• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hypergruv

"Suck At the Highest Level"
Skier
My last run of last season - 2nd Notch, ABasin, East Wall. Shouldered my skis for the whole hike up, 40mph winds on the ridge line, storm approaching, the softest creamy untracked powder on the way down. Late May powder day. Most epic line I've ever skied in my life.

18581591_10155198863615586_6719967180247073224_n.jpg

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
On the way home from CB, Telluride and Taos, up around Angel Fire. I have the whole sequence from -3 on. Some -20's reported on the radio. I wasn't buying it but as the miles went by it got colder and colder. :)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
At Taos, the first day ever that run was open, according to my instructor. He was testing me, as I'd said I would,pretty much follow an instructor anywhere, except trees, which would make me think long and hard about my choices. Pretty sure it's my first deliberate tree run ever, and definitely the first black one.

He really, really wanted to do that run. I survived it.
I have a similar story about Taos - I followed instructor into Valkyrie glades, firm conditions, no new snow, big bumps, tight trees. I side-slipped most of it and side-stepped even in some places and I was terrified. I survived it - that would be an apt description. :) Several days later I skied Valkyrie glades again, I was slightly less terrified, but not by much. :)
My current avatar - a snapshot from the video taken for evaluating ski technique. It was taken by our instructor during Taos ski week this past February.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The nurse at my school is named Mary....great lady...and is to put it lightly, a woman of faith. When we came back from that trip, I gave her a "I hiked Mary's Nipple" sticker...in shock/laughter....she almost fell out of her chair. We all were dying!!:roflmao:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a similar story about Taos - I followed instructor into Valkyrie glades, firm conditions, no new snow, big bumps, tight trees. I side-slipped most of it and side-stepped even in some places and I was terrified. I survived it - that would be an apt description. :) Several days later I skied Valkyrie glades again, I was slightly less terrified, but not by much. :)
My current avatar - a snapshot from the video taken for evaluating ski technique. It was taken by our instructor during Taos ski week this past February.
You're brave. I did NOT go back for more. Only to have my picture taken by the sign. In taking said picture, I managed to fall over while standing still. There's also pictorial evidence of that.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Just changed it today... No special story.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
You're brave. I did NOT go back for more. Only to have my picture taken by the sign. In taking said picture, I managed to fall over while standing still. There's also pictorial evidence of that.
Haha well by slightly less terrified 2nd time I mean I stopped for 5 minutes in a tight section to ponder my life choices then keep side slipping instead of 10-15 minutes of stopping and being so petrified, not wanting to move that instructor had to talk me into side slipping, which is what happened the first time I skied Valkyries glades. The 2nd time I did it was at the end of ski week - I was feeling more confident oh and it was warmer. The snow was soft, not firm bumps like the first time. I am at the point of my skiing where I ski single black ungroomed runs out west and some easy tree runs for fun (when there is soft/fresh snow/soft bumps), but Valkyries glades were not fun! But it was an adventure. :D If I go to Taos again I may have to take a pic next to Valkyries glades trail sign and post it with a caption - "I survived". ogsmile

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Haha well by slightly less terrified 2nd time I mean I stopped for 5 minutes in a tight section to ponder my life choices then keep side slipping instead of 10-15 minutes of stopping and being so petrified, not wanting to move that instructor had to talk me into side slipping, which is what happened the first time I skied Valkyries glades. The 2nd time I did it was at the end of ski week - I was feeling more confident oh and it was warmer. The snow was soft, not firm bumps like the first time. I am at the point of my skiing where I ski single black ungroomed runs out west and some easy tree runs for fun (when there is soft/fresh snow/soft bumps), but Valkyries glades were not fun! But it was an adventure. :D If I go to Taos again I may have to take a pic next to Valkyries glades trail sign and post it with a caption - "I survived". ogsmile
Our entire week there was deep and fluffy, so at least I didn't have to deal with ice.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Wow, that is pretty intense. Glad you survived the experience and went back for more.
If you don't mind, can I ask which side of chair #5 did you do the ski off? Skier's left or skier's right?

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Wow, that is pretty intense. Glad you survived the experience and went back for more.
If you don't mind, can I ask which side of chair #5 did you do the ski off? Skier's left or skier's right?
Hmm, I don't remember. I can tell you that the entrance to the glade we took was very narrow, traverse like and there was a terrain park lower down the slope. Here is a pic I have. I think this was the 3rd time I skied it - this is the easiest section of the glade. I now remember I actually skied skied it 3 times, 2x with instructor and 3rd time with my ski friends. I didn't have a problem with the section in the pic, it's what comes next that was, khm challenging mentally for me. :)
in Valkyrie glades.jpg

Yep skiing it It was an experience, but I need to learn to handle situations like that better. I should clarify that I was never in danger of falling, just not used the combination of big bumps, firm snow, and tight trees altogether. The instructor clearly thought I had enough skills to handle the terrain, which I probably did. I just didn't (and probably still don't) have the mileage to handle more challenging terrain mentally without getting really scared sometimes. I haven't been skiing all that long, but have taken a lot of lessons so my technique is decent, but my comfort zone is lagging way behind my technical ski skills. I am gradually expanding my comfort zone though. This past season I skied some easier single blacks at Taos (Hunziker Bowl, Psycopath) without getting too scared, sometimes really enjoying it. Actually Hunziker Bowl was probably my fave area on the mountain.

I want to go back to Taos to ski Al's run and Main Street off of Kachina peak, because I haven't done that during this past season trip. Oh and I loved Taos ski week, really want to do it again, maybe even with the same classmates. I got their contact information. :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.