so stable.

Carryover skis that I didn’t get on were the Dynastar PowerTrack 84 (NGT) and Head Power Instinct (NGT).

All-Mountain Mixed-Snow (Upper 80-90mm) Skis

Armada 89Ti
Dimensions: 130-88-120
Radius: 17.5m@179cm
Size tested: 179

This is a return ski from last year and my reference ski for testing the snow at Copper. Armada is just making a fun ski; the 89Ti was one of the more playful skis I tested in this category and should be on anyone's radar. I do think Armada’s graphics for this season are some of their best.
  • Who are they for? The young at heart.
  • Who are they not for? Stodgy skiers who still think Armada just makes park skis.
  • Insider tip: Still one of the best values in the 87-90mm category.

Blizzard Brahma
Dimensions: 125-88-110
Radius: 19m@180cm

Last year Blizzard went on a carbon kick, adding it to the extremities of the Bonafide, Cochise, and Bodacious, so we knew it would only be time before they added it to the Brahma -- and I think the Brahma is the one that has benefited the most. Since the Brahma spends more time on the groomers than the other three, the dampness of the carbon makes it even better.
  • Who is it for? Bigger, stronger skiers will still get the most of of this bull of a ski.
  • Who is it not for? Like its name, the Brahma can and will buck you off. Get ready for the ride of your life.
  • Insider tip: Brahma skis true to length, you do not have to size up.

Kästle FX85 HP
Dimensions: 119-85-108
Radius: 19m@181cm
Size tested: 181
Design: Carryover

Is the new FX a better FX? For some, yes. It is a bit more off-piste oriented than the old model -- Kästle turned a Cayman into a Macan. Personally, I prefer a bit more tip action on a ski, but most of our test team is in love with it, so much that they spent their own hard-earned money to buy this ski -- tough to argue with that.
  • Who is it for? A great ski for those who like to vary turn shape in mixed conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Someone looking for Nth-degree hard-snow feel and precision.
  • Insider tip: The non-HP is no less of a ski, just a different, more playful one.

Line Supernatural 86
Dimensions: 125-86-112
Radius: 17.8m@179cm
Size tested: 179

Like many of the youth-oriented brands, Line realizes that its demographics are maturing and not always in the park, so it is building some quite good all-mountain skis. The new Supernatural 86 is a nice playful ski for a skier's first endeavor onto the cord.
  • Who is it for? A Line for not only the young, but the young at heart.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger skiers can overpower it.
  • Insider tip: See the wood in the graphics? Well, this frontside ski is just at home in the trees as it is in on the groomers.
full

K2 Pinnacle 88

Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius: 15m@184cm
Sizes tested: 177, 184

K2 brings the newer Pinnacle design down to the current hot segment: the soft-snow-biased, upper-80mm category. This category is highly contested, and there are some great options here. The Pinnacle is on the playful end of the spectrum and is great in the bumps and trees
  • Who is it for? Lighter finesse skiers.
  • Who is it not for? Hard chargers, there is a speed limit.
  • Insider tip: Like the other Pinnacles, it does ski short, but you don’t have to size up. Try both sizes.

Nordica NRGy85

Dimensions: 121-85-105
Sidecut: 19.5m@177cm

The NRGy collection for Nordica has been polarizing: skiers either love them or just can't figure them out. I am in the former camp, I really like this collection for its ease. The new NRGy85 splits the difference between the 80 and 90 and is the best of both skis, possessing the playfulness of the narrower 80 and the float of the 90, with none of the shortcomings.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who ski forward; they respond best to pressuring the tongue of the boot.
  • Who is it not for? Tail sliders; if you ski neutral or back on the ski, there are better choices.
  • Insider tip: Bypass the 80 and 90 and just go here.
Stöckli Stormrider 88
Dimensions: 127/88/113
Radius: 18m@177cm

