• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Not a gear purchase but I'm pretty excited about my new Obermeyer jacket and Sunice ski pants combo.

$139 with free shipping for the jacket (thank you Canada) and $100 for the ski pants from a local ski shop in Vermont (50% off)

2017-07-16_17.03.16.jpg

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
NOS skis are the best deal ever if you can get them in the size you like. Nothing like paying $200 or less for a pair of what was cutting edge top of the line going for 5 times that just 3-4 years ago. It's the only way I go for brand new. Everything else I've added to the quiver this millennium has been 2nd hand gently used or even cheaper than $200 WITH good bindings.

If you can afford latest and greatest brand new that's awesome and creates lots of jobs. I'll wait patiently for your leftovers :)
I've always used used skis as a way to experiment with a variety of different skis just for the fun of it. That is, until @Philpug introduced the "I've got a bunch of skis you can demo" concept. And then I found a pair that legitimately replaced 3 pairs of skis. So I bought new for the first time in a long time. That said, I expect these to last several seasons.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Not a gear purchase but I'm pretty excited about my new Obermeyer jacket and Sunice ski pants combo.

$139 with free shipping for the jacket (thank you Canada) and $100 for the ski pants from a local ski shop in Vermont (50% off)

View attachment 26744

Awesome! I got my daughter a couple jackets very much like that last fall. She absolutely LOVES them. Those pants totally rock!!!

I think this is the one I got her..
m_537e6e6c4845e61a34083b7c.jpg

Her favorite pants to wear with a similar jacket are black with purple and pink trim. Loves the white jacket as well.

15966290_1533688853313314_9011932456241494937_n.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Awesome! I got my daughter a couple jackets very much like that last fall. She absolutely LOVES them. Those pants totally rock!!!

I think this is the one I got her..
m_537e6e6c4845e61a34083b7c.jpg

Her favorite pants to wear with a similar jacket are black with purple and pink trim. Loves the white jacket as well.

15966290_1533688853313314_9011932456241494937_n.jpg

Thanks. Purple's a great color for a jacket isn't it? Why not have fun with clothes when you ski right. My guy hates my new orange pants. He's very conservative and claims he's not going to know me when we ski together. He's not serious mind you but I will expect an earful of teasing every time he sees me in those pants. When I teach I have to wear black pants and my instructor jacket so on my day off I like to wear bright colors and have some fun. My purple jacket arrives today so even though it's quite warm here today it's so tempting to try jacket/pants on, even just for a moment :)

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Was looking for clamps for my wife for her 2017 Head SL RD's that we picked up new in Hood for $300 & found matching bindings on Skis.com paired w/ an Elan FIS GS ski + tyrolia RDX plates for $170 :0 :)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, this is kind of esoteric and will leave a lot of folks in the dark, but I'm braggin'. I scored the most bitchen pair of '70s unworn vintage Patagonia stand up pants on eBay recently. Never been worn or washed, and I had to hem them (good thing I have a sewing machine), but damn, those things are fine. I had a pair in the 70s that wore out long ago.

I've been working in the garden and around the house while wearing them, and I can't wait to start clearing ski trails while wearing them next month. Double layers on the thighs, knees, and butt, great pockets and fabric, and they fit so well...I'm stoked. Classics, they look like this:

patag298427_lg.jpg

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
NOS skis are the best deal ever if you can get them in the size you like. Nothing like paying $200 or less for a pair of what was cutting edge top of the line going for 5 times that just 3-4 years ago. It's the only way I go for brand new. Everything else I've added to the quiver this millennium has been 2nd hand gently used or even cheaper than $200 WITH good bindings.

If you can afford latest and greatest brand new that's awesome and creates lots of jobs. I'll wait patiently for your leftovers :)
Can you elaborate on "NOS"? I would like to take advantage of this strategy. Cheers.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"New Old Stock" refers to left over product that retailers sell at a discount. Any product. As far as skis go, this would generally be last year's or discontinued models. Often, the only change from one year to the next might be cosmetic.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked this up to use as a carry on boot bag for my upcoming trip to Chile. There is one compartment meant for boots but I can fit my boots and goggles in a hard case in that compartment. Helmet has its own compartment. Then another section for other necessities. It does have ski carry capability but without a hip belt I likely wouldn't use it for that unless desperate. I like it so much that I suspect I'll sell my Transpack this fall.

IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG

Last edited:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I picked this up to use as a carry on boot bag for my upcoming trip to Chile. There is one compartment meant for boots but I can fit my boots and goggles in a hard case in that compartment. Helmet has its own compartment. Then another section for other necessities. It does have ski carry capability but without a hip belt I likely wouldn't use it for that unless desperate. I like it so much that I suspect I'll sell my Transpack this fall.

View attachment 27049 View attachment 27050
I really like the bag. Looks great. Your nails could use a little touch-screen up though. ;)

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Spyder Coach's Bib + @TheBestSkier's hook up on a Colorado Freeride Systems jacket & thinking Free The Powder mitts = awesome start to 2018!!

Been super happy with both my Co Freeride jackets and my FTP mitts. My hands run cold and those things are great. With way less break-in time than Kincos.

Sponsor