• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Sun Valley March 9-16 Trip Report

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I organized a trip for 38 people to Sun Valley. Stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge apartments (condos)

Yep, the trail rating is wacked. Greens are just just as steep as many Black diamond trails elsewhere. There just isn't many easy ways down, so I get it. My favorite signs at Sun Valley were "Least Difficult way".
However they do an awesome job grooming those steep green and make then as skiable as possible so even the lower level skiers were able to take it down without much trouble. But let me tell you , you an easily pick up some speed on those green, wide groomers, and 50+mph is easily attainable....

Anyway what can I say about Sun Valley other then WOW. Most amazing views I've seen just about anywhere, never-ending vertical, awesome glades, great town & restaurants and just the most fantastic skiing experience. If you haven't been to Sun Valley, just book it, and make the trip, you won't regret it. Sun Valley Lodge was a nice place to stay.

Detailed Info:
Glades off of Seattle peak hold snow. We were still finding fresh track 12 days after last 12"+ dump.
(Sunrise bowl was closed, but everything before it was absolutely awesome Fire trail -> Numbers )

Glades around Frenchman's are just way too much fun, and "Limabo" between Limelight & Picabo were just out right fun.

There is an awesome run under the new Challenger lift but for the life of us we could not find the name if it. Great bump run under the lift, and the tress off the sides of the trail were even more fun.

Upper Hemingway and Upper Cozy brought some big similes as they are closed all week, so when they opened there was lots of deep untracked snow.

Baldy: The bowls were getting baked in the sun, and were a bit crusty on the sunny side, but if you stayed on the north side of the ridges, fresh soft snow was to be had, especially if you stayed on the ridges and worked you way down through the trees.

Verdict: Sun Valley lives up to its' name, beautiful weather, steep terrain, and spectacular views. Highly Recommend! ...oh, and $6.50 soup and cornbread at the Lookout Restaurant up top. Best deal on the mountain.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great info, thank you!

Do you remember the snow history while you were there? I always get nervous of extended droughts there and running into ice all over the mountain. Maybe an irrational fear given their snowmaking capabilities.

I have a group of ~7 Intermediate/Advanced skiers who I think Sun Valley would be perfect for. They love groomers, trees, and the occasional black diamond bowl, and they prefer bluebird days over powder days. Your post might have just convinced me to book next year's trip!

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I organized a trip for 38 people to Sun Valley. Stayed at the Sun Valley Lodge apartments (condos)

Yep, the trail rating is wacked. Greens are just just as steep as many Black diamond trails elsewhere. There just isn't many easy ways down, so I get it. My favorite signs at Sun Valley were "Least Difficult way".
However they do an awesome job grooming those steep green and make then as skiable as possible so even the lower level skiers were able to take it down without much trouble. But let me tell you , you an easily pick up some speed on those green, wide groomers, and 50+mph is easily attainable....

Anyway what can I say about Sun Valley other then WOW. Most amazing views I've seen just about anywhere, never-ending vertical, awesome glades, great town & restaurants and just the most fantastic skiing experience. If you haven't been to Sun Valley, just book it, and make the trip, you won't regret it. Sun Valley Lodge was a nice place to stay.

Detailed Info:
Glades off of Seattle peak hold snow. We were still finding fresh track 12 days after last 12"+ dump.
(Sunrise bowl was closed, but everything before it was absolutely awesome Fire trail -> Numbers )

Glades around Frenchman's are just way too much fun, and "Limabo" between Limelight & Picabo were just out right fun.

There is an awesome run under the new Challenger lift but for the life of us we could not find the name if it. Great bump run under the lift, and the tress off the sides of the trail were even more fun.

Upper Hemingway and Upper Cozy brought some big similes as they are closed all week, so when they opened there was lots of deep untracked snow.

Baldy: The bowls were getting baked in the sun, and were a bit crusty on the sunny side, but if you stayed on the north side of the ridges, fresh soft snow was to be had, especially if you stayed on the ridges and worked you way down through the trees.

Verdict: Sun Valley lives up to its' name, beautiful weather, steep terrain, and spectacular views. Highly Recommend! ...oh, and $6.50 soup and cornbread at the Lookout Restaurant up top. Best deal on the mountain.
I just finished 2 days at SV. My first time here.

Yes, I love blue bird groomer zoomers and this place did Not disappoint. Ok, maybe too warm but I followed the sun left to right looking up the mountain from gondola.

Yes, most trail ratings seem "off" but plenty of "blue" type zoomers for me to have fun on.

I've only skied about 10-12 mountains but for what I like, SV is number 1
1: Sun Valley - Idaho
2: Copper Mtn - Colorado
3: SnowMass - Colorado

Sponsor

Staff online