Stöckli revised the SR88 for this season with a new balsa wood construction and by lightening the ski up it actually made it better without loosing the smoothness we have come to expect from the 88. Everytime I get on the Stormrider, I am always impressed by just how smooth they are and refined. Where the Kästles are Porsches, Stocklis ski more like Mercedes
  • Who is it for? Discriminating skiers, these just ooze refinement
  • Who is it not for? The uncouth. Skiers who drink their beer from 40oz'ers out of paper bags.
  • Insider tip: For the same feel but narrower, look to the SR83

Völkl Kendo
Dimensions: 127-90-110
Radius: 20.8m@177cm

Review from last season: It’s about time. The outgoing Kendo was long in the tooth and overdue for a replacement -- no, I was not a fan. The new one is good, really good. Völkl is offering some exceptional new skis for 2016, and this is one of them. The new Kendo has a much more balanced flex and reacts so much better to subtleties in input than the old model ever could.
  • Who is it for? For the Kendo aficionado who wants to spend more time off piste.
  • Who is it not for? People are going to think this is just another Kendo; it’s not, it’s better.
  • Insider tip: If you have waited for your Kendo, stop waiting, now is the time to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Is the Stockli Stormrider 88 changing at all for next year?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is the Stockli Stormrider 88 changing at all for next year?
NGT predominantly white/some grey patterning, medium blue and orange graphics. It's also lighter, '17 SR88 177cm is 3110g/pair vs the '15/16 177cm 1840g/ski. Anything more, you'll have to wait to hear from PP.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my ski buds is on MX--88-s when not on race skis and he really rocks them in everything. He's unhappy they're discontiinuing them, complains about it every time I see him, although he is Aussie, and is about to buy a few extra pair.

I wouldn't be able to convince him to not although do you have thoughts on whether the 88-s will be around through at least part of next season?

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
@Philpug, excellent synopsis! I'm trying to read between the lines here.......how does the Head M88 stack up against the newish Rossi E88? Sounds like both are groomer-oriented all mountain sticks for someone with skills. Is one vs other better suited to body weight, or tactical approach, or mountain conditions?

Would appreciate your insight, thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, excellent synopsis! I'm trying to read between the lines here.......how does the Head M88 stack up against the newish Rossi E88? Sounds like both are groomer-oriented all mountain sticks for someone with skills. Would appreciate your insight!
The Head is stronger and a bit more versatile, the Rossi has more shape, precise and locks more into a turn. I like the new HD construction of the E88, it is quieter on the snow hense smoother.

Africa

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug , did you have a chance to take the Atomic Vantage X 83 Cti off trail a bit? I am really impressed at how well the current(2016) Crimson Ti skis in bumps and variable, and curious if that trait is maintained in the new Vantage X?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug , did you have a chance to take the Atomic Vantage X 83 Cti off trail a bit? I am really impressed at how well the current(2016) Crimson Ti skis in bumps and variable, and curious if that trait is maintained in the new Vantage X?
Not in any deep snow but I did take it in sume bumps and chalky cut up snow on the Slide Side of Mt. Rose and I will say in this segment, it was rhe best in these conditions. I have skied the Crimson in the past and I think the new Vantage X 83 is better in every aspect. The new Warden-derived binding is much more efficient than the older Z design, you could feel the responsiveness of the binding along with less ramp gave the new ski more bite.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anything on the Fischer's new replacement for the Motive 86 ti (All Mtn Pro, I think)?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been spending a few days on the Armada Invictus 89Ti, and the more I ski it, the more I am still impressed. Armada is just making a really good ski that has not been on enough people's radar. @Josh Matta has been praising the TST and while I liked it, I didn't love it but the Invictus 89 that I am talking about here along with the new 99 and the carryover 108 are really good skis; I will put them up against any of the other offerings in their categories. They are fun and playful and great options for all but the strongest of skiers. Expect @Tricia to chime in soon because she has been skiing the women's version for a few days.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah I think you have to come at the TST from quick soft snow skis only that will be fun, it is no in the same class as any ski with metal even the softer ones.

Captain Kremmen

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi @Philpug , thanks for taking the time to give a great review of the, quite crowded, all-mountain category.

pcjer

Booting up
Skier
Are there any differences between the Atomic Vantage X 83 and 80 (besides the obvious 3mm)?