• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Squaw Valley to Host 2018 Nastar Championships, March 21-25

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows to Host 2018 NASTAR National Championships, March 21-25

NASTAR National Championships returns to the Sierra for first time in nearly 40 years

[Olympic Valley, Calif.] June 1, 2017 –
U.S. Ski & Snowboard announced today that Squaw Valley will host the 2018 Liberty Mutual Insurance NASTAR National Championships, March 21-25, the first time the event returns to the Sierra since 1981. Following the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang, South Korea, NASTAR National Championships will build on the enthusiasm generated by the Games and provide a new locale for fans to get involved with alpine sports. NASTAR participants qualify for the championships by earning a top ten national ranking or a top five state ranking within their age, gender and ability group by February 19. Racers can also qualify by earning a top ranking at their favorite resort or at the Regional Championships. For more information, visit www.nastar.com/national-championships.

“As a mountain community with a heritage that’s truly embedded within alpine racing, including the Olympic Games and World Cup racing, we look forward to sharing our legendary mountains with NASTAR participants from across the country,” said Andy Wirth, president and CEO of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows. “Very much like the recent Alpine World Cup, this event will be great for the entire region, attracting thousands of avid skiers and their families who are passionate about ski racing…as we all are! Our entire community is excited to provide all participants and their families and friends with a warm reception – we are all genuinely honored to be working with NASTAR and U.S. Ski & Snowboard.”

Following the success of the 2017 Audi FIS Ski World Cup as well as numerous U.S. Alpine Championships and the 1960 Winter Olympics, Squaw Valley has proven to be a world class venue, excelling at hosting large, multi-discipline events. Squaw Valley is known for vast alpine peaks with iconic lifts such as KT-22 and the Aerial Tram, providing a scenic backdrop for NASTAR’s biggest event of the season. The resort has also seen strong growth in NASTAR participants over the past few seasons, including more than 800 children ages five to 12-years-old racing in its Mighty Mite World Cup program.

“Squaw Valley exhibits a deep passion for skiing and snowboarding that will resonate with the NASTAR community,” said Bill Madsen, director of NASTAR. “The resort has seen strong growth in its NASTAR participants over the past few seasons and has been a great partner in supporting the growth and promotion of the program. We’re looking forward to working with Squaw Valley to put on a great event.”

NASTAR continues to bring greater awareness to the sport, motivating participants of all ages to get involved in alpine racing. The program’s integration with the U.S. Ski Team gives racers the opportunity to meet and interact with their favorite racers.

Built on the legacy of the 1960 Winter Olympics hosted at Squaw Valley, the resort has since reared celebrated athletes such as Jonny Moseley, Julia Mancuso, Travis Ganong, Marco Sullivan, JT Holmes, Michelle Parker, Cody Townsend, Jeremy Jones, Ralph Backstrom, Nate Holland and Errol Kerr.

“These mountains have been the training ground for so many incredible winter-sport athletes,” said Marco Sullivan, former U.S. Ski Team member, Squaw Valley Ski Team alumnus and NASTAR pacesetter. “So much of my success as an athlete is due to my development as a kid on the slopes of Squaw Valley. I am excited to share the mountains I grew up on with the great competitors at the NASTAR National Championships.”

The NASTAR National Championships will come to Squaw Valley March 21-25, 2018. In addition to the Alpine Ski division, the NASTAR National Championships will also host snowboard, telemark and physically challenged disciplines. Just a 45 minute drive from the Reno-Tahoe International (RNO) airport via all-weather I-80, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows can be easily reached on nonstop flights daily from 20 U.S. cities including Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York and more.

About NASTAR
NASTAR stands for NAtional STAndard Race and is the largest public grassroots ski racing program in the world. Founded in 1968, NASTAR gives recreational racers an opportunity to compete and compare their scores to friends and family regardless of when and where they race using the NASTAR handicap system. Today, NASTAR is operated by U.S. Ski & Snowboard. Through this association with U.S. Ski & Snowboard and the U.S. Ski Team, NASTAR is bringing greater awareness to the sport and value to the industry while motivating participants of all ages to get involved in ski racing. For more information, visit nastar.com.

About Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows
Voted ‘Best Ski Resort’ in North America for the second year in a row by USA Today and 10Best Readers’ Choice 2017, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is an internationally renowned mountain resort in North Lake Tahoe that spans over 6,000 skiable acres. The resort features slopeside lodging at The Village at Squaw Valley®, which bustles year round with nonstop events and over 50 bars, restaurants and boutiques. With an annual average of 450 inches of snowfall and 300 sunny days, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is known as the Spring Skiing Capital™ as it provides one of the longest ski and snowboard seasons in Lake Tahoe. Skiers and riders of all ability levels are welcomed by over 65 percent beginner and intermediate terrain, 14 easy-to-navigate mountain zones and a custom app to make the most of every visit. Visit squawalpine.comor call 1.800.403.0206 to learn more.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, you beat me to it..... I had to go in and get a colonoscopy today so I'm a little behind on everything today. This is a perfect reason to use my MCP Squaw days!

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was hoping they would be back at Steamboat so we could make it part of our planned Max Pass tour................oh well.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was hoping they would be back at Steamboat so we could make it part of our planned Max Pass tour................oh well.
No, Mountain Collective Pass tour now.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like it's the best situation Squaw could get after being shut out of hosting another FIS Alpine World Cup in 2017-18.

James

Out There
Instructor
Built on the legacy of the 1960 Winter Olympics hosted at Squaw Valley, the resort has since reared celebrated athletes such as Jonny Moseley, Julia Mancuso, Travis Ganong, Marco Sullivan, JT Holmes, Michelle Parker, Cody Townsend, Jeremy Jones, Ralph Backstrom, Nate Holland and Errol Kerr.
Who's Ralph? Curious no Ingrid Backstrom or mention of Arne.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who's Ralph? Curious no Ingrid Backstrom or mention of Arne.
Snowboarder. I imagine that Ralph has been to an Olympics. Arne and Igrid were not.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I see they have shuffled the schedule and the Race of Champions is now going to be held on Sunday.

Jimdh

Putting on skis
Skier
What's the hotel/lodging situation at the base of Squaw Valley/Alpine? Places with easy walk - ski to the lifts likely serving the race venues? Any places to avoid? Thanks in advance. Jimdh

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What's the hotel/lodging situation at the base of Squaw Valley/Alpine? Places with easy walk - ski to the lifts likely serving the race venues? Any places to avoid? Thanks in advance. Jimdh
Squaw Valley Inn and Squaw Valley Lodge will be your best bet for walking distance.
Squaw Creek is a little farther, but they have a shuttle.
We stayed at Squaw Valley Lodge during the Hot Dog Reunion weekend. The suites are pretty nice if you want a place with a kitchen and such.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Cheryl and I have stayed at the Plump Jack a couple of times, very nice (and close) but kind of on the pricey side. Breakfast and happy hour are both positives.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Jimdh My take is a few years old but I stayed anywhere in the valley I could when I was building our house.

I liked the Village at Squaw and Squaw Valley lodge. Christy Hill Inn and a VRBO condo under the tram (interesting nice neighborhood) were OK as well. All were walking distance to the lifts.

I never got to the Resort at Squaw Creek but a friend stayed there and it was posh. Never got to Plumpjack either. I really wanted to stay at Red Wolf but it didn't work out (closest to the lifts) - it was a timeshare that I was too lazy to chase. I'm not sure which one is the Squaw Valley Inn but I might have stayed there in high school decades ago (I'm sure it's better now - it's been redone enough that I can't recognize it). Motel 6 in Reno got a lot of my nights even though it was sketchy because it was right next to Home Depot - but not even close to the lifts.

Most of the houses in the valley are an easy drive. Unless you are really lazy, you should be able to beat the traffic and find a parking spot. Staying in Truckee or at the lake (or Reno) can put you in serious traffic.

I used Squaw Valley realty (the Poulsens) for a lot of my bookings. I met Tamara Mckinney after I'd finished my house but she's a realtor I'd also recommend.

Eric

Jimdh

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the information! Very much appreciated. J

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online