• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Ski-meet-up Center

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Roby lukens is at the 'boat this week, hopefully he can give a first hand report!

@Ron your heart must be breaking!

Ron has the heart of two people ... ogsmile

yeah, fog and wind would not be what I'm looking for ... hopefully though as it looks today, temps are cold to keep things fresh(er) and with next week, sans any wet mix stuff it may turn out to be pretty nice.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
blue bird day! Cold but should make for some hero snow! more coming in all next week
Blue bird day indeed. I think i could see the ocean from the top of morningside. Very cold as well. Don't think it got above zero all day. It's a dry cold though. All that cold made for some great dry squeaky snow and a pair of concrete boots. The mountain is in great shape and looks like it will just keep getting better. We had an awesome week here as usual. Can' t wait to come back next year.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ugg, trip via Nebraska and Wyoming was uneventful. Road (I80) good but agree, noted temps cold across Midwest and in the WyNe area, dipping to -12 to 14F range. Supposed to rise up so I'm happy

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh happy day! in da boat!

Into Medicine Bow from Laramie

20170108_104556.jpg

Medicine Bow Forest ... One however needs to stop at the WyColo Lodge : )

20170108_130334.jpg

Steamboat! And lots snow!!!! And more to come!!!!!

20170108_133353.jpg

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Pete, just heard from friend saying the conditions today are viariable with even a period of sleet. Hopefully the temps drop and we get some nice powder for you. Pm me if you want to meet up. I may get the ok to ski later this week.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Pete the Boat has so much snow that it wont take much to get it really good again (I skied until last Thursday). The coverage is superb in most areas. Anything north facing is off the hook and it is a shame there is very little E and NE facing terrain because those aspects have just about double the snow. The upper mountain is where its at.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
no need to tell me! The weather was great sans cold and forecast is about ideal for our family level of skill. 3-8 every day i last looked and 20's to maybe low 30's at worst ... well, fingers crossed.

i need to send a pic from our hot tub, table left alone an nearly 20 inches sitting on it. ... light snow, etc ... nice glass of wine, etc:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh, sorry for no input. yesterday ski wouldn't be what powder hounds wished for but for midwesterners, did fine.

yesterday was a plenty of new snow but mid day, mid mountain snow was sleet. I would say this sucked but we moved higher. this worked well for all of us we got our ski legs in and then spent time downtown. Honestly I can do without rain but this turned to snow later and report was 8 inches.

Today we hit the slopes and honestly, if one wasn't looking for tons of powder, was really great. We hit midmountain and such runs as Moonlight. Planned to hit Hot Cakes but upper mountain shut down due to wind. We still hit some nice stuff, good powder I'd claim as 7-8 inches on short runs between trails. such as between Velvet and Moonlight or Northern itself.

honestly a good day

20170108_183204.jpg 20170108_212031.jpg

20170110_111336.jpg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
heard similar reports from another friend but she had decent snow in trees off storm peak. probably to the north

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
agreed, today we hit with our 12 yr old runs such as hot cakes and the ridge. All fun! The totals were 5 -8 inch

Anyhow, nice set up, two oldest having fun on 2 oclock!

2017-1-12 two oclock.jpg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Had a great day yesterday with @JeffB , his son and their friends. Steamboat had a layer of clouds that hung around all day that from the base looked ominous but above the,Gondi, it was a beautiful blue bird (some thin higher clouds) day with light crowds (for MLK weekend) and really good snow. Really enjoyed hanging with his gang. I missed skiing with @pete but I did run into him at the grocery store

IMG_5408.JPG IMG_5426.JPG IMG_5430.JPG

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I think you mis-tagged me. While I had a great time skiing this weekend I wasn't in Steamboat. (Nor am I aware of having kids.)

Great photos!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you mis-tagged me. While I had a great time skiing this weekend I wasn't in Steamboat. (Nor am I aware of having kids.)

Great photos!

humm, not an ex Navy guy? ... "nor am I aware of having kids" :roflmao:

Yeah, missed out on Ron, but had a good time at the Boat. MLK weekend is painfully busy but we did only "endure" a busy Saturday.

I'll have to post some more images one I download my daughter's camera but as noted, weather was pretty near ideal (sans a mixed weather monday below mid mountain) and lots of fresh powder everywhere. Temps at the top were cold enough and with last week typically 3-5 inches every day. Even the busy Saturday had super nice soft groomers on Tomahawk side, runs really well traveled. We were all surprised figuring it's be packed up but wasn't.

Top really was ideal for temps, sun and good amount of powder.

We did loops over that side traversing some tree paths, daughters taking me where normally I'd be apprehensive. Youngest and 2nd acting as instructors having spouse and I practice S turns, J turns, Hockey stops, pole planting and side slipping besides other stuff such as managing bumps and paths on Hot Cakes and the Ridge.

Overall a dumb fun day of practice on otherwise what some might be frustrated on due to lift lines.

Reactions: Ron

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Had a great time with @Ron, the quintessential mountain ambassador and all around good dude. And thanks for the extra effort to get a child support claim for me - that little bugger pictured is, so far, the most expensive double rye on the rocks I've ever had.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's some pics, but my lift line opinion for lift lines is that the base is really needing some improvement. We skipped morning lines till later as the wait would be ~30 min on the Sat (and close on Friday) just to get on mountain. But I can say on mountain was reasonable given numbers ... a chance to rest up a bit.

On Sundial just across from dropping into Hotcakes!

DSCF3005.JPG

on way down onto Tomahawk, Sat 14th ... surprised how nice the coverage was given traffic. Snow was soft and powdery with ~5 new, this early afternoon to boot. Lots more in trees ...

DSCF3015.JPG

For those wishing to feed birds, popular tree stand tepee on Baby Cakes where even my spouse could feed the wild life ... (nuts are a favorite but they love Apples and bread)

DSCF3031.JPG

DSCF3033.JPG

MLK meant we could ride the Priest Creek lift for the first time ... (eldest has ridden prior year, but none the rest of us) great riding a older lift and views were spectacular ... check out the background and levels of snow, there were tons of staches all abound for the finding - not hard BTW:

DSCF3043.JPG

only downside but hey, it's a busy weekend. Lifts at Elkhead near end of day (newer high speed quad was nice, moved lines like crazy) .. I will say, seems we'd be crowded the whole way down but surprised that crowds died off (on different post)

DSCF3065.JPG

near Basher, spouse (like a lonely lost soul or granny watching over all) showing how insignificant we are in the mountains .... if for nothing else skiing just puts me in perspective with our place in nature ... which I truly love. (note, I believe right to left the runs go .... Vertigo, Teds Ridge, Opps, Upper Concentration - and it's access)

DSCF3073.JPG

more fun ... food on mtn jumped pricing (I think) so we did a bit more at the Condo - even a "Fuzziwig's Truffle" for the desert ... so good with red wine!:

2017 Steamboat Dinner.jpg

Simply goofing off between near Buckshot prior to some slow tree paths (Tomahawk and Quickdraw area)

2017 Steamboat kristin and jules.jpg

I think this around the Surprise / Vagabond area ... in between. Short little powdery area to bounce through ...

2017 Steamboat trail.jpg

Attachments

• 2017 Steamboat trail.jpg
    2017 Steamboat trail.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online