• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird 2016-2017, The Revenge Of Ullr...

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Been pretty dry lately, took Snowbird till the last minute to make to the call to open this weekend. I'd bet Alta isn't happy, their ticket sales this weekend will be slim to absolutely nothing. For the 30 inches and warm temps we've gotten so far they've done a great job with it. The coverage is stellar and no chips were to be found today. Got there at 7:30 and watched the normal first day type stuff. Breakfast was cooked for gnar points and the usuals were present as the line grew. We scored 13th chair, the snow was stellar to begin the day. It's the usual bassackwards to emma, as the morning went on the line grew and the congestion amped up. Once the line hit 20 minutes we called it a day, which was quite early. It was pretty festive today, the hill was busy and the lot was full.

Early morning sunrise.

IMG_6456.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
So far tonight the file uploader isn't cooperating with me, I'm hoping the snow cooperates more tomorrow. It looks like a fair shot of snow tomorrow into the start of next week.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
First day of the Peruvian side! November started out pretty dry, but totally redeemed itself in the last week or so. The hill made a drastic change from last Saturday, the new snow made coverage quite extensive. They announced a few days ago that the Peruvian side would open today, there was a bit of confusion whether it would be from the opening bell. We got to the plaza at 8:00 to insure we were on the first tram just in case it was good to go from the opening bell. We were about 10 people from the front of the line, it was fun saying hi and seeing all the familiar faces from last season.

When we got to the top the ropes were pulled allowing access to the top of Chips. The Cirque, Upper Sliver Fox, and Baldy (even cheater) were still closed but everything else was good to go, even Anderson's was fully open. The tram line got about a three boat wait around 10:30 and headed down to Gadzoom. The line was pretty small but the early season choices over there tend to put everyone on the same runs, Emma was quite busy. We headed back to the tram to find they'd surprisingly opened the Peruvian lift which took a little pressure off the tram line.. We made a few more tram laps and called it a day. Patrollers were getting ready to open Blackjack but my thighs couldn't stand another run. We heard charges being set off in the Gad 2 area in the afternoon, hopefully they're getting close over there.

First tracks of the season into Stu's Trees.

IMG_6490.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
A little more elbow room each day. I got to the tram plaza a little later today, around 8:30. The lack of new snow and no large terrain openings didn't cause a rush, when I joined the tram line I was the fourth person in line. I rolled solo today and just kinda noodled around. The snow was still in good shape and little to no firm spots on the groomers. There are a few rocks and what not poking through here and there but coverage is still good. They opened the Upper Silver Fox gate into Rats Nest, people were Cool Whipping it from there and getting some tasty looking lines in Mid Cirque. I talked to a Patroller and they were planning on opening the Mid Baldy (aka cheater baldy) gate as well. It certainly looks like they're pretty close to opening Gad 2, they have groomers cut down Bananas and Election. Forgot to mention it was fun to ski with Vince K for a couple runs yesterday, I'm sure Travis and I will be making more turns with him this season.

Shot from the first tram of the day.

IMG_6505.JPG

Looking across the street.

IMG_6507.JPG

Lotta guns laying down powder today.

IMG_6510.JPG

Lines on Mid Cirque.

IMG_6513.JPG

I got one of these the first day of the season at the end of the day. Since then I haven't seen any more of them or any offers to scan.

IMG_6504.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
They opened the Gad2 lift and the Cirque today. The forecast is looking good for tomorrow.

Saturday
Snow. Temperature falling to around 28 by 8am. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Storm riding for tomorrow!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It was a worrisome start to the day as I got up at 6:30 and looked out the window to see it pouring rain outside. I checked the Snowbird website and was dismayed to see a temp of 38 degrees at the base. I thought back to some of the rain days last spring and considered staying in my warm bed.

But, I was up and hadn't planned anything else, so off to Snowbird it was. I left to put me there around 8:15, all the way across the valley my worry increased. The rain never let up and when I got close to the Cottonwoods I could see rain as far up as I could see on Mt. Olympus. It rained all the way up my drive up 210 until I hit Tanner's, there thankfully it turned over to snow. It was snowing light flakes fairly hard when I parked on the bypass road.

I geared up and easily made first tram, they loaded us a few minutes early and off we went. It was pretty breezy up top for most of the day. It snowed most of the day but not a huge amount of accumulation. Today was more about the wind transported snow. The top of Reg was pretty wind scoured but got softer lower down. The Cirque traverse is in great shape, a few rocks early on but then it gets surprisingly fat at the ridgeline. I hit the line before Glen's a couple times and found an open field with about three tracks on it, easily plenty for myself. I hit up Eddie Moe bowl around noon and found the same thing, an open powder field for the taking.

