• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Price be damned, this might be the ultimate ski car!

16c947-14-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/02/mercedes-e63-s-wagon-united-states-fall-official/

Let's celebrate the fact that Mercedes will once again bring the AMGwagon stateside. And the 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S wagon Benz's baddest long-roof yet. Like the sedan model, it features a 4.0-liter V-8 with a pair of twin-scroll turbos. Combined, they produce a whopping 603 horsepower and 627 lb-ft of torque.

All of that power is channeled through the E63 S wagon's 9-speed MCT (multi-clutch technology) automatic transmission to a 4MATIC+ all-wheel-drive system. The result is a wagon suitable for draggin' with a claimed 0-60 mph time of 3.4 seconds. This is an improvement of about 0.2 seconds over the last E63 wagon, and only a tenth behind the new E63 S sedan.

The E63 S wagon's all-wheel-drive system, like in the E63 S sedan, can also vary the amount of torque front and rear. It can even shift 100 percent of the torque to the rear, where an electronic limited slip differential also lurks. As is the current fashion, electronic trickery can give the wagon a "drift mode," just like in the sedan. The feature is activated when the car is in "RACE" drive mode, stability control switched off, and the 9-speed transmission set to manual shifting.

In addition to the E63 S wagon's tire-slaying equipment, there is an adjustable air suspension that can vary stiffness based on driving conditions and driver preference, plus ventilated and drilled 15.4-inch front disc brakes matched to 14.2-inch rotors in the back. The front rotors are stopped by six-piston calipers while the rears make do with single-piston units. The rotors can also be upgraded to optional carbon ceramic versions.

The E63 S wagon will make its official debut at this year's Geneva auto show in March, just as the E400 wagon reaches US dealers. The standard wagon will be joined by the AMG model by this fall. Mercedes has not released pricing for either wagon.

Joel Stocksdale

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The FF was wild. Two door, V12 station wagon. I saw some cool snow driving footage of that car, somewhere.

Is the lifted GT3000 still there? A friend had one. It didn't go very far between problems.

But it went from problem to problem very quickly!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would suggest the new 2017 Ford Raptor Supercrew (crew cab) with a hard cover over the bed (super sized ski box built in). I just bought a 2014 Ford Supercrew 4x2 and love it, but for ultimate ski vehicle its gotta be the Raptor.

005044506fffda18ccc6fe9cb1f61f5f.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would suggest the new 2017 Ford Raptor Supercrew (crew cab) with a hard cover over the bed (super sized ski box built in). I just bought a 2014 Ford Supercrew 4x2 and love it, but for ultimate ski vehicle its gotta be the Raptor.

005044506fffda18ccc6fe9cb1f61f5f.jpg

I would take the Suburban/Yukon XL or other large SUV over a truck. We can Keep our gear warm and dry and not in the bed.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would take the Suburban/Yukon XL or other large SUV over a truck. We can Keep our gear warm and dry and not in the bed.

Yes, I know....But it's got a 10speed, with lots of PPPOOOWWWEEERRRR! and a FOX race shock suspension. If the lift is down you can take turns driving to the top of the hill and still get a day in skiing.

You have to make a few sacrifices. :D;).

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Price be damned, this might be the ultimate ski car!

16c947-14-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/02/mercedes-e63-s-wagon-united-states-fall-official/

Let's celebrate the fact that Mercedes will once again bring the AMGwagon stateside. And the 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S wagon Benz's baddest long-roof yet. Like the sedan model, it features a 4.0-liter V-8 with a pair of twin-scroll turbos. Combined, they produce a whopping 603 horsepower and 627 lb-ft of torque.

All of that power is channeled through the E63 S wagon's 9-speed MCT (multi-clutch technology) automatic transmission to a 4MATIC+ all-wheel-drive system. The result is a wagon suitable for draggin' with a claimed 0-60 mph time of 3.4 seconds. This is an improvement of about 0.2 seconds over the last E63 wagon, and only a tenth behind the new E63 S sedan.

The E63 S wagon's all-wheel-drive system, like in the E63 S sedan, can also vary the amount of torque front and rear. It can even shift 100 percent of the torque to the rear, where an electronic limited slip differential also lurks. As is the current fashion, electronic trickery can give the wagon a "drift mode," just like in the sedan. The feature is activated when the car is in "RACE" drive mode, stability control switched off, and the 9-speed transmission set to manual shifting.

In addition to the E63 S wagon's tire-slaying equipment, there is an adjustable air suspension that can vary stiffness based on driving conditions and driver preference, plus ventilated and drilled 15.4-inch front disc brakes matched to 14.2-inch rotors in the back. The front rotors are stopped by six-piston calipers while the rears make do with single-piston units. The rotors can also be upgraded to optional carbon ceramic versions.

The E63 S wagon will make its official debut at this year's Geneva auto show in March, just as the E400 wagon reaches US dealers. The standard wagon will be joined by the AMG model by this fall. Mercedes has not released pricing for either wagon.

Joel Stocksdale

This is ultimate depending on how much you like sitting down low and looking up at SUVs in traffic along with your preference for having to remove the snow in your driveway prior to skiing :P.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Word is that the upcoming new Sprinter has been engineered right from the start for 4WD, which means the silly 3" or so lift required on the current version will be eliminated. Fingers crossed. Our RWD Sprinter is already top heavy enough!

Back to cars, with the AMG Mercedes, I'm a firm believer that there is such a thing as too much power for the ultimate ski car. Our naturally aspirated Sienna is a little easier to drive in really crappy conditions than my personal Volvo XC60 with the rompin, stompin turbo inline six. So much torque, so early in the rpm range, isn't necessarily the best thing on icy roads....

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The ultimate ski car to me isn't a "car" it's a Yukon. I've had multiple Subarus and trucks with toppers. Cars do not have enough room and trucks leave your gear cold. The Yukon can hold all my ski and sled gear (fluids tools etc.), dogs, a bed and a trunk for jackets(this is needed to keep dog hair off the goods). 4x4 with a tow package. I get horrible gas mileage but this is offset from tips I receive for yanking cars out of ditches.
20170210_131752.jpg

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
^Brave. Do you have to adjust the jetting on cars like that when you travel?

Sponsor

Staff online