• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear Split skins

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So are they supposed to pinch together to grab the snow better?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So are they supposed to pinch together to grab the snow better?

No, the main conventional +++ IMO would be lighter than full skins. That site also seems to plug them as usable on different width skis. I've never heard that one before. :huh: Black Diamond used to make something similar, but with a plastic strip between the two skin sections. I was thinking those in the OP could get sporty putting them away in a stiff wind.

Last edited:
TS
BoofHead

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
the main advantage I was looking at was use on multiple skis. Reading up on split skins a bit and apparently they are favoured by guides as backup skins for clients due to their versatility so the split skin approach is not a new concept.
The main technology that Contour promote is their different approach to glue. They use a glue laminate system which makes them more manageable, allegedably.
My main concern was them blowing all over the place when removed but the vid below that they can be mostly folded up with the tail still connected. Around 1:10. Perfect conditions I know.
I've decided not to pull the trigger and get some for my upcoming trip but as a travelling skier,I do like the idea of minimising my kit. Except for skis, I like different skis.

Sponsor