The tram got a bit busy around noon, they were running barrels all day and that didn't help the line. But, I'm all for anything that lets them run it in higher winds. Little Cloud isn't running yet and the tram is the only access to the Cirque, once Little Cloud opens the pressure will lessen on the tram.

We didn't get as much out of this first storm wave as forecasted but it looks like the second wave is the real deal. It's been raining in the valley all evening, it's supposed to continue for most of the night and pile up a fair amount of snow. I'm hoping there isn't a canyon closure tomorrow but I'm formulating some contingency plans in case it does happen...

It didn't look good while driving down Wasatch Blvd.

IMG_6528.JPG

Looking over at Glen's.

IMG_6529.JPG

Looking over at Baldy from the Cirque Traverse.

IMG_6531.JPG

Sharks in Eddie Moe Bowl.

IMG_6532.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
If anyone ever tells you that Sunday's in Utah are good days to ski because all the locals are in church don't believe them. Today was a great example of the biggest driver of crowds, snow. I got up early today to see a report of 7 inches, by the time I got out of the shower it was up to 8 inches. I picked up my buddy Travis and we headed up, the LCC road was noticeably busier. We got to the bypass at about 8:10 and we were already parked up near the bottom of Whodunnit.

We geared up and headed down to the tram to find our hopes of first tram dashed. We were at least inside but second tram was to be ours. There was a bit of a delay first thing and they didn't load first tram till about 9:12. The Peruvian side was red lighted for most of the morning, Regulator was the only way down from the top.

The snow was a bit variable on the Gad side, certain aspects were a bit slabby. We hit up an Eddie Moe and found good snow and proceeded to lap that for a while awaiting the opening of the Peruvian side and the Cirque. Around noon one of my buddies wanted to go check out Gad2, we haven't skied over there yet this season but I argued we should head up the tram and wait up top for the Cirque to open. My argument won out and we headed down to a two boat wait for the tram.

When we got to the bottom we were happy to see them running the Peruvian lift, they weren't loading yet but it was a good sign. While we were waiting in the tram line the Peruvian lift green lighted and the Cirque Traverse green lighted. A full tram hit it ahead of us but I knew we'd still find the goods, and we did. The light brightened up considerably at that point as well, the sun came out and made an enjoyable run. We skied the line up from Glens, the snow was noticeably better, deep blower.

It was so good we had to hit it up again, we headed down to the tram and saw a pretty big Peruvian line. Once at the plaza we joined a tram line that stretched into the plaza past the season ticket office. If that wasn't bad enough it went around the building with a sight I'd never seen before, a triple maze on the around the building loop. It was probably a 40 minute line, we found out later they'd had to stop tram operations to run the safety rope to clear rime off its cable. The stoppage lasted about fifteen minutes and massively backed the line up. We hit another Glens to find it still soft even though a bit more chopped up. We'd had enough of the lines at that point and called it a day.

Early morning Eddie Moe snow.

IMG_6544.JPG

The sun came out and we found plenty of room for tracks of our own.

IMG_6552.JPG

Baldy has to be getting close to open, viewed from the Cirque Traverse.

IMG_6553.JPG

Goodness on the Cirque...

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

Triple maze around the building.

IMG_6548.JPG

The Cirque Traverse is in good shape.

IMG_6561.JPG

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier

With the very limited openings that happened today tomorrow should be quite spicey. It's gonna be cold but hopefully the stable weather will allow patrol to get some stuff done. I'm guessing we have Mineral sometime this weekend.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will be skiing out there Jan 22-28, appreciate the status reports. Travis looking good in that video. My son is instructing on Sundays at the Bird this season.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Howdy Jim, we'll definitely have to get together for some turns when you are here. I see Vince most weekends (although not today) and it was he I mentioned skiing with a few posts back.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
If you want to get over 50 days a season as a mostly weekend warrior you have to go when it's bad, good, and sometimes when people tell you that you shouldn't. Earlier in the week I wasn't feeling well and developed flu like symptoms, they didn't go away after a couple days and I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon. Strep throat was the diagnosis, he prescribed me an antibiiotic and told me to rest for the next 48 hours. I looked at him and said, "By 'rest' do you mean ski?" He didn't find it as funny as I did, but I knew the forecast and knew his suggestion was going to go unheeded.

