• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Has been an icon in Sweden for everyone growing up in the 70's and 80's.

For some reason, he and Bjorn Borg were my icons in the 70s, too. I really don't know why ... I mean, it kind of makes sense now, but I was a (strange) 9yo American girl....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, here's a reason why the USST is based in Utah.....the home base of all of those ballroom dance studios and DWTS stars.
Maybe we should be looking there for talented 6 year olds......
One of our friends who picked up skiing quicker than most folks I know is @Stephen. He's a Ballroom dance instructor and is very intuitive about body movement.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
One of our friends who picked up skiing quicker than most folks I know is @Stephen. He's a Ballroom dance instructor and is very intuitive about body movement.

Doesn't surprise me. I've got students that do dancing classes (not ballroom, modern?) in town. They are much more in-tuned with making their body work because of dancing. They are always the ones that pick up skiing and snowboarding the quickest. Maybe a good off-season exercise!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lots of talking in Swedish here, but also some nice skiing footage and documentation from Sweden at that time -- the whole country stood still when Ingemar was skiing. No hyperboI. I especially like the part starting at 2:05ish, with some free skiing.
It was his "resume-film" from another show called Mästarnas Mästare (The Champ of Champions). Needless to say, he won that too.

If there's any segment in particular that catches anyone's curiosity, I'll be happy to translate what is said.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've always loved his skiing. One could build a powerful argument that he is the best ever. His major competitor was Phil Mahre, it was great to see them back in the day.
Whenever watching GS skiing of that era, I just wish that modern GS had the freedom of flow displayed by Stenmark and his peers. today's GS skiing is not a style to be emulated by recreational skiers.

Good find Trish.

For some reason, he and Bjorn Borg were my icons in the 70s, too. I really don't know why ... I mean, it kind of makes sense now, but I was a (strange) 9yo American girl....

Phil and Ingemar had a competion on par with Borg and McEnroe...at least in my mind and it was so much fun as a fan to watch, because they were so different in their approach. You see Ingemar in a unicycle in his training and Phil (and Steve) raced motocross to learn and work on agility.

I see some of Stenmark in Mikeala where she is winning races by seconds like Ingemar did. Stenmarks first run was good, almost slow and calculated a training run, but his second run, after he learned the course is where he separated himself from the pack.

@Muleski, I recall hearing the rumor that Stenmark was one of the reasons that we now have break-away gates, he was the first to figure out that going through the gate was faster than going around them. After his runs, the course was in shambles with bamboo everywhere and they had to reset the course. Any truth?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The unicycle clip of Ingemar has been the source of lots of things. He actually talks about it in the clip. One of the other participants ask Ingemar if that was a part of his training regime. And Ingemar says no, it wasn't. He just learned it for fun one summer. Same with rope walking. Not something he did to train for skiing. On the other hand, he say, he knew that the Austrians watched everything he did and suddenly, they were all learning to unicycle. I spent my time skiing and running, he chuckles. He also emphasises the importance of free skiing and developing a feel for the snow. He suggests that he perhaps liked skiing more than "the others" because in his opinion they were equally strong and technically skilled. Here, I beg to differ from Ingemars point of view. He was and is incredibly fit. I agree that there are similarities with MS. I think she also truly loves it. And she is incredibly fit.

Re the softer SL poles, not sure he was the first there. But I know that he gambled on them. Pre season ?(year) FIS hadn't decided if they should use the classic ones or the new softer one. Nobody knew. Most skiers trained 50/50 on the old and new to be prepared whatever the decision from FIS would be. Ingemar trained exclusively with the new, softer pole.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@Muleski, I recall hearing the rumor that Stenmark was one of the reasons that we now have break-away gates, he was the first to figure out that going through the gate was faster than going around them. After his runs, the course was in shambles with bamboo everywhere and they had to reset the course. Any truth?
I remember watching Phil Mahre in SL at The National Championships at Mammoth back when they where still using bamboo. Ingemar was not there but a lot of great US & Canadian racers where. When Phil ran the SL it was pretty much as you describe. He absolutely shredded the course, gates flying everywhere, stuck between his legs, snapping in half, sliding down the hill etc.! Once he was done there was a long hold while they literally reset the whole course.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
Back in the early 90's the now long gone Snow Country ski magazine did a detailed breakdown of IS ski technique with super clear photographs. That article and then Lito 1 video together had the greatest impact on my personal skiing and understanding of what makes a ski perform.

Great post that takes me on the way back machine. Thanks!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Still one of the greats! Just makes it look so smooth and effortless. And in the later (late 80s on) footage his GS does not look dramatically different from current 35m ski GS! Well, that is until you see just how much up and down body movement it takes to make the old school skis come round! 35m skiing exaggerated! Even Ingemar couldn't make these old skis roll side to side under him (with a quiet/still/disciplined/dynamic - pick your poison of choice!! upper body.)..:beercheer:

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
Still one of the greats! Just makes it look so smooth and effortless. And in the later (late 80s on) footage his GS does not look dramatically different from current 35m ski GS! Well, that is until you see just how much up and down body movement it takes to make the old school skis come round! 35m skiing exaggerated! Even Ingemar couldn't make these old skis roll side to side under him (with a quiet/still/disciplined/dynamic - pick your poison of choice!! upper body.)..:beercheer:
@ScotsSkier if you can find it, check out IIRC the 1989 Aspen GS 2nd run. When Stenmark roles through the flats about 1/3rd of the way down. I think you will see most elements of modern ski technique. Besides that it was an amazing race at the end of a record career.

James

Out There
Instructor
I recall reading an article in one of the skiing mags years ago, probably the mid to late 90's. The author and another were on a chairlift with Stenmark. The two were talking about what they were working on in their skiing. Then the conversation turned to Stenmark and they asked him. He answered something like, "I'm very happy with my skiing."

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I remember reading an article about him straight-lining what was supposed to be the steepest & most difficult mogul run (I think at Killington) and when he got to the bottom he just glanced back up and gave it a sort-of "OK, but no big deal" nod.

James O

Putting on skis
Skier
Back in the early 90's the now long gone Snow Country ski magazine did a detailed breakdown of IS ski technique with super clear photographs. That article and then Lito 1 video together had the greatest impact on my personal skiing and understanding of what makes a ski perform.

Great post that takes me on the way back machine. Thanks!

I think that Snow Country article can be found here: https://books.google.com/books?id=5...nmark snow country&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Also, the OP's video is part of this full video that shows some skiing demos as well...

James

Out There
Instructor
I'd take it.
Right?
Here's Hirscher doing some apparently hideous modern gs turns under competition pressure.
IMG_2303.JPG

Photo Ron LeMaster Vail 2015

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually met a guy who 'know' Ingemar in the gym t'day. He's a friend and involved in the club (same U16 squad as my oldest), grew up in Tärnaby, skied for Fjällvinden and went to the academy there. He's 15ish years younger but Tärnaby is a tiny place.

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
Right?
Here's Hirscher doing some apparently hideous modern gs turns under competition pressure.
View attachment 25687
Photo Ron LeMaster Vail 2015
I've been trying to do it all wrong :doh::huh::doh:

Actually met a guy who 'know' Ingemar in the gym t'day. He's a friend and involved in the club (same U16 squad as my oldest), grew up in Tärnaby, skied for Fjällvinden and went to the academy there. He's 15ish years younger but Tärnaby is a tiny place.
Isn't Anja Parson also from Tarnaby? Must be something in the water :martini:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January