• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The steel-edged in-track ski thread (70mm widest).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
current list of candidates:

Madshus Panorama T55 and T50 (removable kicker skins)
Rossignol BC 65 (Positrack base)
Fischer Outback 68 - has both Crown base and removable skins.
Alpina Discovery 68

Do not want NNN-BC premounts, these will get used with Xplor.

Particularly interested in ease of control on icy sidehills and in balance on very mild descents. Straight track speed not a driving parameter. Secure uphill grip (no backslide) absolutely critical.

These are for an intermediate alpine skier with near-zero nordic skills who is willing to splash out for a premier boot and binding but completely unwilling to get skis significantly longer than her alpine gear. Yes, I know, just look at the recommended length tables but if the table says 190cm she will balk. Just based on this I am biased towards the Fischer but if anyone has better ideas...

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the Rossis, 2020 version. I'm a mediocre nordic xc skier, with marginally better balance than a noob. The uphill thing is more about technique, imho, and at some point, she'll have to herringbone. I haven't crashed on the downhill, but it is a powerwedge situation. Haven't been on ice, though, because why? :)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer Spider 62. From my experience it’s faster and better in track than the Outback. Comes in manageable lengths, too.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The uphill thing is more about technique, imho, and at some point, she'll have to herringbone.

Yes, but skis can compensate for it with flex balance.

She has been on rentals which were flex-optimal for her in straight-line-go but had almost no grip in front of the toe and absolutely wishes to avoid the scenario of the back foot lurching out from under her. Combine that with her reluctance to go to long skis and it's a bit of a painted box.

I lent her my ancient Fischer Revolutions and she loved them because both short and huge front grip zone. So now she's hoping to get skis in a similar envelope - that aren't old enough to vote.

Haven't been on ice, though, because why? :)

Because refreeze and a STRONG case of 'I want to go THERE'-itis. :)

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Fischer Spider 62. From my experience it’s faster and better in track than the Outback. Comes in manageable lengths, too.

The chart puts her on the 189cm, not counting pack and gear. 179cm would be a lot easier to convince her of. Hmmm.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m 170 nekkid and happy on the 179. FWIW

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Since they are going to be using the Xplor bindings and steel edges, Im going to assume that tracked golf courses are a stepping stone or not the primary interest atleast?

Are waxable skis an option? Perhaps something that has a skin attachment for the steep stuff?

I'll toss these out an alternative, Asnes Amundsen BC. They supposedly do a wax less version also, but Im not sure they really exist?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
current list of candidates:

Madshus Panorama T55 and T50 (removable kicker skins)
Rossignol BC 65 (Positrack base)
Fischer Outback 68 - has both Crown base and removable skins.
Alpina Discovery 68

Do not want NNN-BC premounts, these will get used with Xplor.

Particularly interested in ease of control on icy sidehills and in balance on very mild descents. Straight track speed not a driving parameter. Secure uphill grip (no backslide) absolutely critical.

These are for an intermediate alpine skier with near-zero nordic skills who is willing to splash out for a premier boot and binding but completely unwilling to get skis significantly longer than her alpine gear. Yes, I know, just look at the recommended length tables but if the table says 190cm she will balk. Just based on this I am biased towards the Fischer but if anyone has better ideas...
You may not be able to fix the situation with gear alone.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You may not be able to fix the situation with gear alone.

*shrug* She's a state ranger who can't climb anymore.

By the end of the winter she'll have more miles on whatever truck skis she gets than I can get in 5-6 seasons - and hopefully be teaching me stuff.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
By the end of the winter she'll have more miles on whatever truck skis she gets than I can get in 5-6 seasons - and hopefully be teaching me stuff.

Hah! Both an Outback 68 and a Spider 62. She really wanted a BC 70 but Rossi are not making that one any more.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
She reports: the XPlor is *very* nice with the Outback 68, super easy to click in even in deep snow, reliable downhill control even for a beginner/intermediate with zero formal telemark training.
Ooh ooh ooh. This reminds me that I wanted to mention one reason that XC on the Seiser Alm was so fun: The nordic trails criss-cross with blue alpine trails (and walking trails and horse/sleigh trails). What does that mean? It means that we XC types have lots of opportunities to practice impromptu tele on perfect wide, groomed pitches. :) You and Herself should go.

Sponsor

Staff online