• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "Once in a Decade" Ski

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If it can make Jed a better skier, think what it can do with a mere mortal skier!

Kill them? Seriously, some skis are "too much ski" for some of us. I like how some of the big ski shops and some times even manufacturers will rate a ski as "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert". What would be the minimum skill requirement for the Z90? Thanks!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After a day on these pups I can safely say the Z90s are best suited for a skilled pilot.

After a full day on them the characteristic I liked the best is going from high speed GS turns to shutting them right down into the bumps without scrubbing or throwing them sideways - impressive !

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kill them? Seriously, some skis are "too much ski" for some of us. I like how some of the big ski shops and some times even manufacturers will rate a ski as "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced" or "expert". What would be the minimum skill requirement for the Z90? Thanks!
I think the Z90 will reward good skills, I think they would be better suited for a more advanced skier that has a more extensive toolbox of skills. With that said, we can arrange a time for you to get on them.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think the Z90 will reward good skills, I think they would be better suited for a more advanced skier that has a more extensive toolbox of skills. With that said, we can arrange a time for you to get on them.

Yeah, that was my hunch. It's also the case that the ski that rewards advanced skills penalizes the lack of them. Thanks a lot for the offer, I don't think it's sensible for me to demo at this point. Maybe in the spring if I managed to put a good number of quality ski days and things moved forward. I'm loving the learning process and enjoying every minute of it. :)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm a mere mortal, a rec skier w/ no race background, just a handful of years in the sport, and probably only approaching sixty days. These skis are teaching me every day I'm on them. Biggest lessons are stay forward (shin in contact with boot tongue) and edge. When traversing the greens back to the lift, I can get lazy, and try to run flat. I have to be forward and careful otherwise a tip will wander. It's much easier to have a small/low edge and cruise in. It's on the greens where I get lazy and end up back seated.

That said, everything everyone else has been saying I echo. These like to carve and are stable at speed. They are light that doing 360 and pivot slips drills seem so much easier. They are light, they're easier to manuver in the bumps: pivoting is easier, unloading (retraction) and 3D angling (tipping down or up) is easier. Usually after a couple of bump runs and my legs are gone. I must have put in 3-4 runs on Rose's Aida on Sunday and still felt fresh, like I had been doing carving drills all morning instead. Monday I was back at them and doing even better.

These skis are giving me the right feedback. They're making me a better skier.

I don't know the minimum requirement to be able to use these skis. I would suggest that if you can stay mostly forward and have both pivot turns and a little low angle carve turns, that's likely good enough. The rest is terrean choice and how much you want to push stretch your limits.

HTH

KenYz

Booting up
Skier

Phil, a few seasons ago you put me on K2 Rictor 90s, and you were so right. I love 'em pretty darn good. I came in wanting something a bit more relaxed than the Tigersharks and a lot quicker than the all mountain offerings from Blizzard, Volkl, and several others I can't even remember anymore. The K2s made me a better skier -- a not-as-aggressive-as-I-used-to-be-advanced skier. Always an able carver, I do more different turns now and have more control than I ever have under any conditions. The skis are great, stable enough at speed, nice snap, and just fun and pretty smooth for anything below fast. I put them against the Tigersharks and a pair of LibTech NAS, and they did everything the other skis did with a lot more fun (okay, the TSs still carve beastly). Thanks again.

Now, do I want these/are they good for me? Sorry to sound ignorant, but are they carried locally? I'd like to demo.

Best,
Ken

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
@KenYz, @Philpug has a pair of demos in 174, and I have my skis (which you are welcome to ski if you are a 27.5/313ish boot sole) any time you want.

I am up at Northstar every weekend and at Squaw 2-3 days a month (during the race year).

FYI, we are very lucky to have people like @Philpug and @Sierrajim who can almost uncannily recommend the proper tool for the job/skier.

That's just one of the small reasons Pugski rocks!

KenYz

Booting up
Skier
Phil, a few seasons ago you put me on K2 Rictor 90s, and you were so right. I love 'em pretty darn good. I came in wanting something a bit more relaxed than the Tigersharks and a lot quicker than the all mountain offerings from Blizzard, Volkl, and several others I can't even remember anymore. The K2s made me a better skier -- a not-as-aggressive-as-I-used-to-be-advanced skier. Always an able carver, I do more different turns now and have more control than I ever have under any conditions. The skis are great, stable enough at speed, nice snap, and just fun and pretty smooth for anything below fast. I put them against the Tigersharks and a pair of LibTech NAS, and they did everything the other skis did with a lot more fun (okay, the TSs still carve beastly). Thanks again.

Now, do I want these/are they good for me? Sorry to sound ignorant, but are they carried locally? I'd like to demo.

Best,
Ken
PS: I'm not looking for free personalized advice, but I don't know where else to contact you.

KenYz

Booting up
Skier
@KenYz, @Philpug has a pair of demos in 174, and I have my skis (which you are welcome to ski if you are a 27.5/313ish boot sole) any time you want.

I am up at Northstar every weekend and at Squaw 2-3 days a month (during the race year).

FYI, we are very lucky to have people like @Philpug and @Sierrajim who can almost uncannily recommend the proper tool for the job/skier.

That's just one of the small reasons Pugski rocks!
Thanks! And totally agree with our luck. Gawd Phil, you're going to get an even bigger head.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Jed- let me know when you are at Squaw on a weekend. You and I also have the same BSL- I'm 315 (27.5).

Alex, probably won't be there until the U10 races March 24th-27th. After that quite a bit.

@Rich Peters should be there many saturdays. He's on the second floor on the north side of the Member's locker room. I would reach out to him as well. He has that BSL.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would like to see @Alexzn get on the 180's.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so......... anyone with Z-90's (174 length preferably) that work with BSL 310, attending the Whistler Gathering?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm waiting for the new line from Virgin Adjective.;)

James

Out There
Instructor
OK, so......... anyone with Z-90's (174 length preferably) that work with BSL 310, attending the Whistler Gathering?
Maybe start a new ski swapping site? Easier than wives and I suspect there's a few of those.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mayyyyyybe I could sent a pair up with Tricia. ogwink

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. Why are all the women congregating around me? Ah. It's because of my ideal bsl!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL. There will be a 165 Z90 coming..I can't see Tricia leaving it behind.

@Tricia, if you haven't been on the 100Eights (173cm), we can swap for a bit. Comfort food. It's like skiing on mac & cheese. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid