• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
:roflmao: Yeah, I was just messin' around.

I figure if there is cloudcover I can run N, S, or E on farm roads to find clear sky.

He who walks between the rows will be looking for sacrifices during the event..

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I respect that we all have passions and a wide variety of them. Some I understand more than others. This one I sort of struggle with, but I find it fascinating that it's such a big part of TonyC's life, and that he and Liz met through this shared passion.

I guess I have to draw my line somewhere, and this one's not on my list. The last thing I need to do is to get hooked on something else!

Hoping for perfect weather for these chasing it. It's been interesting reading.

I spent most of my career in the insurance industry. At one point I was the CMO of a good sized insurer, and one of five on our operating committee. The CFO was a FSA, an actuary. We were totally different, and were jokingly referred to as ying and yang.

We became good friends, and had some great conversations. Brilliant guy. Loved his data points! Not many common interests, but a lot of respect and interest in each other's activities.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bend, Oregon is less than a day's drive away from me, and is also a place I love to visit. Would have been fun to go see the eclipse from there. But I have to work the 21st and can't afford more time off. I haven't been following the news much lately and have also been off Facebook (this forum is so refreshing), so I was a little late to know about the event. It is marked in my Sierra Club calendar but I din't read that in advance. Oh well.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can't believe how many people here aren't interested! I'm 100% on TonyC's side, and I've never seen a total solar eclipse! I traveled to New Mexico for the annular eclipse in 2012 and while it wasn't a life changing experience, I'm definitely happy I did it. But even that is NOTHING compared to what I hope to see on the 21st.

I kind of wish there were more people who didn't care...I wouldn't have to deal with a 2+ hour drive that would usually take 30 mins.

In other news, there will be another total eclipse in Syracuse in just 7 years, but probably no one will notice.
Yeah, probably because it will be cloudy. We're too familiar with clouds in the Northeast, and April is not a good time for an eclipse. I might fly to the south for that one, even if I am less than an hours drive from the path of totality.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
The last thing I need to do is to get hooked on something else!
Yes, per incident it's a far more expensive addiction than skiing. So maybe it's just as well they only occur once every 17 months or so. The Trump cartoon does bring up an interesting point. If the moon's orbit around the earth were in the same plane as the earth's orbit around the sun, central eclipses would be 6x as frequent as they are. In that scenario I don' t think there would be many people with long consecutive total eclipse streaks (mine stands currently at 8, Liz' at 6). I think consecutive year eclipse streaks would be like consecutive month ski streaks are among the ski community.

The usual high expense and inconvenience is the key reason I'm urging people to take advantage of the happy exception to that rule this time. And the publicity this time should enable some those who were caught by surprise (work commitments, etc.) to plan ahead for 2024. The publicity in SoCal for the Jan. 4, 1992 annular eclipse got me to a Griffith Observatory presentation which explained the nuances and provided a list of the remaining totals in the 1990's. With my kids aged 7 and 2 I wasn't going to any of the exotic places but I filed in the back of my mind that August 11, 1999 in Europe might be doable. So when my son Adam had a choir trip to Europe that ended on August 10, 1999, we knew what to do.

Yeah, probably because it will be cloudy. We're too familiar with clouds in the Northeast, and April is not a good time for an eclipse. I might fly to the south for that one, even if I am less than an hours drive from the path of totality.
April 8, 2024 does present the tantalizing prospect of skiing and seeing a total solar eclipse on the same day. Jay Peak is right on centerline. The northern limit passes through Montreal and Sugarbush/MRG are just inside the southern limit. Totality in Vermont/Eastern Townships ski country is about 3:30PM EDT. But yes the cloud stats say to go elsewhere. Most of us will be in Texas. My son Adam has already said he's going to Mexico.

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
April 8, 2024 does present the tantalizing prospect of skiing and seeing a total solar eclipse on the same day. Jay Peak is right on centerline. The northern limit passes through Montreal and Sugarbush/MRG are just inside the southern limit. Totality in Vermont/Eastern Townships ski country is about 3:30PM EDT. But yes the cloud stats say to go elsewhere. Most of us will be in Texas. My son Adam has already said he's going to Mexico.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. ;)

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
MadPatSki and I go way back on First Tracks and have skied together in Montana, Wyoming, Mammoth and Chile. I didn't lobby him about this eclipse, but he'll never hear the end of it if he passes up 2024, living in Ottawa. :D

And I strongly suspect he WILL try to ski and see the eclipse on the same day!

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
MadPatSki and I go way back on First Tracks and have skied together in Montana, Wyoming, Mammoth and Chile. I didn't lobby him about this eclipse, but he'll never hear the end of it if he passes up 2024, living in Ottawa. :D

And I strongly suspect he WILL try to ski and see the eclipse on the same day!

Hoping it's not overcast. Montreal is barely on the edge, so there's Whiteface, Gore, Eastern Townships, Northern Vermont, Sugarloaf .... and Marble Mountain NL that will be in the dark. Ski areas near Buffalo might not make it that late.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Anyone from Denver area wanna carpool or caravan up to Wyoming to get totality? I didn't book a room in Casper, so we can just stop on side of I25 north of Glendo and catch the view. :ogcool:

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I live less than 100 miles from the totality corridor. I actually had no idea it was happening before reading this thread.

I've decided to go. Thinking about watching from the top of Currahee Mountain (made famous by Band of Brothers).

Hope the weather works out. And I read the map correctly.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Can't believe how many people here aren't interested!
Can't believe how many people aren't interested in chasing tornado!

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watching world cup soccer!

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watch Tour de France!

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watching Pavarotti singing in the MET

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watching the Bolshoi Ballet

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in ....

The list goes on...

Can't believe how many people don't understand their life long dream are NOT shared by others!!!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I bought a bunch of cheap eclipse glasses, the ones that look like these:
3d  movie.jpg

Is there any way to determine if they are safe to use?

dm

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 27867

dm

Ya, I bought heavy but cheap welder's glasses for the family and the wife decided to order those 10 for $5 "Eclipse" glasses thinking they might be more safe. I already have the welder's glasses, ordered them weeks ago. I went outside and put them on and stared right at the sun for 30 seconds with zero discomfort. Took them off and didn't see spots and stars like you do when looking at the sun with less or no protection. I will again volunteer as Guinea pig when the "Eclipse" glasses arrive.

I'd say to just look in short sessions of a minute or so and not stare at the sun the whole time just to be safe.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can't believe how many people aren't interested in chasing tornado!

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watching world cup soccer!

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watch Tour de France!

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watching Pavarotti singing in the MET

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in watching the Bolshoi Ballet

Can't believe how many people aren't interested in ....

The list goes on...

Can't believe how many people don't understand their life long dream are NOT shared by others!!!

If any of the listed passions are in my backyard (like this eclipse, relatively), I will find the interest - or at least understand the passion of others. Spectacular things are a worthy event. Life is richer the more you experience.

@crgildart While not engineered for the sun and thus not recommended, arc welding lenses offer protection. Gas welder glasses do not offer enough protection. Eclipse glasses will be best (as long as they aren't fakes - unfortunately there are some fake eclipse glasses so be aware).

@Dave Marshak If the monster doesn't eat you those glasses should work.

Eric

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 27867

dm

The article I linked has a description of what to look for.
Make sure your glasses are rated ISO (International Organization for Standards) 12312-2

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January