• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Straps/Bones for rockered or very splayed skis?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Two straps. One on the ski somewhere above the toe and one below the heel. Should not twist provided the straps are long enough (easy to find).

Lol there's 8mm of gap between the skis 2 inches above the toe piece - unless the straps are tight enough to take the rocker out they will slide down to the toe piece.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh now I see it... I thought those were Junior Mints.

I was thinking one long piece of foam (maybe 2 feet long). Viewed in profile it would have a bit of an hourglass shape.
Oh sure like a racer base guard except foam padded, that's next on the list for the H112s.

I'm planning to use old 26 inch inner tube cut to length stuffed with foam, and attached to straps at the appropriate spacing.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My 2cts, but looking at the skis in the photo, why wouldn't placing "regular" Velcro straps just before and just after the bindings work? The binding bases would prevent the straps from sliding any farther down even if there is a camber gap at those points (100% reverse camber). On most ski/binding setups there is about 12/14 inches between these two points; this should be enough distance to prevent the skis from X'ing. especially if you use a wide strap.

Nope, it doesn't stop the X ing- there is gap between the skis at that point. I'll demonstrate. Take a wide strap and loop it loosely around your hand. Press that hand against a table. Grab the top of the strap with the other hand. Notice you can still jiggle it relative to the first hand.

Sorry guys, straps without something in between are about as effective at stopping sideways jiggle as a 1970s waterbed - or a car tire with soft sidewalls.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Then just build a wedge with foam to take up the gap from the rocker and use the strap with that.....this need not be so difficult.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Seriously, just use the rubber Voile straps like doug mentioned... they work... one midway towards tip and another towards the tail... I use them all the time on excessively rockered skis with zero issue. They even held together my broken couch for 3 years. Stop overthinking it.