• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The plight of the minivan

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've read, in all seriousness, that they are poised for a comeback. Because they really are a super-utilitarian vehicle. Serious. You can get a GSXR-600 in the back of them!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've read, in all seriousness, that they are poised for a comeback. Because they really are a super-utilitarian vehicle. Serious. You can get a GSXR-600 in the back of them!

Oh I dunno, I think we might have a last minute save in that ", vigorously and sweatily, in parking lots?" notion the article presented :)

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You sure could fit a lot of skis in them ...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We rock one -- Sienna AWD -- with no apologies. The best winter road trip rig in the biz. I built a platform for the back that leaves room underneath for 6 pair of alpine skis and a bag holding 5 or 6 pair of xc skis. Plus various soft bags nestled in and amongst. The rest of the luggage and groceries ride on top of the platform, as well as the dog (no kids involved).

It has also been known to ferry three guys and their mtbs (inside -- nothing on the roof) to Moab and/or Gooseberry Mesa.

Fast, quiet, reasonable gas mileage, lasts forever, and goes like a junkyard dog in the snow. The long wheelbase makes for astounding stability in bad road conditions. If these ever become unavailable in AWD, I suspect we'll be buying the last one made.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How odd, none of my family or friends gets that my van is the most adult purchase I've made. Pure utility. Plus my new one is plenty rad.

I just wish manufacturers would pay a bit more attention to this segment. I would've happily bought a more modern minivan if it was available with AWD/4x4 and decent ground clearance. Unfortunately it doesn't exist.

Besides, show me another vehicle that is as luxurious to boot up in...

GrKOtKv.jpg

Plus lots of skis fit inside. And if I don't like your snowboard, I can carry it on the roof.

16Qtj1r.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have any of you driven a modern van -- not mini -- like a Transit or a Sprinter? I don't need one, just curious how well they work.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Have any of you driven a modern van -- not mini -- like a Transit or a Sprinter? I don't need one, just curious how well they work.

I drove a Transit before deciding I really wanted AWD of an Astro and didn't need to spend the extra 20k. Its a fantastic vehicle -- great view of the road, reasonable turn radius, and tons of cargo space. Handles way better than the old E series or GMC full-size. Glad they are finally coming to the US market.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
While the writer mocks SUVs and crossovers, there are plenty of people who do not need a 3rd row. If you did need a 3rd row there are SUV/crossover choices in the 190 inch range. The mini vans are usually 200 inches or more. I do not need such a large vehicle for the remote chance I might need space once or twice a year. I would rather have a station wagon (I had an audi S6), but the choices are too limiting. That's how I ended up in an SUV.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Before I owned my GMC Truck I owned a Plymouth Mini Van and put 156K miles on it and when it came time to replace it I could get the truck cheaper than a Mini Van. It was two wheel drive and never got stuck in the snow here in the north east. I only had one major issue with valve seals at 100K but once that was fixed it was a great vehicle. When it is time to replace the truck I will look at Mini Vans again. One of the guys I fish with bought a Mini Van two years ago and he loves it, takes it all over and gets better gas mileage than I get with my truck.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We've had 2 mini vans, a Pontiac Transporter (yes the dust bust shape), great highway mileage, great seat layout and instant stars if you forgot about the fun front door shape (even had a factory warning sign to watch your head opening and closing the doors). The current is a 06 Caravan and for the price nothing on the market can beat it. Mechanically, it runs and runs. Size wise it is not longer the Golf Sportwagon and seats 2 more and has better tow rating.

As to the replacement, my first choice would be a Ford 4dr pickup, one less seat, just bigger, after that don't know.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not big on skis inside unless they are REALLY well secured. Vans with ski boxes on top don't play well with parking decks. I did look around for 4WD van options when looking at larger vehicles right after getting married. Ended up going with a Trooper LS because I couldn't find any AWD vans back in 2,000. Mazda had one in the late 90s and others have them now, but they were kinda scarce when I went truck frame SUV.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
We've had 2 mini vans, a Pontiac Transporter (yes the dust bust shape), great highway mileage, great seat layout and instant stars if you forgot about the fun front door shape (even had a factory warning sign to watch your head opening and closing the doors). The current is a 06 Caravan and for the price nothing on the market can beat it. Mechanically, it runs and runs. Size wise it is not longer the Golf Sportwagon and seats 2 more and has better tow rating.

As to the replacement, my first choice would be a Ford 4dr pickup, one less seat, just bigger, after that don't know.

The 2006 dodge caravan is about 10 inches longer than the VW sportwagen.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I was kind of surprised the Mercedes R-Class died so fast. I remember Car and Drivers review of the AMG model. Q: Who needs a 500-hp minivan? A: Everybody.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The 2006 dodge caravan is about 10 inches longer than the VW sportwagen.

Checked and yes you are correct, appearance wise doesn't seem it as we park both side by side for the last 7 years. Funny as it sounds when we first got the Jetta Sportwagen TDI that was the first thing that I noticed.

:beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online