I slept like crap last night and woke up around 4, I knew the road was closing from 5:30 to 7:30 and tried to get ahold of Travis to convince him we needed to go early. He didn't reply to a text until 6:15 so I was hoping the traffic wouldn't be that bad today. I picked him up at 7:10 and we headed towards the Little. We seemed to time it right and only hit a bit of traffic just as the road turned to the left heading into the canyon. We made it to the lot by 8:20 and to the lift corral by 8:45. The line up wasn't very big considering it snowed almost 30 inches in the last 48 hours and most terrain had been closed. I'm guessing a lot of people were stuck in traffic trying to get up the canyon.

I'd parked down at the cat crossover near Zoom in case the Peruvian side never got open. Our first run down from Zoom it became apparent today was going to be tasty, the snow was blower, and lots of it. We hit our usual spots and worked the tram when it joined the possibilities, Regulator/little cloud bowl/puckerbrush was the only way down and was skiing quite nicely. Finally on one of the tram laps the operator got a call as we neared top that they were opening the Peruvian side and the Cirque was open!

We beat feet out to Lower Cirque and skied one of our usual lines near Glen's. OMG, best run of the season by far, untouched bottomless goodness. The snow was perfect, you could make any turn from a hard envelope yourself in over the headedness to throttle up trenches. We continued on to the far left side of Andersons and Primrose to the Rothman Way. At the top of the short incline on Rothmans we came across the lower section of Mach Schnell with not a track on it, more glorious powder! We didn't get any action pics today as it was nice to feel the ski legs come around and rip full pitches of smooth powder.

Right about 1:30 a noticeable temp decrease happened, the air became a lot more crisp and I could feel my bases dragging. We called it a day at that point. It looks like Mineral was still sitting there and may be a treat for tomorrow, the Road to Provo is still waiting for a season first opening as well. It shouldn't be long before we have the entire mountain available to play on.

Fairly short early season conga line. The UPD officer was out of his vehicle and checking for 4x4, AWD, and tires.

IMG_6571.JPG

The sun shone through here and there.

IMG_6565.JPG

It snowed a bit during the morning, maybe an inch.

IMG_6569.JPG

Get there early and park like a rock star.

IMG_6572.JPG

Parking lot glasses of wine quickly became slushies.

IMG_6573.JPG

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good stuff! Skiing through strep throat is pretty burly! Is parking still free on bypass rd and down near creekside this winter?

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Yup, no change on the parking situation. I don't think their RIDE program really changed things, The lots were all full today with plenty of people cruising for spots when we left.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Brrr! I got up at my normal time, took a shower and then heard the siren song of my warm bed. I slept an extra 45 minutes and headed up, the plan was to meet my buddy Travis and ski with him and his two kids. I got to the bypass at 9:05 and had to park all the way up by Powderbirds. It was quite chilly, booting up was uncomfortable. We got the kids up the tram but the cold was taking a toll, they were only good for one lap before we took them back to Travis's truck.

After making sure they were warm, entertained and fed we headed out for a tram lap. When we were loaded they announced Mineral was opening at top, the car up top would be first tram in and we'd be second. Travis had to get back down to the kiddies so he missed it, I almost felt bad skating away from him. Then I skied Cham Bowl! If yesterday's run on the Cirque was the season's best Cham Bowl had to be a close second. It wasn't over the head blower but it was a nice consolidated 5 or so inches on a smooth surface. Fall line speed was where it was at.

I got down to MBX and encountered the line I figured I would, hit the singles line and managed to get through in about 10-15 minutes. I thought about making some more runs back there but knew the line would continue to get worse. I went to the frontside to find it vacant and enjoyed some runs in the quiet.

I got down to the lot and decided to drive over to the Big and say hi to Solifriends. My son has a Solitude pass this season and uses my truck when it snows. It was like deja vu all over again to pull in and see my truck on the back row. Solitude never ceases to be my first home and I love the folks over there.

Travis and the kiddies up top.

IMG_6596.JPG

Traversing to Cham.

IMG_0947.JPG

Cham above,

IMG_6590.JPG

Cham below.

IMG_6598.JPG

Who cares just above the car.

IMG_6602.JPG

The terrain not open is becoming very small, the Road to Provo and Thunder Bowl areas are the only major terrain areas not open.

Sponsor

Staff online