• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Summer Sales... (Must Fight Temptation!!!)

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All,

Looking at some of the deals out there on last years models is quite tempting. However, I had a limited amount of demo time this season and am looking for input from more knowledgeable sources.

Me: 6 foot 7 268 lbs (dropped a few over the summer yeah!) Advanced intermediate that likes to go off piste when possible and am experimenting with the trees. I am comfortable on black groomers and some black bump runs. I have Enforcer 93s in 193 and am looking for a soft snow compliment. By this I am not looking for a charging ski but more of a cruiser. Interested in opinions on the Atris in 189, and Line SN 108 or similar ilk. I am looking for a bargain so I am not interested in paying full freight for a new 2018 model. I do not need new boards (yeah keep telling yourself that) and I am looking at a clearance deal so keep that in mind. TX

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
At that size and weight what is a "stiff" ski to many won't be too stiff for you. So when you read reviews about skis being stiff/"chargy" remember that you probably have 70-80lbs on most reviewers. If I was rocking 93s as my low-snow ski and your size, I would be looking for a 190+ ski with 115-120mm waist and a good bit of rocker.

You may want to give people an idea of a price range. Some people looking for clearance skis want $200 used sticks in good shape. Some want $600 DPS skis that are 1/2 off.

If $550 is in your price range, Moment is having a 30% off sale and have Bibbys in 190 here: https://www.momentskis.com/products/bibby-pro. If you read around on the Bibby pro you'll find a lot of reviews like this one: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/moment-bibby-pro-190cm . Disclaimer: I have the Bibbys in 184 and find them to be one of my favorite resort-powder skis of all time.

Last edited:
TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @jmeb. I think as far as a "bargain" I was looking at the 400-600 range for skis that, new would cost demonstrably more. As for the Bibbys, it is wider than I am comfortable with. I want to stay in the 105 to 110 range. Largely due to the fact that I have had relatively few powder days. I am looking for western soft snow ski that in a pinch will ski well in 12 to 20 inches of fresh. Anything more and I would rent for the day. The E93s do better than expected in some conditions but I would like a confidence inspiring ski, I.e. Easy to turn in small radius turn conditions. Phil said I am too heavy for DPS f 106 so I am trying to get other options. I did demo the Cochise and thought it was a lot of work.

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess another question I have is metal mandatory? Can I get by without a ski with metal?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Metal is not mandatory, you can get buy with a ski w/o it. In fact, if you like more playful and easy skis you may want to avoid skis with it.

However, at your size, you do want a stiffer ski than most since you'll bend it much more easily. And it so happens that most stiffer skis come with metal. Of course there are exceptions to this.

I tend to agree with Phil that you'd probably overpower the Foundation series. Which is too bad because there are a number of 191 F106s floating around for <$600.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A fantastic deal on skis I just saw the other day that would be worthwhile of consideration would be the Head Collective 105 in the 2016 model in 191cm size going for only $209pr at Level 9 right now! It's a fantastic all mountain twin that has an even flex throughout the ski and wouldn't have the soft shovels than some of the skis mentioned earlier that you would overpower. Head will have the Kore series next year so lots of deals available on their previous Big Mountain series.

Described by many positive reviews as an "all mountain charger" but like others in this thread have mentioned, those are from lighter skiers who wouldn't be able to flex the ski like you would. (The 191cm lengths in the Head Flight series are stiffer than the 181cm versions as I own both on the narrower Venturi 95 version.) You would find them quite playful without overpowering them and they are very damp even at high cruising speeds. With it's shorter turn radius it would be very easy to ski and "less work" compared to the Cochise I think. So easy to ski through crud as well. I put 50,000 vertical feet plus on mine in a day without tiring and I drive 3.5 hours each way to the hill! No metal in this ski to save weight and keep it playful although it's not as super light nor soft flexing in the 191cm. Would be a great soft snow choice at an insane deal!

Sponsor

Staff online